SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Harrison486
Harrison486 is on a distinguished road

Question Best Way To Attack the Rear Deck?

What's going on everyone?

Well, this summer I have been attacking the many rattles that plague my car. I have gotten rid of most of them, but the rear deck is still rattling. Ive noticed that the rear deck, or the carpeting and foam that covers it, bounces up and down like crazy when I play my music, and the rattling that I am hearing is coming from the noise of it bouncing on the metal below....

I finally got the rear deck covering off today and am trying to figure out what exactly to do. Basically with the rear deck covering off, it is somewhat apparent what is going on. Between the rear speakers, there are two fairly large cutouts in the metal frame of the rear deck. I assume that air being pushed by my subs is escaping through these holes and pushing the covering up, thus causing it to bounce around like crazy.

Now, what would be the best way to attack this problem?

Should I just cover the whole metal rear deck (frame, holes, and all) with sound deadening material and then put the rear deck cover back on?

Should I cut holes in the rear deck cover that match up exactly with the holes in the rear deck? Wouldn't this allow the bass to still get into the car easily, but alleviate the rattle?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

HERE ARE SOME PICTURES TO HELP YOU SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img0191by3.jpg (139.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg img0192yz4.jpg (127.6 KB, 51 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harrison486's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harrison486 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harrison486 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
Default Re: Best Way To Attack the Rear Deck?

Try top-mounting the speakers like I did with my Ion. I added a 3/4" plywood stiffener between the steel and the upholstery panel. I can pump serious power into the top model Rockford Fosgate 6.5s with no vibration or rattle. Your rear deck looks much easier to deal with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
92SL1Mann
Advanced Member
92SL1Mann is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
1996 SC2

i had the same problem - i went with the quick fix: with the rear deck still on i just shoved a piece of cardboard wide enough to go between the speakers between the covering and the metal frame- keeps everything tight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SL1Mann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SL1Mann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SL1Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
choc citysaturn
choc citysaturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Yeah every time I would close the trunk the rear deck would bounce up and hit the glass. Dynamated and dynalined the entire rear deck no problems since, just get enough dynamat to cover the four big holes and you should be good.

My number one goal is to make my saturn better now than when I bought it in Dec of 1993. IMPORT FIGHTER

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to choc citysaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help choc citysaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
choc citysaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
OldGuy43
OldGuy43 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Mad Re: Best Way To Attack the Rear Deck?

Not trolling, but I suggest you turn down the volume. You've found one of my pet peeves. People who think I want to hear their music.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldGuy43's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldGuy43 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldGuy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison486 View Post
What's going on everyone?
Now, what would be the best way to attack this problem?
So what did you do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote