SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
nkb97sl1
nkb97sl1 is on a distinguished road

Default 1997 SL1 Intermediate Pipe Replacement doable?

Thanks to the awesome and quick response I got the other day (thanks OldNuc) I thought I would give it a try with another issue.

I have a 1997 SL1 with approx 181k miles. This morning while pulling out of a parking lot, I heard a thud and quickly stopped and looked under the car. There to my shock was the top part of the Intermediate Pipe on the ground.

In Jan 2015 we had the flex pipe replaced, which unfortunately ended up with them just welding the flex pipe in not actually installing an entire new part. And in Aug 2014 we replaced the muffler (walker). The pipe that led to the muffler was a little rusted but we were able to attach the muffler and used a little of the silver tape to insure a good seal.

My question is, can I just replace the Intermediate pipe myself? Is it bolted on or would I need to take it to a shop to do the welding. We just have jack stands and from what I have read it can be impossible to do if you don't have lift (especially for a 97 model). I am a female and have found that sometimes my hands and body are able to maneuver things in a tighter space (i.e. I replaced the serpentine belt in about 10 minutes fro the top and without going through the wheel well because i could get my hands in the tight space).

These are the two parts I was looking at
Rock Auto - AP EXHAUST 88112

or
Rock Auto - WALKER 48292

(sorry haven't posted enough to be able to include links)

My second question is if I can't do it myself, what is a ball park figure (we live in the Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh NC area).

Lastly, I have the pipe currently secured from falling using bungee cords (since there isn't any hot exhaust going through I thought it could get me the 20 min drive home. But is it safe to drive ANYWHERE? I know you can get tickets for the loud noise, but I'm just concerned about the exhaust coming out of the converter right by the front door windows.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nkb97sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nkb97sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nkb97sl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: 1997 SL1 Intermediate Pipe Replacement doable?

It bolts to the cat outlet and clamps at the muffler. These are impossible to install without a lift. They can be cut and assembled in sections and then made intact with the stainless steel wide but style band clamps. After considering the scope and the cost of at least 2 band clamps I would find an installer. A decent independent muffler shop will bend the pipe and install for not a lot of $$$.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
nkb97sl1

Thanks OldNuc. That's what I thought....I put the muffler on but the other welding work we took to a shop. So it looks like i'll be checking out the area for some independent muffler shops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nkb97sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

That is the easy way to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
nkb97sl1

Sorry OldNuc just one more question to be clear. I'm looking for a shop that would just bend pipe to fit the car, not buying the part and having the shop install it correct?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-31-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yep. When you talk with them you want the actual bent rod hanger welded onto the new pipe. You will have to paint those welds with silver high temp paint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
nkb97sl1

Great thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!