SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
lyncaster
lyncaster is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default 1999 Saturn SL2 No Crank

I have a 1999 Saturn SL2 that i use for a daily driver, and yesterday it just stopped turning over, replaced battery, cleaned the battery cables, nothing, it makes an audible click (almost clack like sound) lights dim outside, as well as inside on the dash/interior, the light in the car that you turn on also dims down quite a bit, as if it was a brown out of power in a house, no crank, just that and nothing else

Also sorry if i posted in the wrong area, new here, registered finally after reading the forum prior for a reverse problem with the car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lyncaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lyncaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lyncaster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 1999 Saturn SL2 No Crank

You're describing symptoms of a worn out starter if it's the original.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
lyncaster

1999 SL2

was bought with 60kish miles, at 108 now, im pretty sure the starter is the original, the last few days prior to this, starting had began to become much more sluggish, prior it was also whining a bit, as i said, suddenly stopped working (had drove it 30 minutes prior to it not working, sluggish, and would make a squeak like noise, not belt like, on a cold start)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lyncaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
lyncaster

1999 SL2

before i forget, we also had tried to jump it with a healthy battery, and nothing, no diffrence, still a clank, also my fiance noticed it jumps forward when going up hills after it started (but i think its a underlying transmission issue)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Search for similar threads and how to test the starting circuit to separate it from a worn out starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
lyncaster

1999 SL2

well i had someone come over and check it out, all the connections and things, he will be back tomorrow to possibly see what it is finally with a test or something, is worried that it may be seized, is that possible? the car is kept topped up constantly with fluids, as well as regular oil changes at the miles needed with synthetic oil, just 30 minutes before it stopped it was running beautifully, it is clicking quickly now, ticking more so when the key is turned to run

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1

Seems to me like that 'someone' is trying to scare the crap out of you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2vALliYg3Y

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
lyncaster

1999 SL2

Yea, its not that hollow sounding, and when he came over earlier it was making a "click click click" noise not the clank like noise it was making prior, plus im pretty sure a seized engine would show issues prior to seizing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #9
lyncaster

1999 SL2

mechanic came over this morning, and tried to crank the engine with a wrench like tool, did not budge an inch, not sure what to do next

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyncaster View Post
mechanic came over this morning, and tried to crank the engine with a wrench like tool, did not budge an inch, not sure what to do next
A real mechanic?

Did he remove the front passenger tire to do this?

Have you done the tests mentioned previously?

if you have tools, it's not hard to remove the starter. You could then take it in somewhere for testing.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #11
lyncaster

1999 SL2

not too many mobile mechanics in the area, he came out, put a bar on it with a socket, said he tried to turn it (from above, no wheel off, no plugs off, no belt off, etc) i had to take care of other things at that time and was not with the car, we put a new battery in it, nothing, cleaned the posts, well at least the ones i can reach (i lack a lift or anything to lift the car) i know the starter wires on the starter can corrode, but its actually making a click, which sometimes changes from a clack to repeated clicking, with a whine like noise, no voltmeter here that i could find, so i cannot test the relays etc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #12
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

You need to get somebody to look at it who is willing to give it a decent try, like going through the wheel-well. A "seized engine" is too catastrophic a diagnosis to accept without decent investigation. They could/should also do the "purple wire" tests down at the starter; especially if the engine is clearly not seized.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #13
lyncaster

1999 SL2

went out and looked at it, not even sure if he tried to crank it, the bar he had would not even fit, let alone have enough room to turn it over (its quite cramped in there)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
ohiojohn1
ohiojohn1 has a spectacular aura aboutohiojohn1 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2

you said it in a prior post pull the plugs , belt , I always try the simple test first. I have seen alternators lock up an engine the same way , shut off vehicle and when they went to restart it , all it did was click . a bearing froze in the alternator. worth checking before replacing parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ohiojohn1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ohiojohn1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ohiojohn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Plenty of room through the wheel-well. From there, you should be able to tell the difference between a crank that won't turn and an accessory that is locked-up; no need to even pop the serp belt off to do that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
herp444
herp444 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2006 RELAY-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
You're describing symptoms of a worn out starter if it's the original.
have you tried to tap the starter? i know my sc2 had this problem. i would give it a tap and it would start right up after. i just used a long skinny stick and tapped it from under the hood so i would not have to jack up the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to herp444's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help herp444 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
herp444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #17
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyncaster View Post
went out and looked at it, not even sure if he tried to crank it, the bar he had would not even fit, let alone have enough room to turn it over (its quite cramped in there)
Exactly why I asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr
Plenty of room through the wheel-well.
Agreed, but OP does not have facilities for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyncaster
(i lack a lift or anything to lift the car)
I have a floorjack and stands you can borrow, if you are near the center of MI.
Other ideas: your local parts store might have a free "lend-a-tool" program, but they probably only have ramps (if that, liability issues). That would help you get under the car if it is a starter issue, but you would need a jack and stands to pull the wheel off if you need to hand-crank the engine.

I'd focus on the starter first (tapping, seeing if you can push-start the car if it is a manual trans, etc) and not worry about a seized engine quite yet.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #18
lyncaster

1999 SL2

Well i have a family member bringing over a jack tomorrow, so i can check out whats going on

The mechanic we had look at it today said it was locked up, said it could have something to do with bearings, a head gasket leak, etc, but no smoke has been coming from it, synthetic oil is regularly put in it

The family member coming over tomorrow has been a mechanic for 30 years (fiance reminded me that he was, i had no clue) and he called BS on the seized engine, so we will have to check what is going on, though id still be curious to how a seized engine happened in the first place, with no warning signs or clicks/knocks/rattles

edit: also thanks for the offer! but I'm in Florida lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #19
lyncaster

1999 SL2

had a family member who knows engines look at it, said its not seized, supposedly the starter locked up, and wouldn't let the engine turn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #20
lyncaster

1999 SL2

Car is fixed found out the starter had been shorted open and was on the gear that cranks the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!