SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 09:48 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default SaturnFans Server Outage

Earlier today some of you may have noticed that this message board, the SaturnFans photo gallery, and links database was not working properly. I'm working on a permanent fix, but in case it happens again I wanted to let everyone know why its happening.

The Saturnalia is experiencing "growing pains".

Its sounds silly, but its true. I'm not sure what happened, but visitor traffic to SaturnFans.com has surged since the end of June. Hits to this web site have never been higher. I'll be posting a more formal announcement about this soon, but for the first time SaturnFans is going to serve more than 1/2 million pages in one month.

My web host notified me of the increased traffic volume earlier this month, and I upgraded my server. As a result of the continued growth, I will be upgrading the server again.

Five years ago when I created Saturnalia, I never dreamed that this site would draw so much traffic. I remember when I had just 20 people visiting the site each day. I owe a big "thank you" to all the SaturnFans members and visitors who have helped make the site what it is today. SaturnFans wouldn't have lasted as long as it has without everyone's feedback and support.

I hope to put these recent server glitches behind us very soon. Next month, I will start implementing a number of other improvements to the site that I've been working on behind the scenes. I think you'll like what's coming...

Thanks again for your patronage,
Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2001, 10:12 PM   #2
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Interesting that this subject area would see such an increase in usage. I think we should all chip in and buy Charlie a Saturn as a reward for all his hard work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2001, 01:16 AM   #3
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

Charlie, I think you deserve a great pat on the back (and a free Saturn!) for all the time and effort you've put in the past years to make this site the great site that it is today. I first found this site three years ago, and have been actively visiting this site and message board for the past two years. It's amazing to see how much this site has grown over the years, especially since you have changed the URL to www.saturnfans.com. I'm glad to have been around to see that progress.

Hehe...I think more people visit this site everyday than the official Saturn Corp. site.

Here's to many more years of Saturnalia.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2001, 10:24 AM   #4
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

Congrats on your fine work, Charlie. Too bad this isn't 2-3 years ago- you could have gone for an IPO and made yourself a mint! I just noticed an Orbitz ad- is advertising starting to pick up a bit?

It would be interesting to see stats against the corportate Saturn site, but I seriously doubt they would release those- might prove embarrassing for them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2001, 07:00 PM   #5
Patrick_97SC2
Advanced Member
Patrick_97SC2 is on a distinguished road

I get about 5k page views and about 450 unique visitors to my site right now. Not to bad considering its been up since April.

At any rate, I'm sure Charlie blows corporate out of the water in hit just because the Saturn site isn't interactive. One of the keys in internet marketing is having stuff for people to come back to. Online communities are pretty neat to watch. You get a couple of poeple talking then tell others about it. They join in and before you know it, it spreads like the plaque lol. I've been impressed with all the information that Charlie gets and how clean the site still is after all the information.

-Patrick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Patrick_97SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Patrick_97SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2001, 07:44 PM   #6
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

A couple of years ago the Saturn Corp site used to win awards for being innovative, but like the S series cars, I think the rest of the www world has passed it by. They do refresh it once in a while (and not always for the better - meaning ease of use, etc.), but I think it has probably only been redone about every 6 to 9 months, and doesn't change that much from week to week let alone DAILY. Thanks to Charlie, we get more timely information HERE than you can get at the Saturn website or probably at MOST Saturn retailers (I tipped mine off to SaturnFans). Charlie also has a staff of one, so he doesn't have to run everything by a million committees before it gets posted.

Thank you Charlie! At 6'5" and 260 lbs I am surely one of your "biggest" fans. :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2001, 08:26 PM   #7
Diggs
Diggs is on a distinguished road

Jim,

Don't get on the other end of my teeter-totter unless you want to spend a lot of time in the air. ;-) I'm also 6'5", but 260 was a while ago. I think I may be Charlie's "biggest" fan.

Diggs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diggs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diggs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2001, 10:05 PM   #8
OPEC
OPEC is on a distinguished road

Whoa! 1/2 million pages served?

Nice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2001, 05:00 PM   #9
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Thanks for your kind words! Like I've said before, SaturnFans.com wouldn't be the site it is today without the feedback and support from everyone.

Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread