SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #81
dark7622
dark7622 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Swapping the VT25E for the 4T45E transmission!

Hi everyone,

So here is an update, I gave up on the 2005 Ion TCM, it doesn't have a keyword wire and on top of that it communicates on a different network. Someone else here say they got it working, IDK, maybe mine is late 2005 and is actually a 2006, who knows.

Anyways, so I went and hunted down a 2006 parts off a Saturn Vue, not many seem to reach the U-Pull-It lots, none in 200 miles of me do. After dealing with some very shady people up in GA that I had to go though legal threats to get a refund. I finally found a yard that had the wire harness un-cut. Seems everyone would pull the computers but cut up the wire harness when they pull the motor.

So I got the following parts off a 2006 Saturn Vue

Engine/Transmission wire harness
TCM
ECM
BCM
Dashboard wire harness

I personally think I wasted my money on the Dashboard harness, I was told by someone I can't remember who, that the plugs were different. Plus one of the posts on this forum talks about replacing the harness (but he had a 2007 vue he pulled parts off of). Here is what I think, I think 2006 was a cut off year, because the plugs for the BCM are exactly the same, the hole the BCM goes into is exactly the same. I was told that newer BCM was different and wouldn't fit, hence why I think that is all about a 2007 Vue.

So for those of you in this mess, don't bother with dashboard harness, at least so far, I may be wrong.

So I did end up with a couple issues.

I went though the process of elimination between the old wire harness and the 2006 wire harness for the engine/transmission.

I found only two differences, here is one:
WP_20140202_002.jpg
WP_20140202_001.jpg

This plug connects to the wire harness that goes though the firewall, on the harness it goes to the big plug for the fuse box (the tan/(tan/white) wires) and the rest go to the ECM it looks like.

The above plug is missing in the new harness from the 2006 vue.

The 2006 Vue has the following plug:
WP_20140201_006.jpg
WP_20140201_007.jpg

This is a big plug, I think it connects to the wire that goes though the firewall to connect to the TCM on the inside. The TCM is not weather proof it looks like it mounts to the inside of the car.

WP_20140201_005.jpg

So here is the deal, I think I need to get the Wire harness that goes though the firewall.

I will let others know how it goes when I'm done, but this is promising so far.

Has anyone else ran into this btw?

Oh and the guy by accident sent me 2 sets of Engine/Transmission wire harness's so if anyone is interested, he also has more computers too. I can hook you up, just PM me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dark7622's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dark7622 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dark7622 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #82
agood01
agood01 is on a distinguished road

I am really disappointed in the mis-information on this post. Some of the information is outright wrong. I switched out my VT25E with a 4T45E last December. Other projects got in the way and I re-visited the project last week. My only hang-up has been the Keyword Serial Data. The only information anyone has given other than it works is to bypass and connect directly to the BCM. Well friends there is no by-pass. The Keyword Serial Data from the ECM is routed through the power block and already finds its way to the BCM. The Keyword Serial Data from the transmission controller simply does not exist and the Cluster will never work without it. So Using the 05 ION Trans controller with the 03 VUE ECM will never work, EVER! I'm going back to the drawing board and will recreate the 05 ION Harness using the 05 ION ECM and the 05 ION TCU. I will then need to work out the details of weather to use the 05 ION BCM or the 03 VUE BCM. I will post in a week or so when I figure it out. Stop wasting your hard earned money on bad information. I took pictures during the change over and will post them as well. Stop wasting money as well on Trans mounts. They Exist but will only work with the 06 and newer VUE Sub Frames. The Drivers side Trans Mount from the 05 ION is a direct fit, no need to re-create that item.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to agood01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help agood01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
agood01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #83
dark7622

Ok, here is an update.

I have the ECU, TCM, BCM all changed along with the Engine/Trans harness and Body harness all from 2006 Saturn Vue.

Car starts up but no response to foot pedal nor steering, it's like I have manual steering and no way to make the engine accelerate.

I'm looking at getting a computer to read if there are any codes. Though it would be great if anyone that has run into this before.

Please advise, I think something is keeping it from working right.

Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dark7622 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #84
dark7622

Update,

Got a USB ODBCII connector and software (scan master) but it seems that it can only communicate with the TCM even though the engine turns on, but the steering doesn't respond and neither does the gas pedal.

So I'm a little lost as to what it can now be, no codes, nothing. So I do need to know what the box is under the console.

Anyone know?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2014, 01:44 AM   #85
martom99
martom99 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L
2003 VUE 2.2L

Hello Guys,
I just finished swapping the trans on my 2004 Saturn Vue with 4T45E, no need for the BCM , NO need to the instrument cluster , no need to the engine/ trans harness !!
1- the only electronics parts you will need ECM, TCM from 2006 saturn vue , (( I re-flush my ECM with 2006 software)) ,and works great ( save $75), here is the fun part , the driver side axle shaft on old VT25 will fit on passenger side of 4T45E ,
I modify the old Harness to of the transmission only ( the engine part left as it is with no touch),, just made long enough to get the trans harness under the dash ...... the last thing you have to do the security learning either with SPS or regular 10 mints switch on for tree times , the mechanical and electronic modification wasn't that easy ..you will need to change all the four engine / trans mounts ( three from 2005 chevy cobalt ) and one order from GM dealer ,, modified the cradle .. and all the parts cost total $ 293
Good luck guys with your projects .. any questions ,, please let me know..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to martom99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help martom99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
martom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #86
dark7622

Just to keep you up to date,

Seems Iíve run into an issue with the airbag system.

Under the center console I believe is the airbag control system.

in 2003 the air bag units took a two wire connector, in 2006 itís 4 wires, the air bag control box also seems to have GM lan communications (tan, tan/white) wires going to it where the old unit didnít.

Not sure what to do about this issue, I could simply leave the units unplugged. Though I suspect the computer will know they are and have a problem with that. I could switch the wires to the two wire system but the BCM might have a problem with the old airbag control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark7622 View Post
Update,

Got a USB ODBCII connector and software (scan master) but it seems that it can only communicate with the TCM even though the engine turns on, but the steering doesn't respond and neither does the gas pedal.

So I'm a little lost as to what it can now be, no codes, nothing. So I do need to know what the box is under the console.

Anyone know?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #87
dark7622

Thanks for the info, but like many posts on this forum it lacks any hard details, exact changes, pin out changes, what wires where cut, what wires where connected, pin-out diagrams for the wires, nothing no details.

I think the mechanical part has been the easiest, no one is asking how to cut and weld mounts.

For me I've already changed out every computer (BCM/TCM/ECM and two of the three wire harneses (Engine/Trans and body) I am now on the dashboard which is all torn open.

Would love any advice on my airbag issue.

Plus I'm sure everyone or anyone that has been dealing with this problem would love to see details and pin-outs for what you have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martom99 View Post
Hello Guys,
I just finished swapping the trans on my 2004 Saturn Vue with 4T45E, no need for the BCM , NO need to the instrument cluster , no need to the engine/ trans harness !!
1- the only electronics parts you will need ECM, TCM from 2006 saturn vue , (( I re-flush my ECM with 2006 software)) ,and works great ( save $75), here is the fun part , the driver side axle shaft on old VT25 will fit on passenger side of 4T45E ,
I modify the old Harness to of the transmission only ( the engine part left as it is with no touch),, just made long enough to get the trans harness under the dash ...... the last thing you have to do the security learning either with SPS or regular 10 mints switch on for tree times , the mechanical and electronic modification wasn't that easy ..you will need to change all the four engine / trans mounts ( three from 2005 chevy cobalt ) and one order from GM dealer ,, modified the cradle .. and all the parts cost total $ 293
Good luck guys with your projects .. any questions ,, please let me know..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #88
carmengranato1
carmengranato1 is on a distinguished road

I did successfully get this swap to work however cost wise it isn't recommended compared to the AF23 swap by the time you buy the trans craddle and mounts. Electronic wise i used a tcm from a 07 vue. For the communication wires the newer tcm will be short two LAN wires. I did just tie the low/high lan lines from pcm, tcm, and body side together under the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carmengranato1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carmengranato1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carmengranato1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #89
RedlineWannabe
RedlineWannabe is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2003 VUE 2.2L

Well, it's been a while since I've last posted, but I promised an update. While looking on CL for a donor vehicle to complete the electronics portion of the 4T45E swap, I found an ad from a guy looking for failed VT25E Vues. I sent him my info, and he came the same day and bought it from me. He does the AF23 swap with Ion components, mounts, 1 mount he fabricates, and the TCM from the V6 with the AF23. He also utilizes the stock cradle. He had not done the 4T45E swap, but since I had a running, driving vehicle, he was going to try to finish it out.

