SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #21
destiel4ever
destiel4ever is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Replacing Thermostat '92 SC, How to Remove Alternator?

I tried my hardest, but I'm calling to get it scrapped tommorow. Trying to get the bolts off of the Air Compressor was damn near impossible, I was yanking the engine back and forth with every pull. I lost my cool and shattered all the windows. Damn thermostat. Last saturn I'll ever own I don't know how you guys love it so much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to destiel4ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help destiel4ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
destiel4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #22
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

It's too bad he was lead astray with playing with the belt, alternator, etc. All he needed was some socket extensions and it's a 30 minute job.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #23
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
It's too bad he was lead astray with playing with the belt, alternator, etc. All he needed was some socket extensions and it's a 30 minute job.

-Robert
I agree. I removed the housing and thermostat without even considering moving anything else out of the way. It just takes a little creativity occasionally with the socket set.

1999 Saturn SL2 automatic (DC Commuter, 92k miles)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 (toy and sometimes commuter, 18k miles)
1996 Jeep Cherokee 5-speed (bad weather commuter, 189k miles)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #24
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiel4ever View Post
I tried my hardest, but I'm calling to get it scrapped tommorow. Trying to get the bolts off of the Air Compressor was damn near impossible, I was yanking the engine back and forth with every pull. I lost my cool and shattered all the windows. Damn thermostat. Last saturn I'll ever own I don't know how you guys love it so much.
Holy crap!

It's super easy without the resonator, but you have to have some patience. Worst case you put the car on ramps and get at the bolts from underneath...granted I've had some that had really stuck bolts that required an impact gun...

I never understood getting so angry that you break your own valuable stuff...

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #25
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

I was changing the starter in my '95 without the splash-shield under the radiator, so took these pix of the view from down there. Once you get oriented by the hoses, you will see that both t-stat screws are very visible and fairly reasonable to reach. Just sayin'...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lower screw.jpg (92.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg upper screw.jpg (134.7 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #26
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Would've made more sense to drive it over to someone else and pay them to do it, than to destroy your car. But hey, your money.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:14 PM   #27
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I still think that with a couple socket extensions to get the right length its an easy job with nothing more required than removing the resonator box.

If your criteria for a job is that you have to have clear vision of the bolt there are going to be a lot of things you won't be able to do.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #28
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Of course having clear vision isn't absolutely necessary, the top screw on the starter I was replacing only took a few seconds to get started (it helps that the DB starter is a small little peanut!). However, what does it take to remove that lower splash-shield? Isn't that just a couple of plastic rivets and springs to unhook? Peace on this, though, we are all agreed that a t-stat isn't a tough job, no matter how you go about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:40 PM   #29
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I was referring to the OP who seemed to have the goal of getting a clear view of the bolts. I assume that was the motivation of his addition effort.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #30
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Another knucklehead, another dead Saturn.

I will however give the OP credit for honesty.

97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el diablo viejo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote