SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
mrdoiturself
mrdoiturself is on a distinguished road

Default 03 Vue won't start sometimes

I have a 2003 vue 3.0 v6. Every once in a while it won't start. It cranks and turns over like normal but does not start. When this happens I have to turn the key to the start position and wait for half a minute then start I it up and she starts right away. Anyone have any idea what might cause this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrdoiturself's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrdoiturself reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrdoiturself is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 03 Vue won't start sometimes

Mileage, maintenance done parts replaced? Spark plugs are recommended for replacement every 100k miles. A quick fuel pressure test can be done by turning on ignition, locating the fuel test valve on the engine's fuel rail, removing the black plastic cap to reveal the Schrader valve, loosely covering it with a rag while depressing the valve stem - fuel should spray out. A fuel pressure gauge connected to the test valve is more accurate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
mrdoiturself

It has 88000 miles on it and maintenenace has been kept up to date. Have not done plugs because they are so hard to get to in this car. That said they all seam to fire and it runs fine once started. Today I actually drove it a few miles stopped to get gas and then it didn't want to stop. I set the key to run for a bit the turn it and it starts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mrdoiturself reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The engine didn't want to stop or start? A key to communicating on public message boards is proof reading posts (I have to proof read every one of my replies for spelling, grammatical errors, etc).

Hard starting may be a fuel issue as I have the same engine in my L300 and plugs are good for 100k miles. Instant starting in summer and winter, when everything's just right. If this is a fuel issue, the better fuel test is to use a fuel pressure gauge with 53-59 psi expected. A strong fuel spray depressing the fuel test valve. Autozone may have f/p gauges for loan - call and check for availability. Maybe a simple throttle body cleaning? The throttle plate has a strong internal return spring so more force is needed to prop open the throttle plate for cleaning. Be sure all intake air tubing and clamps are secure to prevent vacuum leaks between the maf sensor and throttle body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoiturself View Post
... and then it didn't want to stop. I set the key to run for a bit the turn it and it starts.
It wouldn't shut off/ was dieseling? when you tried to turn off the ignition when you stopped for gas?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
mrdoiturself

No it intermittently won't start. It cranks turns over but doesn't start. If I leave the key in the run position for a half minute then start it it fires right up.it doesn't seam to have anything to do with the weather or gas level as it has done this in multiple situations.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #7
dr_phillgood
dr_phillgood is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

It sounds like a fuel delivery problem, but I had a slightly similar problem with the same car. It would crank and turn over like normal but would not start if the engine was hot. I had the crank position sensor changed and it always started after that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dr_phillgood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dr_phillgood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dr_phillgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

^+1
That was my experience with my '03.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote