SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
rfisher7
rfisher7 is on a distinguished road

Default transmission issues... is it worth it to fix it?

My 2002 L300 saturn with 134000 miles has SOMETHING wrong with the transmission. There are codes coming up about the crank shaft and a few other things related (that I can't remember right now).
My car won't run for more than a few blocks... if that.

The mechanic says its between $1500-$3200 depending on what they find if I pay for them to do a more thorough look and see whats under everything.

Is it worth it to have it fixed? Do people have experience with fixing their transmission and the car lasting many many many more miles?

Besides this, it's in pretty good shape. I have new belts on it (as of a couple years ago), regular oil changes and radiator fluid changes. I've had a few different sensors fixed on it (oxygen and temperature) in the past 5 years.

Do you think I'll be putting more money into a lasting car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: transmission issues... is it worth it to fix it?

Welcome to the SaturnFans Forums!

Forgive me, but there still isn't enough information presented for us to help you with this problem. A more detailed description of how this trouble evolved, over what period of time, and finding out what the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) were will be necessary. Lastly, what maintenance, if any, has been done on this transmission?

As for how long a transmission will last after a repair I cannot say, but just look below. I'm not the only person in these forums who's been able to put on that kind of mileage without replacing the engine or transmission.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher7 View Post
My 2002 L300 saturn with 134000 miles has SOMETHING wrong with the transmission. There are codes coming up about the crank shaft and a few other things related (that I can't remember right now).
My car won't run for more than a few blocks... if that.

The mechanic says its between $1500-$3200 depending on what they find if I pay for them to do a more thorough look and see whats under everything.

Is it worth it to have it fixed? Do people have experience with fixing their transmission and the car lasting many many many more miles?

Besides this, it's in pretty good shape. I have new belts on it (as of a couple years ago), regular oil changes and radiator fluid changes. I've had a few different sensors fixed on it (oxygen and temperature) in the past 5 years.

Do you think I'll be putting more money into a lasting car?
We need codes and maintenance history here and what kinda repairs was done to the engine and tranx to get a better assessment of the problems. The mech estimate tells me they are less with knowing the cause then just fixing to make money. That's what I see from the read of it and most times I seen then 1-2 slam shifts which is a solenoid problem and when fixed it stops the slam shifts but also low tranx fluid can also do this problem on shifts as well. So you need to get the fluid flushed and refilled as well as get a Scan tool to scan and find what the codes are and post them so others know. CPS failure can lead to limp engine mode without power as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

It sounds like you have other issues besides the transmission as you mention the crankshaft.
As far as piling money into a car and getting it back, only you can make that decision.
You can find out from Kelly Blue Book what your car is worth, then decide if the repairs or economically viable.
If you know what you are doing, then many repairs can be kept under check by DIY, but it sounds like you are not particularly DIY.
There comes a time when we all have this dilemma to face.

I just bought a used 2003 L300 for $2K and had to have immediate repairs of $1300 done, so the car now owes me $3300. It has now got to earn its keep.
As a 2002, your is worth around $2000-$2500 in fair condition. With all the issues it has it's 'dead' worth is probably $500 or so.
If you sell it dead, get say $500 and your repairs were estimated at the top end $3200, then that's $3700 toward another car.
Money pits never stop being money pits.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
Money pits never stop being money pits.
That's goes for all autos not just Saturns. You will have to fork money out for repairs otherwise your auto value will be zero as no one will buy a un-driveable car. I for one would if you factor the money you pay overtime is far better value to keep it running as if you buy a a new or use I doubt you have the cash up front to do so. Even if you add up the repairs done for it you could get a new used car but that is if you had that much right away and doing maintenance and repairs goes along way to keep it working until you have enough cash reserves to replace it. Nothing just runs forever you have to fix and keep it running then save cash for another Auto. This is how I see it. People talk about all the money they are paying to fix it over time is alot but if you ask them do they have it for a one time payment for new used auto then their answer is "No". So that is what is missed. So comparing what you spent overtime fixing to buying is irrelevant debate as they can't be compared.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote