SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
ItsJustTom
ItsJustTom is on a distinguished road

Attention Saturn Rpm's in Stop & Go Traffic

Hello All, I have a 98 Saturn SW2, Automatic. My problem is that when I am in stop and go traffic I constantly have to keep my foot on the brake. If I remove it, the RPM's increase to 2000/3000 as well as the speed, all without my foot nowhere near the gas petal. I have read several possible issues. The three most popular I see are:

Idle Air Control Sensor
Throttle Position Sensor
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor

Which one, if any, should I start with first?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank You in advance...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ItsJustTom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ItsJustTom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ItsJustTom is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2015, 04:04 AM   #2
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Default Re: Saturn Rpm's in Stop & Go Traffic

Hi Tom and welcome!

A couple of things to consider as well; first one is easy & free to do and you may want to start there:

1) It could also be as simple as a Vacuum Leak. Inspect carefully for any cracks or looseness in the vacuum lines. Do this first with the engine off and if you don't see any, start the engine and feel for any. Replace the one where the idle is noticeably affected.

2) It could also be an Intake Manifold Gasket leak and these cars are known for it, and it happened to mine. With a cool/cold engine, start it and lightly spray the intake's mating surface with throttle body cleaner all the way around it. If you hear the idle change, then that is it.

No matter what, take out the ECTS and if it is the round nosed polymer tip (original) one, replace it with a new Brass one.

'98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed. Castrol Edge EP

Taking Care of a '01 SL2 10th Ann. Ed. "Silver Salute" Mobil 1 AFE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
ItsJustTom
ItsJustTom is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn Rpm's in Stop & Go Traffic

Thank You Pitcher for that great info. Do you possibly know where I can find a diagram of where said vacuum lines might be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ItsJustTom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ItsJustTom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ItsJustTom is offline   Reply With Quote