SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
nkb97sl1
nkb97sl1 is on a distinguished road

Default Correct Coolant and Bars Tablets - What's Correct

Hi, I have a 1997 SL1 SOHC with 180k miles. We replaced the waterpump, thermostat, reservoir cap (so I don't know if there was originally a dot of some kind or not) and radiator hoses in May of 2012. When they replaced it at the shop they used green coolant (where you mix it yourself) upon filling it again.

I replaced the radiator in September of 2012 and again used green coolant (again where I am mixed it 50/50 myself).

It's overdue for a flush and change, so should i continue using the green coolant or do I need to flush it all out and replace with the Dex-Cool.

Also I have read on here that you should use the ginger root tablets when you do a flush. I found some from Bars Leak and they say they are OEM and to use 2 tablets per gallon of coolant. Also it says if there isn't a radiator cap to place it in one of the radiator hoses.

Before I do anything I just want to make sure i'm on the correct path.

I do most of the minor work on our car (mostly because of the information i have found on this site - Thank you all!)\

Thank you in advance for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nkb97sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nkb97sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nkb97sl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Correct Coolant and Bars Tablets - What's Correct

The current formulation of green antifreeze is fine. You do not need any stop leak unless you have a leak. As to antifreeze concentration use 1 full gallon of 100% green antifreeze of the same brand as what is in the system now and top off with distilled water. This will provide 5-8 year service life of the coolant mix minimum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
nkb97sl1

THANK YOU OldNuc!!!

I was afraid we were wrecking the car with the wrong coolant.

Also we seem to be loosing a little coolant when the car gets overly warm at the 1/2 to 5/8 mark. We live in NC and it's been in the high 90s most of the summer. I replaced the radiator cap just a week ago and it seems like a much tighter seal, so perhaps that's were the issue was, so i'll hold off on the tablets.

For the past 5 years our car just tends to get warm (1/2 to 5/8) or close to overheating in stop and go traffic, and no mechanic in 4 different states has been able to find the cause.

She just keeps on going though so we try to take good care of her =)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nkb97sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The 1/2 to 5/8 is the normal range for a gen-2 car in real hot weather and low speeds. Green antifreeze was reformulated several years ago so it is not a problem. Most is also marked as ALL MAKES ALL MODELS on the container. Color does not tell you much about what you are buying or adding to as there multiple different formulations.

Reservoir cap is the usual leak point so hold off on any Bars's Leaks tablets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
nkb97sl1

That's such good news!

Thanks again for your advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You are welcome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!