SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
travis_h
travis_h is on a distinguished road

Default Trailer hitch wiring

Does anyone have any experience with wiring an SL2 for a trailer? Someone I talked to said I would have to run wire all the way from the battery, but I thought I could just splice it from the tail lights. Any info would be great. Thanks

I have a 94 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travis_h's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travis_h reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travis_h is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Trailer hitch wiring

I believe Madpouge has the scoop on this and what you have to do. If you do not hear from him send off a PM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

I have trailer wires installed by the guy who put my hitch on. It is spliced into the tail lights on the driver's side. Pull down the carpeting on the rear quarter and that's where it's spliced in. There is a MME brand adapter, which is a flat adapter wired inline. I can try to take a picture for you tomorrow night if you need it.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growser View Post
I have trailer wires installed by the guy who put my hitch on. It is spliced into the tail lights on the driver's side. Pull down the carpeting on the rear quarter and that's where it's spliced in. There is a MME brand adapter, which is a flat adapter wired inline. I can try to take a picture for you tomorrow night if you need it.
I'm curious about this. I assume you're talking about something like the "T-connector" available for most cars, that fits the car's existing wiring harness connector, and tees off to a trailer connector. Problem with our cars is that there isn't a single connector carrying all the circuits; the right-side light wiring is on its own connector. For that reason, I haven't seen one of these available for our cars. I had to use the "puncture-the-insulation" type splicers, one for each circuit (stop, tail, left turn, right turn). AFAIK, you have to at least run one wire to the right side of the car, for the right-side turn signal circuit. Yeah, please post a pic; I'm anxious to have something more elegant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, this isn't just a simple plug in adapter. You do have to splice in on both sides.

This is the Wiring Adapter.

This where it splices in on the left side - wide view.

Left side close-up.

Wired to right side.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

Last edited by Growser; 12-06-2008 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: imaging

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Okay, that's the converter you need to make the brake light filaments in the trailer blink with the turn signals. This is because our cars have separate circuits for the brake lights and turn signals. A lot of cheapo American cars combine these two circuits, making trailer lighting simpler. (It complicates lighting in the car itself, though.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
alyssanmarco
alyssanmarco is on a distinguished road

Can I just splice them without the adapter? I had the adapter but it wasn't letting the brakes or blinkers work. (A short I believe) had an electrician cut it off and he had the extra red wire spliced in with the brown and everything was working but then it started smoking in my trunk and I could smell burnt rubber. So he cut it off. I tried splicing back into the adapter, but nothing. No lights even when before I had them. Mines a 97 Saturn sl2. I'll attach a picture of my splice into the adapter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151217_150059.jpg (206.5 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alyssanmarco's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alyssanmarco reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alyssanmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
alyssanmarco
alyssanmarco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Okay, that's the converter you need to make the brake light filaments in the trailer blink with the turn signals. This is because our cars have separate circuits for the brake lights and turn signals. A lot of cheapo American cars combine these two circuits, making trailer lighting simpler. (It complicates lighting in the car itself, though.)

Do you mean the brake lights will also blink and not stay solid?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alyssanmarco's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alyssanmarco reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alyssanmarco is offline   Reply With Quote