SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
numonekobefan
numonekobefan has a spectacular aura aboutnumonekobefan has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2
Question Manual Transmission Tech Question

I'm starting to have transmission issues with my 96 SL2 where it keeps popping out of third gear and only third gear. There is no grinding when shifting into or out of third, and if I hold it in place it'll drive normally. If I let go of the shifter though, it'll pop right out into neutral.

I've done a lot of reading into this issue, so I have ideas on what to look for. My question is, under normal circumstances, what keeps a manual transmission in gear? I understand the internals, and how synchros work, but I can't exactly figure out what keeps a transmission in gear once you shift into it? If anyone can shed some light on this subject, it would be extremely helpful as I plan to remove the transmission this weekend and would like to inspect the mechanical component that keeps third gear from coming out. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to numonekobefan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help numonekobefan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
numonekobefan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Manual Transmission Tech Question

That little spring in the synchro assembly. Called a "D" spring. Your problem sounds a lot like severely worn shift fork pads. They can be had but no longer OEM. Aftermarket come from a few transmission shops and they want about $5.00 ea. and the trans has 6 in there and if you open it up replace all of them.

Thin toothed gear is the blocking ring and right below that is the "D" spring. The next is the inner hub of the selector and the "D" spring locks the blocking ring into the selector ring. If the spring does not lock into place then the trans pops out of gear as all power is being transmitted by the blocking ring teeth. The paper friction material inside of the blocking ring can be all gone and it will still lock with good pads. http://i.imgur.com/wT7BmtJ.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
numonekobefan
numonekobefan has a spectacular aura aboutnumonekobefan has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: Manual Transmission Tech Question

So are "D springs" simply a small ring that provides a spring force to keep the gear from coming out? I don't entirely understand how that small ring would provide enough of a force to keep the gear from coming out. The diagrams I've seen show that as just being a round ring.

As far as the shifter fork pads (items 12 and 13 in the diagram from the link below), do you know of a place that sells them online? Or do I need to start calling local transmission shops nearby to see if they somehow have the ones I need in stock? Thanks.

parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=404963&ukey_make=1 031&ukey_model=14669

(add the http since I can't add links in my posts)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to numonekobefan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help numonekobefan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
numonekobefan is offline   Reply With Quote