Sorry, I just ran out of time and patience. Good luck to all attempting this. I have to say the yard looks better without the blue paperweight in it!

My 2004 manual Vue gets driven 135 miles a day, and is at 180k with no issues. I think I'm going to see how far it can go.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedlineWannabe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedlineWannabe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedlineWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:50 PM   #90
carmengranato1

Redline it was actually your vue i was referencing in the last post. Also the vibration it had was caused by the upper mount that we talked about. There is a different part that goes on the 05 and newer ones that pull the motor back. When reusing the original upper it had the motor pushed forward binding all the other mounts up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help carmengranato1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2015, 12:10 AM   #91
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

spotted this- no idea how good it is...http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/pts/4840357798.html

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #92
Blackcrew04
Blackcrew04 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bring up an old thread but looking for some assistance on this swap. Trans is in and driving. But I have some codes to iron out. Using a trans from a cobalt and a TCM and wiring from a cobalt. The cobalt parts are 2005. Need to know what wires to connect to the Ecm on the 2003 vue to the TCM from the 2005 cobalt. If anyone is still reading this it would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blackcrew04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blackcrew04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blackcrew04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #93
SALEMETRO
SALEMETRO is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the daft first post, but I've been searching without luck so far. I have a 2004 AWD VUE 2.2 that has the dreaded cvt transmission, and am trying to determine my best course of action for a conventional transmission swap while KEEPING the AWD functionality.

If anyone here has suggestions, please send them my way. Until then, I'll keep searching.

Thanks in advance for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SALEMETRO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SALEMETRO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SALEMETRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #94
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEMETRO View Post
Sorry for the daft first post, but I've been searching without luck so far. I have a 2004 AWD VUE 2.2 that has the dreaded cvt transmission, and am trying to determine my best course of action for a conventional transmission swap while KEEPING the AWD functionality.

If anyone here has suggestions, please send them my way. Until then, I'll keep searching.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Unfortunately, none of the transmission choices allow you to keep AWD.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #95
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

I got curious on this one, even though I don't have a 4 banger engine. GM put some odd vehicles out over the years with AWD and a 4 cylinder, so something should work. I found that the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix with the 1.8 could be gotten with AWD auto trans. Don't know if it would bolt up or anything else, but from what I see, the Toyota U342 trans is AWD... A POSSIBLE answer to the AWD 4 cylinder answer???

Just a thought....

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:34 AM   #96
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_varon View Post
I got curious on this one, even though I don't have a 4 banger engine. GM put some odd vehicles out over the years with AWD and a 4 cylinder, so something should work. I found that the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix with the 1.8 could be gotten with AWD auto trans. Don't know if it would bolt up or anything else, but from what I see, the Toyota U342 trans is AWD... A POSSIBLE answer to the AWD 4 cylinder answer???

Just a thought....
That transmission won't bolt up to the Ecotec 2.2L. The Vue's ECM won't be compatible with it anyways.

It's been said multiple times. The only three viable options are the 4T45E (Hydra-Matic/GM 4-speed auto), the AF23 (Aisin 5-speed auto), or the F23 (Getrag 5-speed manual transmission). All of these tranmissions require converting to FWD because none of them have provisions for AWD.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #97
Hughie
Hughie is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue as i guess everyone has with the Saturn Vue...ive completed the swap with a 4T45 trans, now needing help with wiring issues..Is there anyone that can help....Hughie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hughie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hughie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #98
carmengranato1

You need a tcm out of a vue that was equipped with the 4 speed from the factory. The tcm is inside the car near the steering column. I ended up using a smaller battery and hiding it in the battery box on the one i completed. The new style tcm with only have one set of class 2 wires. Just tie the ones from the ecm, tcm and body all together and it will work fine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!