SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
rpneal44
rpneal44 is on a distinguished road

Default Horn, and ODB II port

I hope this forum is still active. I recently bought a 2004 Saturn Vue, 5-sp, and have a couple of electrical issues. One is the horn circuit. I traced that down initially to a blown fuse under the hood. However, when I replace the fuse the horn relay immediately activates, so I know it's good. okay, maybe a bad horn switch. So, since this is integral to the air bag module on the steering wheel, is it serviceable once I remove the module?

Second is the ODB port. My reader doesn't get any serial data from it. Won't read a thing. Doesn't seem to work at all!! I've had the guys at Auto Zone try it: same thing, as did the guys at the oil change place. This issue, I suspect, is related to the "Maintenance Required" indicator on the dash being lit steady. (the car symbol with a wrench in it). How VAGUE is THAT??!! I haven't been successful in finding an inclusive wiring schematic of the vehicle yet so have not been able to trace these issues.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance...Phil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rpneal44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rpneal44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rpneal44 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Horn, and ODB II port

1. Yes this forum is still active.
2. The horn switch is at fault.
3. You need a techII to read the service codes. A generic OBD2 scanner can read some (not all) of the P, Check Engine light codes.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
cdes
cdes will become famous soon enough

Get your trusty multi-meter and check pin 16 (battery 12V+) and pin 4/5 (chassis and signal ground) for basic operation of the port. If you won't get an operation voltage, trace the respective fuse (I don't have a wire diagram handy, so IDK which one it is).

'06 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5-spd Manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
cdes
cdes will become famous soon enough

In addition to the above: it is usually a power issue when there is absolutely no signal exchange because almost all code readers you can buy nowadays (even the cheap ELM clones from China) support different protocols, like CAN, J1850, ISO9141. Each protocol is using different pins from the port, so a single signal cable issue or so would still leave other communication options on the table.

If you don't have a multi-meter, is the back light of the readers display or some LED lighting up as soon as you plug it in with the ignition in the ON position?

The whole port can of course be deactivated by cutting all wires going to it but IIRC, that would be clearly visible under the Vue's dash.

'06 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5-spd Manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpneal44 View Post
I hope this forum is still active. I recently bought a 2004 Saturn Vue, 5-sp, and have a couple of electrical issues. One is the horn circuit. I traced that down initially to a blown fuse under the hood. However, when I replace the fuse the horn relay immediately activates, so I know it's good. okay, maybe a bad horn switch. So, since this is integral to the air bag module on the steering wheel, is it serviceable once I remove the module?

Second is the ODB port. My reader doesn't get any serial data from it. Won't read a thing. Doesn't seem to work at all!! I've had the guys at Auto Zone try it: same thing, as did the guys at the oil change place. This issue, I suspect, is related to the "Maintenance Required" indicator on the dash being lit steady. (the car symbol with a wrench in it). How VAGUE is THAT??!! I haven't been successful in finding an inclusive wiring schematic of the vehicle yet so have not been able to trace these issues.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance...Phil.
Absolutely no argument with Portugal Focus and cdes ... I'll try to add a couple of things - just in case.

If the horn relay latches when fuse is inserted the horn should sound - it may be disconnected or used-up. Normal fail mode of airbag horn switch is to short closed. Many owners snip horn wire to airbag and add a new separate horn switch. You can find lots of horn information in this thread (go to POST 21 of thread for updated information):

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...light=vue+horn

Regarding OBD ... I've attached diagram for 04 Vue with manual trans. I agree with cdes about checking for 12 v and ground. The Vue does not use typical GM data protocol. I have code readers that will read Vue P and U codes but readers either must auto find KWP-2000 or I have to force it to read those codes using manual setup.

And as PortugalFocus mentions - I believe GM dealers have to pull those wrench codes ... I've not tried to pull one from my modules but recall reading the GM Tech II is weapon of choice.

Incidentally - a bad or missing horn relay (or fuse?) will set a wrench code. That could be why your light is on. If so, it should clear after several start and warmup cycles.

Good luck and keep in touch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04 Vue - OBD Manual Trans.jpg (89.3 KB, 2 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote