SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
phillyd823
phillyd823 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
Default 1996 SC1 timing chain and other issues

Hi,

I am a newbie. This is my first time posting a thread. Anyway, I just purchased a 1996 SC1 (128,00 miles on it)from a friend that just wanted to get the car out of his driveway. He sold it to me for $250. He has not used the car for over a year. I replaced the battery and the car started up. So far I have changed the spark plugs and wires, the pcv valve, the fuel filter and put new front brakes and rotors. I probably have like $400 invested in it. The car has been giving me idling issues in which when I slow down to a redlight, the idle will sometimes drop too low that the car will stall, and sometimes it will catch and won't stall. I took it to the dealer to get a full diagnostic test and all they came up with was that my coolant temperature sensor reading was 10-12 degrees off, and that my QDM output circuits were possible open, but they checked them and they were fine. Also, the dealer recommmended that I change my timing chain because of "excessive play" which you can hear a ticking noise when the car idles. I now have recently put in techron fuel injection cleaner to see if it would help problems because the car was sitting for so long. The car now seems to be idling better and the idle seems to be "catching" itself when i come to a complete stop. Anyhow, i was wondering if anyone would have any information on possible reasons i could be having idling problems, and and estimated price on what a mechanic would charge for a timing chain replacement. Thanks..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phillyd823's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phillyd823 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phillyd823 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: 1996 SC1 timing chain and other issues

Idle air control valve and EGR valve. Both can cause idles troubles.
My EGR valve was sticking. the shaft somehow would get carbon build up? or it was just too tight. I finally cured it by taking toothpaste watered down a little and my drill, coated the shaft valve area and spinning the inner valve to loosen up the sticky shaft. It helped mine so much I dont have a stick EGR valve anymore. It truly was sticky, you could push the spring loaded valve in and it would not pop back out. I do think it had a code.

The symptom was I was driving along and the car would start missing, loose power and when coming to a stop would idle rough and low and then stall. strangely, you could restart and the problem was gone. I must have cleaned it 10 times before doing the toothpaste grind. It has not messed up since in over 10000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdowney717's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdowney717 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Idle air control valve and EGR valve. Both can cause idles troubles.
^^^^^Do this SECOND. First replace the ECTS. Replace the connector also if it has corrosion on it.

A new chain kit is $68 on ebay or more from other places. Depends on your preference. I had no issues with the ebay ones. Others have.

Expect to pay at least 400 to have it done I would say. This is a guess based on past members as I have never brought the car to a mechanic before.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
phillyd823

1996 SC1

So I replaced the ECTS and checked the connector which seemed fine. I also cleaned the throttle body and replaced the IAC valve. The car seems to be idling much better. I am wondering other then the timing chain, why my engine could be ticking? I would hate to pay to have the timing chain replaced and then the car still makes the noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help phillyd823 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
jamie930
jamie930 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

timing chains rattle, lifters tick.

check your lifters, they can be taking apart and cleaned

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jamie930's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jamie930 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jamie930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

If you search around, you can find a few posts where people have links to videos or mp3 snippets of a bad timing chain. You can compare that to the sound your engine is making. there's probably a richpin video in the How to Library or search YouTube under richpin06a

Like jamie930 said, most people refer to the timing chain sound as a rattle, chatter, clatter, etc., and someone said it sounds like a miniature diesel engine. Other common sources for a rattle are: heatshields, belt tensioner, pulleys, and oversized serpentine belts

Also, try to isolate where the sound is coming from. Use a mechanic's stethoscope, available relatively cheaply, or something similar.

If you have the time, space, some basic hand tools, the timing chain replacement is within the realm of an average DIYer. Seeing what you've already done without resorting to asking questions leads me to believe you can do it (assuming you have the time, space, etc).

I'm about 1/3 through my timing chain replacement... taking it very slow

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
phillyd823

1996 SC1

Update...I had the timing chain replaced today, cost me about $700 from a local mechanic. He showed me the broken tensioner. The car now runs sooooo much quieter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
frontman09
frontman09 is on a distinguished road

Hi.. I am new to posting here and am desperate for help.. I have this same car but 97. It won't crank. So my mechanic looked at it. Tried to crank it and said it sounded like the timing chain. I have successfully had him work on all my stuff but he's too busy with work to get it in. I can't wait any more so I'm ready to just try it myself. The only things I'm finding online is about the DOHC version. Any help, advice, videos or diagrams would be great.. Thanks in advance..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frontman09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frontman09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frontman09 is offline   Reply With Quote