SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
nickroa95
nickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Dazed Question for SL2 owners WITH FOG LIGHTS!

Hi guys, I'm trying to install factory fog lights in my SL1 (third gen) and need to know (since I cannot find the answer anywhere), do your fog lights sit in front of your bumper or behind it? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nickroa95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nickroa95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nickroa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2016, 11:40 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Question for SL2 owners WITH FOG LIGHTS!

They bolted to the bumper support/frame behind the bumper cover on all the S-Series I've owned with fog lights (2 '96 SC2's and a '97 SL2).

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:43 PM   #3
grant404
grant404 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if I understand the question. The factory fog lights on a third generation SL are mounted in openings in the lower part of the bumper cover. If the vehicle did not come with fog lights from the factory, there are black plastic plugs in the light openings. Those plugs pop right out. The OEM fog lights are the same shape as the openings and mount right behind the openings. You will also need the OEM light mounts, which attach to mounting points (two, I think?) that are already present on the vehicle. Those OEM fog light mounts can be hard to come by. You pretty much have to get lucky and find an OEM fog light equipped third gen SL in a salvage yard somewhere and hope someone else hasn't already snagged them.

The wiring harness is perhaps the hardest thing to come by if the vehicle did not come with fog lights from the factory. It's part of the complete front lighting group harness, but if it did not have the fogs when it left Spring Hill, there will be no connections for the fog lights. In my experience, a good, intact front lighting group wiring harness for a fog light equipped third gen Saturn is difficult to find at a Pick-n-Pull or anywhere else. If you can find one somewhere, disconnecting it from the donor and reconnecting it to your vehicle involves taking the underhood fuse boxes ofbototrraparrt apart and transferring putting the fuse pins, fuse, and relay for the fog lights to the proper place in your fuse box, then connecting the new harness. You would have to strip out the existing front lighting group harness from your vehicle while paying close attention to how it's run, protected, and secured.

You can also attempt to strip just the fog light wiring out of an OEM harness instead of unwiring the entire front lighting group, but that becomes a real mess because the wiring for all of the front lights is bundled together and taped (lots of tape) into protective plastic tubing.

If you can't find an OEM harness or you just don't want to go through the work with the OEM harness and fuse box you can wire the fog lights separately, but they won't work exactly like factory equipped fog lights. For example, they won't work with the factory on/off switch, and they won't go off automatically when you switch on the high beams.

Speaking of the switch, if you go the OEM wiring harness route you'll also need the OEM switch module, but those are pretty easy to get. Factory fog light-equipped third gen S-cars have the fog light switch built into the dash light brightness rheostat module. The non-fog light rheostat module pops right out and unplugs and a fog light button equipped module pops right in, and you can generally find those online (ebay), or occasionally from a Pick-n-Pull donor.

The whole thing is a bit of a PITA, so on my 2rd gen SL2 I went the route of using OEM fog lights (new), OEM brackets (Pick-n-Pull), and an aftermarket fog light-only wiring harness and hidden switch instead of messing with my existing OEM front lighting group wiring harness.

Last edited by grant404; 03-10-2016 at 11:52 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grant404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grant404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
grant404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #4
grant404

A too-late correction, my vehicle is also a 3rd gen SL2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help grant404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:17 AM   #5
nickroa95
nickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Ahh okay. Yeah I know where the mount is located as I have the mounting bracket on the car already. But when I attach the housing, the lights sit behind the bumper and there's a very small (~1mm) gap between the fog light housing and the bumper cover. I just wanted to make sure this is normal. Is it? I would think the lights sit flush with the bumper against it, does that make sense?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nickroa95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

It's a Saturn...everything has a panel gap unless it'd let water in on your head...

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
grant404

Yes, that gap is normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Thanks for the feedback guys, I took what you guys said and placed the fog lights behind my bumper and now I officially have fog lights on my 01 SL1! Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

Sweet. The fog lights are cool! I just installed into my 99 sl2 after pulling them from the junkyard.

Peter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote