SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
heartfire567
heartfire567 is on a distinguished road

Default Oil loss problem

hi, so i have a 1998 Saturn sc2 that Ive been driving for awhile and have recently realized that it is using a lot of oil. i realize that these cars have been prone to oil problems to a degree but this is off the charts for any car. for the past two oil "changes" Ive been burning down almost all of the oil in the engine. but there inst any smoke nor any signs of leakage i do a lot of highway driving at speeds around 65 to 85 depending on traffic area etc but Ive never had any issues with losing this much oil until recently. another issue im having is occasionally the coolant light will flash about 5 or 6 times and then go off whenever i see it i watch the temp gauge for the next 10 15 min and the actually heat of the engine rises maybe 1 or 2 ticks of the needle up and then returns to normal. i have a torque converter code that keeps popping up and going away and im wondering if that has something to do with all of the stuff that's been happening any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated. im hoping to sell the car soon so id rather not have any temporary fixes to just get it off my hands. i want to have the car genuinely working well before i try to sell it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to heartfire567's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help heartfire567 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
heartfire567 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
Steve44
Steve44 will become famous soon enoughSteve44 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
1999 SL2
Default Re: Oil loss problem

Firstly, All S-Series burn oil. If you don't check your Oil between Oil changes, you've likely already done damage to your engine. Same goes for your Coolant light These cars require regular maintenance. As In " Check your Oil when you get Gas"
I hope you don't sell this car to someone who knows nothing about Saturns. They'll definitely get the short end of the stick.

The SL1...The Lucky Car
The SL2..The awesome deal.
The #3 Silver SL2 FIVE SPEED!
World's biggest fan of doing it the easy way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

For some of these cars, it's "fill up the oil and check the gas". The only one of my S-Series that doesn't seem to use oil had a full rebuild just before I bought it (well, before I bought the car that used to have the engine that doesn't burn oil...). My SW2 didn't seem to burn oil when I got it, but it does a bit now. My wife's SC1 was burning quite a bit, enough that I was sure it would run low and lock up the engine if we didn't do something about it. She wouldn't check/fill it, because she was always in nice work clothes. So we got her a car that hopefully won't use so much oil, and are selling her SC1.

If the coolant light is blinking, check the level. It may be fine - these cars are bad about sticking coolant level sensors, and will give false alarms.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
54packman
54packman will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2
2000 SC2

I got my oil problem under control, I use a tank of fuel every 3 days, and find it now takes about 3 weeks for it to need a quart of oil , so getting about 4000km to a quart now after I drilled the pistons.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 54packman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 54packman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
54packman is offline   Reply With Quote