SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
kevster0522
kevster0522 has a spectacular aura aboutkevster0522 has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1
Question Exhaust Problems Advice

Hello all. I was hoping to get some advice for the problems I've been having with my exhaust.

Ever since I got my 95 sl1 there has been a small leak in the flex pipe right before the braiding on it. This has slowly gotten bigger and louder over the years and I finally ordered a replacement pipe. This new pipe bolted onto the exhaust manifold and then slid inside the existing pipe before the cat. I also used permatex ultra copper on the gasket at the top of the pipe. This fixed all the loud exhaust problems.

I usually just stick around the city but I recently went on a short trip (about 70 miles) and by the time I arrived I noticed that the exhaust was significantly louder. After I returned I took the pipe off to have a look around. I discovered all the of the gasket sealer turned into powder and the gasket has been worn away. I've only had this new pipe on for a week!

Should I just replace the gasket and try again? Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimized-IMG_20150604_110947.jpg (83.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized-IMG_20150604_110958.jpg (79.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized-IMG_20150604_111012.jpg (87.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized-IMG_20150604_111158.jpg (80.9 KB, 16 views)

1995 sl1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevster0522's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevster0522 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevster0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Exhaust Problems Advice

Clean the pipe flange and the manifold flange. Buy a new gasket, Walker brand preferred, Buy a can of spray galvanize paint, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...5838/100142963, You can find this from other sources if you want. Apply 2 or 3 coats to both sides of the new gasket an let it dry between coats. Install gasket and torque. Run car until hot and allow to cool, re-torque. You must have the clamp at the lower support plate installed or the gasket will fail again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
kevster0522
kevster0522 has a spectacular aura aboutkevster0522 has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1

Thanks for the response OldNuc I will give that a try. Should I also put on the ultra copper gasket stuff again or would that be a bad idea?

1995 sl1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevster0522 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

No, just the high zinc pigment paint. The ultra copper can not take the heat, no RTV can.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
kevster0522

1995 SL1

Sounds good. Thanks for the help!

1995 sl1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
kevster0522

1995 SL1

I just wanted to give an update. I believe I fixed the issue. I got a new gasket and sprayed it like oldnuc suggested but when I put everything back together it was still leaking up by the flange by the manifold even after the bolts were as tight as possible. Turns out the problem was that I accidentally secured the pipe too far forward which was causing the pipe to bind and was keeping me from tightening the nuts completely. I loosened all the clamps and pushed the pipe back farther towards the cat and it seems to be sealed now. Thanks for all the help!

1995 sl1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, alignment is critical. The cold galvanize will prevent the gasket from burning up. Retorque after a day of running as the gasket will shrink.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

I used RTV on my exhaust gasket's 3-4 weeks ago, still working fine on my EJ251. This Permatex Red stuff. Exhaust feels like it gets hotter than it did with my LLO's, but I could be wrong. May not be fine on the head flange but the rest should be fine.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

RTV 106, the old style red stuff that poisons O2 sensors, will incinerate slowly at the lower manifold flange on the DOHC and this is the highest temp rated RTV.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!