SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
jwil620
jwil620 is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 l300 fuel pump no prime condition

So I am working on a 2002 l300 with and have p0171 p0174. I built a smoke test rig and found a few vacuum leaks. One with the brake booster (brakes are working great again after replacement by a bone yard special) and another on the vacation hose connecting to the fuel pressure regulator. No other leaks were found. Fuel trims look good but still have a lean code .

The car has a rough start since the pump is not priming for the 3s when the key is initially in the on position. I also confirmed with a fuel pressure gauge. I checked the relay by energizing and testing BOTH the energized and non energized circuits for continuity. Working fine. I still need to test the fuse box with a DVOM to make sure the pcm sends the signal to energize for the 3s to prime

My obd2 adaptor does not show a pid for the AF output on the banks but I see the fuel trims are responding nicely. Based on this, I assume the sensors are OK. I should add propane to verify and will do this soon. There are no other drivability problems to speak of other than leaking oil, suspected to be leaking from the valve covers.

With the provided info, the trouble codes seem a bit mysterious and the no prime condition may point to an electrical issue.

Can anyone point me to another circuit to test for the no prime condition if the relay is working and the fuse box gets a signal from the pcm?

Can anyone comment on the trouble codes and my situation and whether or not the fuel pump may be complimenting this problem?

Thanks in advance, James

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jwil620's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jwil620 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jwil620 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 l300 fuel pump no prime condition

Mileage? What's actual fuel pressure? Specs are 39-49 psi, regulated. 65 psi unregulated. Fuel filter replaced every 100k miles?

To test for the 12v/START/run signal from the ecm to fuel pump relay, remove the relay and note pins 85 and 86. One of them is the 12v START or run signal from the ecm. Carefully probe relay terminals 85 or 86 for the 2-second fuel pump signal when someone turns the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. You may have to wait around 15 seconds when repeating cycling the ignition switch as a timer prevents cycling the pump several times in quick succession. You can probe both terminals (one is ground with polarity unimportant with dmm's) or use engine/chassis ground.

Pins 85/86 are the control signals to power the pump relay. 30 and 87 send 12 volts to power the pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote