SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
ArsenaultJamie
ArsenaultJamie is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Easy Gen 3 Dash Lights to LED

Hey Guys,

All of you have helped me so much on any post I've made regarding my old Gen 2 SC1 and just recently the issues I was having with my Gen 3 SC2. So this is my way of giving back some of that help. I know there's more than a few threads on this subject, however I just MacGyvered a super simple solution to our LED Dash light upgrade.

Shown for comparison here is a Gen 3 light on the left and a Gen 2 socket without the bulb on the right:

Side Comparison:

Arghh! Why won't these clips just work?!

Now if your like me I never want to buy something new if I can up with a solution myself. I remember changing out the old dash lights in my SC1 and it was a breeze. I used the ones pictured below and got about 20 off eBay for about 8 bucks. I've tried many a different solution and type of bulb to get this to work in my Gen 3, then it occurred to me. The only main difference between the two clips is how they actually clip and stay in the housing for the cluster.

So out came the Xacto knife and a couple of snips later:

The only thing other than you may have to do after cutting off those little pieces, is bend up the contacts a little more.

But there you go, plug in your favorite flavor and strength type 74 LED and have at it. Tested and working in my car right now. I only did the one as a test and will be changing out the rest tomorrow. From all the posts I've seen about this, I found this to be the easiest and most straight forward way to upgrade the dash lights to led. No soldering, gluing, or complicated mess. A couple of cuts, and you're good to go.

Best part about this is that the junk yard I got the Gen 2 lights from gave me about 15 clips for free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ArsenaultJamie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ArsenaultJamie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ArsenaultJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Easy Gen 3 Dash Lights to LED

I can't see the pictures. I'd need to see those before I could comment.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
ArsenaultJamie
ArsenaultJamie is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Well it only works for the Theater Lights anyway, just forums that out about 20mins ago. Mods please delete as it only half works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ArsenaultJamie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ArsenaultJamie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ArsenaultJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenaultJamie View Post
Well it only works for the Theater Lights anyway, just forums that out about 20mins ago. Mods please delete as it only half works.
This is pretty much what I was looking for in the pics. The two theater lights use the contacts on the outside like the older Saturns did. All the other bulbs behind the cluster use contacts that hook onto contacts on the inside of the cluster's PCB.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Montecarlossfan
Montecarlossfan is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2009 AURA XR

I did my 2000 sc2 with all led's...just had to slightly bend tabls on bulb sockets to be sure they fit snug. No issues so far...just wih i didnt get the hp version for the high beam indicator lol...I'll swap that next time i pop the top cover off the dash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Montecarlossfan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Montecarlossfan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Montecarlossfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenaultJamie View Post
however I just MacGyvered a super simple solution to our LED Dash light upgrade.

Shown for comparison here is a Gen 3 light on the left and a Gen 2 socket without the bulb on the right:
Your pics are in a private Dropbox area that requires login. Try putting them in photobucket, imgur or directly uploading when you respond, via the "attach files / manage attachments" below the reply box (you have to scroll down)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Maxpowers2k
Maxpowers2k is on a distinguished road

Can someone post exactly what bulbs they used, like the part numbers. Or which ones would be better. I am interested in doing this too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maxpowers2k's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maxpowers2k reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maxpowers2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpowers2k View Post
Can someone post exactly what bulbs they used, like the part numbers. Or which ones would be better. I am interested in doing this too.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152386
(assuming you have a 3rd gen - there's another thread for 2nd gen)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #9
whenindoubt_c4
whenindoubt_c4 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Please Post pictures! I'm wanting to do that exact same thing!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whenindoubt_c4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whenindoubt_c4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whenindoubt_c4 is offline   Reply With Quote