SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
gratefuldad
gratefuldad is on a distinguished road

Attention Input on repair issue needed 2003 vue

Had my vehicle in to a local shop... First they fixed a leak in the valve cover gasket, then serviced the differential. They then talked my bro into paying to get the thermostat housing despite admitting to me, the vehicle owner, that he heard me say that I did not want it done due to cost and complicity. Long story short, my car does not run now. They claim a foreign body was found fused between the cam lobe and lifter... They claim that there is no way they could have done it... When it bound up on the object, it also sheared the gear off of said camshaft.

Any of you guys seen something like this before or recognize the mystery piece? Could it really have been in the valve cover are for the last 6 mos, and wait until now to be an issue? I have that distinct feeling that I'm being treated less than honestly...

I don't have a photo bucket or anything, but I'll try to post the pics anyways...

I think I attached some photos, one of the cam by the #3 cylinder where the piece was found. One of the busted gear, and one of the offending piece of metal...

I welcome any and all thoughts, no matter how bizarre or off the wall they seem...

TIA!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (120.1 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gratefuldad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gratefuldad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gratefuldad is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
gratefuldad

Default Re: Input on repair issue needed 2003 vue

Oops, here's the pics again...Attachment 45304
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (212.8 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gratefuldad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
gratefuldad

One at a time I guess...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.4 KB, 20 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The piece near the quarter appears to be the square key used to align the cam gear to the camshaft. If it is, the only way for this key to fall out would be if the camshaft mounting bolt was left loosened from a previous repair or loosened up on its own (unlikely if torqued correctly).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I suspect you've identified the part but have failed by not recognizing the world famous and not so wildly popular Sacagawea dollar coin.

gratefuldad ... just curious if you carry that as a good luck charm and also if you by chance also carry the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin?

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
gratefuldad

Yes, I agree, but how could it wind up under the valve cover?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Easy it was placed there.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #8
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuldad View Post
Yes, I agree, but how could it wind up under the valve cover?
I'm slightly confused, was the Sacagawea coin found inside the valve cover or inside your pocket?

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote