SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
cme1st2302
cme1st2302 has a spectacular aura aboutcme1st2302 has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L
Dizzy Radio Light Change

Has anyone ever tried to change the bulb in the stock radio (I'm guessing it's inside) to a LED bulb, or even just had to replace it? I am going to swap all of the gauge cluster and HVAC control bulbs to LED's and wanted to change the radio to match.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Chris

To the optimist the glass is half full. To the pessimist the glass is half empty. To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cme1st2302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cme1st2302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cme1st2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
Deltaphi216
Deltaphi216 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Radio Light Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme1st2302 View Post
Has anyone ever tried to change the bulb in the stock radio (I'm guessing it's inside) to a LED bulb, or even just had to replace it? I am going to swap all of the gauge cluster and HVAC control bulbs to LED's and wanted to change the radio to match.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Chris
nope. haven't gotten to it yet. I've swapped most of mine to white led already. Just need the window switches, heated seat switches, and the radio.

-2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5speed - on engine #2 - damn timing chains!
-2006 Nissan Xterra S - Ordering parts for a Titan swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deltaphi216's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deltaphi216 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deltaphi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
cme1st2302

2003 VUE 3.0L

Maybe I'll tear it apart neek weekend and let you know how hard it is if it can be done.

As far as the other lights....I am changing the Instrument and HVAC bulbs out for LED's. I already had the center console apart to see how hard it would be to change the window switches, AC, Rear Defrost and Air recycle buttons to a different color LED and it didn't look to hard so I'll be tackling that soon. I have the wiring all ran to add a glove box light and all I have to do is drill the hole for the switch and that will be done.

Thanks,
Chris

To the optimist the glass is half full. To the pessimist the glass is half empty. To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cme1st2302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
cme1st2302

2003 VUE 3.0L
Idea Re: Radio Light Change

I am taking the radio apart to change the light to a white LED this weekend.

For the rest of the lights......So far I've changed Liscense Plate Lamps, Map Lights, Dome Lights, HVAC, Instrument Cluster and the light under the gear selector. I also added a glove box light which I purchased a door ajar switch and wired it in and it looks like it is stock. I have to take apart the Instrument Cluster this weekend to diagnose why two of the lights aren't working. I have the 3mm LED's on order to change the window, fog light, A/C, Rear Defroster, Air Recycle and Cruise Control Switch LED's to white as well.

WISH ME LUCK!!!!
Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
cme1st2302

2003 VUE 3.0L

So I took the radio out yesterday to change them bulbs to LED with no luck. When I did my test run to take the radio apart I failed to notice that the LCD was soldered on as well as the metal bracket that holds it in place. I did not have any solder wick on me to remove it so that will be a job for another day.

So on to the things I did accomplish....(all using 3mm white LED's)
I did get to change both lights on the fog light switch. There is one that lights up the switch which is a mini incandescent and the other that lets you know its on which is an LED. One thing to note is that I had to put a resistor in line on the positive side of the LED's to get them to work as the source power was 12V.
I also replaced the LED in all of the window switches in the center console to white instead of that ugly orange. The first one I did the technically correct way by removing the old one and putting the new one in which probably took 5 minutes. To save time I did the rest the easy way by cutting the old ones at the first bend and soldering the new ones right on which took about 2 minutes total for 3 switches. I plan on going back at a later date and putting a resistor to make then a little dimmer as they are pretty darn bright at night time.
The final one that I replaced was the cruise control LED on the steering wheel. Just pop the old LED out and solder in the new one and that is it. I was really surprised at how easy this was to do. Took about 30 seconds to do.

I will update his thread more once I actually get all the tools needed to tackle the radio.

Regards,
Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
Deltaphi216
Deltaphi216 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme1st2302 View Post
So I took the radio out yesterday to change them bulbs to LED with no luck. When I did my test run to take the radio apart I failed to notice that the LCD was soldered on as well as the metal bracket that holds it in place. I did not have any solder wick on me to remove it so that will be a job for another day.

So on to the things I did accomplish....(all using 3mm white LED's)
I did get to change both lights on the fog light switch. There is one that lights up the switch which is a mini incandescent and the other that lets you know its on which is an LED. One thing to note is that I had to put a resistor in line on the positive side of the LED's to get them to work as the source power was 12V.
I also replaced the LED in all of the window switches in the center console to white instead of that ugly orange. The first one I did the technically correct way by removing the old one and putting the new one in which probably took 5 minutes. To save time I did the rest the easy way by cutting the old ones at the first bend and soldering the new ones right on which took about 2 minutes total for 3 switches. I plan on going back at a later date and putting a resistor to make then a little dimmer as they are pretty darn bright at night time.
The final one that I replaced was the cruise control LED on the steering wheel. Just pop the old LED out and solder in the new one and that is it. I was really surprised at how easy this was to do. Took about 30 seconds to do.

I will update his thread more once I actually get all the tools needed to tackle the radio.

Regards,
Chris
how did you get the switch/button out of the steering wheel? just pull it?

-2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5speed - on engine #2 - damn timing chains!
-2006 Nissan Xterra S - Ordering parts for a Titan swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deltaphi216's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deltaphi216 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deltaphi216 is offline   Reply With Quote