SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
jaredthefail
jaredthefail is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 97 sl2 ignition problem

I have a 97 sl2 that has had a whole bunch of ignition problems that I narrowed down to the switch. when it hit ~205000 miles, it started to blow the ign 3 30 amp Maxi fuse under the hood so my dad threw parts at it to try to fix it, but the main parts were to do with the starter itself.

I went in under the kick panel and steering column the other day and found that the black ground wire coming out of the switch was completely fried. the insulation had melted completely off, so I went and replaced the switch with an a.c. delco one and cut the wire that was fried and grounded next to the interior fuse panel.

this fixed the problem for about a week, but the fuse blew again yesterday some time. It's not exactly when you turn the car on that it blows. It happens when you've been driving for a while.

I am completely out of ideas on what the problem is besides the fact that it is the wire burned all the way up to wherever it is grounded.

I love this car and plan to drive it as long as she'll run, but I really don't know what to do anymore so any ideas would be very appreciated

thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaredthefail's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaredthefail reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaredthefail is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 97 sl2 ignition problem

You do not actually need that black ground as all it does is set off the key minder dinger. Your problem is probably the green wire on the other side of that circuit also fried the switch in the lock mechanism and now grounding the fuse through the black ground. Go into my photo galley and all the sheets for the ignition switch drawing is in there and you will see what exactly is on that IGN-3 circuit. Start isolating parts until you find the problem. I would start by opening that black wire ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
jaredthefail

so if I cut the green wire too it should get did of the problem? I actually cut the two wires in the door a while back because it would chime any time the door was open.

thanks,
Jared

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jaredthefail reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Look at those drawings and get the 2 that go to the key minder circuit, 1 is that black ground. That should get rid of the problem but you will know if it takes out another fuse and then you start tracing and inspecting wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
jaredthefail

I'll do that right now. thank you for the idea and the pictures

just one last question, is the burned wire that I cut something I should worry about? like I said, the insulation is completely burned off and I'm a bit worried it's melted onto another wire or two

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is what you need to trace down by opening up the loom as that is usually what ends up blowing fuses. Do that first. Get rid of that old ground wire. Once you do that it all might be fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
jaredthefail

Sounds good. I went in there and removed the kick panel and cut the green wire, but I don't know if I'll be able to work on getting the ground wire out until Thursday.

But thanks for all your help. I see why you're so well known on this site.

thanks again,
Jared

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That ground wire has caused wire damage and the loom will open up so you can root it out. It is likely the green wire was not being a problem unless it was in contact with the melted old black one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #9
jaredthefail

the other day I went and replaced the ignition switch where the mechanical part turns to electrical and I also cut the burned black ground wire up to where it connects into another three packs of wires, but the ign 3 fuse keeps blowing in the under hood fuse box.

the weird part about it is the fact that it happens after I've been driving for a while. it also throws a p0401 side when it does blow and a bunch of stuff stops working.

also, what is on the other side of the interior fuse panel?

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!