SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #1
cdxhizors
Advanced Member
cdxhizors has a spectacular aura aboutcdxhizors has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Intake questions

So I'm looking into getting rid of the factory airbox. I'm not looking to gain any hp though It would be nice. I'm looking to free up some space. on eBay there is aem cold air intakes for 140 and cheapo 40 ones. Would the cheap ones work? Are they actually direct fit or universal pipe peices?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdxhizors's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdxhizors reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdxhizors is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2015, 12:00 AM   #2
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: Intake questions

I got the aem one but I bet the cheapo works fine

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
I got the aem one but I bet the cheapo works fine

The ebay tubes fit perfectly. In all honesty you can purchase that, and then get your hands on a 3" K&N cone if you worried about the cheap filter media.

AEM dryflow are a better filtering media, but K&N have better air flow.

You'll notice an audible gain in intake sound and once rolling, you'll definitely notice a mid range torque gain like pulling from 3rd to 4th.

I kept my stock airbox, removed the resonator and put a K&N box filter and notice the difference I just mentioned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The problem I see with all of the intake options is I see no way to connect the crank case ventilation hose(from the valve cover) or the intake temp sensor)..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cdxhizors reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:33 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The AEM CAI I bought had a hole & grommet for the IATS and a nipple on the underside of the pipe for the crankcase vent line.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 AM   #6
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The AEM CAI I bought had a hole & grommet for the IATS and a nipple on the underside of the pipe for the crankcase vent line.
I'd love to get the aem but can't justify the money for it. I can get a decent looking one for 65 bucks with a k&n cone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #7
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Well shouldnt have gone with the eBay one.. The pipes look like they're bent correctly but have no way to secure them. They sent 2 brackets but no instructions and after starring at the car for 20 minutes I can't figure out how they would use them. The boot for the throttle body is also way too big. The throttle body outer is 2.25 inches and the boot is a 3 inch inner. Also there is no hole for the iat. I filed a claim with PayPal. If they can offer a partial refund for it not fitting I'll just go buy boots and figure out a way to mount it. Ideas of what the brackets are for? One is straight and has 3 holes in it. The other has 1 hole and has a 90* bend in it.

Last edited by cdxhizors; 05-04-2015 at 03:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
Foment_life
Foment_life is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdxhizors View Post
Well shouldnt have gone with the eBay one.. The pipes look like they're bent correctly but have no way to secure them. They sent 2 brackets but no instructions and after starring at the car for 20 minutes I can't figure out how they would use them. The boot for the throttle body is also way too big. The throttle body outer is 2.25 inches and the boot is a 3 inch inner. Also there is no hole for the iat. I filed a claim with PayPal. If they can offer a partial refund for it not fitting I'll just go buy boots and figure out a way to mount it. Ideas of what the brackets are for? One is straight and has 3 holes in it. The other has 1 hole and has a 90* bend in it.

I have the fleabay one as well. I will take pictures and upload them tomorrow of how mine is secured. Not a bad deal in my experience, and has been secure without moving for near to a year now. Who is the seller you purchased through? I believe I used XYZ Tuning.

1999 Saturn SL2 186K **Daily Driver**
2007 Toyota Matrix XR 1.8L 91k //The Out-of-towner\\
1994 Suzuki Sidekick 185k <<Wife's Go-Kart>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Foment_life's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Foment_life reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Foment_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #9
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foment_life View Post
I have the fleabay one as well. I will take pictures and upload them tomorrow of how mine is secured. Not a bad deal in my experience, and has been secure without moving for near to a year now. Who is the seller you purchased through? I believe I used XYZ Tuning.
I put new boots on mine and its awesome. Definetly can feel a difference. I temporarily mounted it but would love to see your picture.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

For the cost involved I'd have gone with the hardware store one. The AEM is wayyy overpriced and the rest sound like crap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That is a question that needs more info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Doh! By "sounds like crap" I meant build quality wise rather than what you use your ears for...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
Foment_life

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdxhizors View Post
I put new boots on mine and its awesome. Definetly can feel a difference. I temporarily mounted it but would love to see your picture.
After re-reading your post you're talking about a cold air intake, and I was thinking about, and have, a short ram intake. Reason being that when I went to purchase an aftermarket intake, there was only 1 CAI available, but many Ram intakes.

Also, my local area gets a fairly large amount of rain every spring/summer and I am completely unwilling to risk hydrolocking my daily driver for an anecdotal performance boost. I still have the images, if you happened to be talking about a ram intake, but I have no experience mounting a CAI in the S-series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Foment_life reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #14
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Mine is considered the ram intake I beleive. The only reason I did it is for more room around the battery as I now have a larger battery and multiple connections on the battery. I did it for no performance reasons though it does seem to have made a noticeable difference. I would still like to see those pictures. I will post pictures of mine and how I mounted it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #15
Foment_life

1999 SL2

Alright then, ram intake pictures here.

If you look, I didn't use any of their mounting hardware, or for that matter... any mounting hardware. The intake weighs almost nothing and slips pretty far over the throttle body. Tightening the boot down well left no vacuum leaks and a sturdy well held intake. It hasn't moved an inch since I fixed it in place last year.

I adjusted the positioning some a few days after taking these pictures last year and managed to get the filter element to float freely without resting on the battery as it is in the pictures.

I'm open to suggestions regarding mounting, but it does appear that this is a more than acceptable way to mount the short ram intake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #16
cdxhizors
Advanced Member

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

So I attached a photo. You have the older intake which I didn't notice the year of your car so of course the intakes are different. You can see my battery cables in the front and why Id like more room between the air filter and the battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (188.0 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!