SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
James191
James191 is on a distinguished road

Default kenwood radio hardwired

so i just hardwired a cheap kenwood radio i bought and it wont work unless i have both the accessory and power connected and by doing that it works but wont save memory. (channels, eq, date and time...) my brother told me it could be a faulty ignition wire or switch or it could be because the ignition wire actually pushes either too much or too little power to the radio so it wont run enough power to the radio to store memory. any suggestions or tips, ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to James191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help James191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
James191 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2
Default Re: kenwood radio hardwired

Was there a reason not to use the $5 adapter that doesn't involve hacking up the factory harness?

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo
sixthsphere.com/showthread.php/89737

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
James191

because i didn't have time. but anyway thats my predicament. doesn't really matter why i did or didn't get the harness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help James191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Did you pull the fuse first before you took and cut into the harness? If not there's a chance current passed through your cutting tool and popped a fuse for your constant wire.

and it kind of matters because it establishes an idea of who I'm giving advice to... someone that was too cheap, too lazy, or too unaware to get an adapter.. it usually boils down to one of those.. the advice and level of complexity in my answer is dependent on who I think I'm giving instruction to

Take a multimeter and check for current to your constant wire... also OHM out your speakers make sure you got the wires going to the right places.

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #5
cdxhizors
Advanced Member
cdxhizors has a spectacular aura aboutcdxhizors has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The wire colors for ign power and constant are usually switched on aftermarket radios so the colors don't match. My red went to the yellow and yellow to red. In my car I couldn't get any constant power from the factory wire so I ran a wire straight to the battery. Saves from the f5 pin problem anyway. Run a wire with a 5-10 amp fuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdxhizors's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdxhizors reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdxhizors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #6
James191

Thanks for the advice. and yes when i cut the wires there was a tad bit of spark. i've done this before but was just trying to hurry because like i said i didn't have much time. if it would have popped a fuse which one would it be? and if i'm going to run a wire straight to my battery what gauge would the wire have to be? I believe that you guys may be correct, i don't have power running through my constant but i'm going to check it and will get back to you. i've never gotten harnesses before. This saturn i have isn't really in the best shape. the transmission gets confused sometimes and for some reason the service engine light soon comes on and there is really no where i can take it to get it looked at being that it's OB1. I really appreciate the advice and i'm really sorry for coming off as a prude but i had a bad day yesterday. anyway i'll check it with a meter quick and get back to you guys. Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Next time the SES light comes on, take it down to the office supplies store & buy a box of paper clips.
Guides:
'91-'99 Stereo Wire colors: http://www.iroczone.com/images/wiring/1992wiringb.gif

Probably blew the radio fuse, might have blown the chime fuse.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
SC2Sick
Advanced Member

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Yep, check the radio and chime fuses.. I think they're by the passenger side kick panel under the center console.. should be a guide on the back of that by the fuse puller.

Shouldn't be any need to run a cable straight to the battery.. seems like a lot of unnecessary work. If you do though I'd go at least 12 gauge assuming it's only for the radio.

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
carangil
carangil has a spectacular aura aboutcarangil has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Check your fuses. I recently wired in a Pioneer radio into my SL1. To avoid blowing and fuses, I first disconnected the wiring harness between the car and the old radio.

I cut off the wires from the old radio, and carefully matched the wires on the Pioneer harness with the correct positions on the harvested Saturn connector. Beware, the wire colors on the car's connector, and the original radio's connector are NOT the same. You need to look at the car's wire colors, note the position on the connector, and use that position on the radio side. It is all much easier if you bring the old radio, new radio, and a photo of the car's side of the connector inside and work at a table. I wrote down on a piece of paper 4 columns: Function, Car Wire Color, Harness Wire Position, Pioneer Wire Color. It would be nice if everyone used the same standard Maybe everyone does now.. I have not owned a car newer than 2001, and that toyota was equally annoying with its radio wiring.

I did a test run with power only, with electrical tape. After I was satisfied with the results, I brought the spliced connector inside and did a clean job with solder and heat shrink. (I am an electronics DIY'er and have all this stuff on hand). I know most people on this forum recommend buy a harness, but many of the harnesses are slightly wrong and need some fadangling to get it correct, plus I don't think the connector on the back on my pioneer radio is standard... it just terminates to a bunch of loose wires with instructions saying to splice it into a harness that mates to your car. If I'm going to be cutting stuff up anyway, I may as well do the whole thing myself.

EDIT: About extra power: I looked, and it seems that the SL1 has 5 amps for the radio constant power, and 10 amps for radio IGN power. There are two schools of thought with radios, and they seem to be designed two ways:

Radio Power Strategy 1:
constant: just for memory and the clock.
ignition: Runs the amplifier. This seems to be what Saturn does, with a 10amp fuse here.

Radio Power Strategy 2:
constant: Does memory and the clock. Also runs the amplifier.
ignition: Just a signal to turn on. This seems to be what the Pioneer unit does: the ignition wire is thin, and the constant wire is thicker than the others.

For some high power head units, 5 amps may not be enough. I think on later models, they did increase that circuit to 10 amps. (I have the 1996 SL1)

I'm not worrying about that at the moment, since at a comfortable listening level, I'm not near 5 amps. But some people like it loud, and some people like bass. If you blow the 5 amp fuse, just run a wire to the battery with a 10A fuse, as close to the battery as possible. (If the wire frays, and shorts to ground, you want it to pop. If the fuse is near the radio, and the wire shorts to ground, the battery WILL melt the wire and start a fire.

Last edited by carangil; 09-24-2015 at 12:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carangil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carangil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carangil is offline   Reply With Quote