SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
kenski
kenski is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE
Default Air Bag sensor warning - passenger seat

Does anyone who owns an Outlook have an issue with the air bag warning system light coming on due to a faulty module in the passenger seat? I've been battling GM to get it fixed but they say that it is not a warranty item. They want me to pay them $900 to fix a safety component. I refuse to pay for it. They won't do anything for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kenski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kenski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kenski is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
kenski

2008 Outlook XE
Default Re: Air Bag sensor warning - passenger seat

Update: I received a call today from the corporate customer service team at GM on this issue and they pretty much told me that my car was out of warranty now and that this (PPS) Passenger Presence System module $900 is not covered under warranty nor under the recent recall of the Outlook. I asked them why a customer should have to pay $900 to fix a safety related component that is tied to an air bag system and was told that the technical personnel at the dealership feel that it is not a safety related issue. I said "really"? I have a warning light on and another light just above the temperature controls that states "Passenger Air Bag - Off". That is reason enough for me that I have a safety issue. GM will lose a customer because of how this was handled. I have to go to a company that will stand behind their product. Not put their head in the sand over it. I have filed a formal complaint with the FTC over this issue of negligence by GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kenski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:55 AM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Your six year old car is out of warranty. You have to pay for things now.

I would consider tires a safety item. Are you expecting GM to pay for new tires for you?
I would consider brakes a safety item. Are you expecting GM to pay for new brakes for you?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

http://thomasb.worldwideshoppersclub.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
kenski

2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Your six year old car is out of warranty. You have to pay for things now.

I would consider tires a safety item. Are you expecting GM to pay for new tires for you?
I would consider brakes a safety item. Are you expecting GM to pay for new brakes for you?

Dude you are comparing apples to oranges here. There is a huge difference between replacing tires and brakes versus having to replace an electrical component that controls an air bag system. And by the way my car was under warranty while I was challenging GM about this part. They have determined that this was not a warrantied part which is dead wrong. Get your facts straight before becoming an arm chair quarterback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenski View Post
Dude you are comparing apples to oranges here. There is a huge difference between replacing tires and brakes versus having to replace an electrical component that controls an air bag system. And by the way my car was under warranty while I was challenging GM about this part. They have determined that this was not a warrantied part which is dead wrong. Get your facts straight before becoming an arm chair quarterback.
I have my facts straight. You on the other hand fail to present all of yours.

SRS components should be warrantied for the period of the base warranty. Three years unless your warranty information states something else. On the whole dealers know what is in warranty and what is not. This is their business.

Why is it you think that the part should have still been under warranty?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

http://thomasb.worldwideshoppersclub.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
kenski

2008 Outlook XE

GMPP protection plans cover such parts as I had an extended warranty. The plan pushed back because I didn't have the top tier warranty. When work on a recall is completed and I still have warning lights on the on board display and above the temperature controls that is not acceptable to me. It is not a dealership issue since the dealership only does what GM tells them to do in a recall. Since most people just take the easy route and just shell out $900 of their hard earned money to pay for a safety related issue I push back. Wear and tear items I own not an electrical component that ties directly into an air bag system. You nor anyone else will ever convince me of that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

fairly common gm issue. and yes it is a safety issues. not sure how gm could say otherwise. actually i thought there was a recall on this. my 07 aura had this problem off and on. it was 5 1/2 years old when i talked nicely to gm and they covered it. in this day and age where they recall everything i cant imagine gm would want you driving the car that way. point being its a known problem and a safety issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
kenski

2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
fairly common gm issue. and yes it is a safety issues. not sure how gm could say otherwise. actually i thought there was a recall on this. my 07 aura had this problem off and on. it was 5 1/2 years old when i talked nicely to gm and they covered it. in this day and age where they recall everything i cant imagine gm would want you driving the car that way. point being its a known problem and a safety issue.
There is a link I found dealing with the Saturn Sky about a year ago. A news station out of Memphis did the story and the owner had the exact same problem that I have today. He also felt the same way I did and tried to push back to GM as this was a safety issue. He refused to let anyone ride in the passenger seat because the mechanic at the dealership told him flat out that the air bag was not going to work in a frontal crash. That confirmed everything that I have tried to fight with GM up to this point. It is certainly a cover up at this point and they don't want to eat $900 of their own money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
Penrod
Penrod has a spectacular aura aboutPenrod has a spectacular aura about

2009 Outlook XE

If the problem is the sensor/ module that tells the car that someone is sitting in the seat, you could find the harness and splice it so that it always thinks there is someone in the seat. That would bypass that module. If it's something else not sure what the issued would be. I own my car now so if I run into this later I'll be trying to find schematics to see where all it ties in. It's a little bit cheaper but here is a site that may have the module: http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/sho...ssembly=815069 If you can find where it's located you might be able to find it at a pick and pull.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Penrod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Penrod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Penrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #10
jcarm
jcarm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
If the problem is the sensor/ module that tells the car that someone is sitting in the seat, you could find the harness and splice it so that it always thinks there is someone in the seat. That would bypass that module. If it's something else not sure what the issued would be. I own my car now so if I run into this later I'll be trying to find schematics to see where all it ties in. It's a little bit cheaper but here is a site that may have the module: ......... If you can find where it's located you might be able to find it at a pick and pull.
FYI for anybody that would do this modification, If you did that, you would also have make the buckle sensor read as always buckled or you would get a flashing red sensor on dash and a beeping noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcarm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcarm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:04 AM   #11
kenski

2008 Outlook XE

The end of this sad story for us. We WERE loyal GM customers for the past 30 years but their inability to fix a safety issue which is their responsibility has cost them a customer. We traded the outlook in and bought a new vehicle from one of their main competitors. I refuse to pay for that repair.

Good bye GM. Sleep tight and keep screwing people over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!