SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2015, 04:32 AM   #1
etindall
etindall is on a distinguished road

Question 1st saturn no worky

I bought a 2000 lw2 v6 3.L. at 96000mi. timing belt broke. I replaced the belt and now it wont start. no compression in 5 of the 6cyls. Im told the valves are bent. Can any one tell me what would be the best way to fix this? Is there a kit or kits that have all the parts I would need? Can some one let me know what parts I need?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to etindall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help etindall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
etindall is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2015, 01:43 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 1st saturn no worky

Quote:
Originally Posted by etindall View Post
I bought a 2000 lw2 v6 3.L. at 96000mi. timing belt broke. I replaced the belt and now it wont start. no compression in 5 of the 6cyls. Im told the valves are bent. Can any one tell me what would be the best way to fix this? Is there a kit or kits that have all the parts I would need? Can some one let me know what parts I need?
Oh dear, this is bad news. Minimally, each head requires a valve job and most, if not all, valves will need to be replaced. Generally, the head gasket set will contain all of the seals and gaskets required for the job. Valves are historically priced individually and not as a kit. Take a look at http://www.rockauto.com/ and look up their pricing information.

There is, however, a significant consideration: it is unknown at this time what damage may have been sustained at the piston heads when they collided with the valves above them. The only way to ascertain that is to remove the cylinder heads and carefully examine the each piston's surface. If a piston has been damaged, then it will require a full engine rebuild or replacement. This really becomes a matter of weighing costs and time.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:37 AM   #3
etindall
etindall is on a distinguished road

does any one know where I can find out what other cars have the same motor compatible with my 2000 lw2 6cyl, 3 liter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to etindall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help etindall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
etindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Going by Wikipedia the V6 used in the L-Series is a L81, which is shared by these model/years:
19972001 Cadillac Catera
19951997 Saab 9000
20002005 Saturn L-Series (best bet)
20022003 Saturn Vue (2nd best)
You can use http://car-part.com/ to find something local, plug in your year & make/model, what your looking for (engine), zip code, and hit search
My area shows 80k miles to 150k miles and prices from $750 to $1200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #5
DawnR
DawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really nice

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

I am sorry for your troubles.
Totally stinks for a car with such low mileage.

Your title made me crack up though

I read, I learn, I try!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DawnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DawnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DawnR is offline   Reply With Quote