SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
Default KYB & Monroe Rebates on ROCKAUTO

So.. it has come to my attention that Kyb and Monroe are offering rebates on select struts and shocks.

I need to replace my (stock? ****ty aftermarket 10 year old? ) struts.

I can either buy complete Monroe quick struts with springs and mounts for 280 (after $120 dollar visa gift card rebate)

ORR

I can buy 4x kyb gr-2 (excels or whatever they want to call them now)

either complete strut+mount+boot assembly for roughly $240 (after $40 dollar rebate)

or just buy 2x front and 2x rear struts for roughly $160 and use my stock mounts.

My concern is I imagine my mounts are not that good as they are most likely stock, but granted they are still usable and in fair shape, would Kybs mount right into them?

Also is the boot a necessary component? When I replaced the struts on my miata I never got a boot or a mount, I just popped the gr-2 in there and called it a day.

Last edited by SuperGreen; 04-16-2015 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: addition

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1
Default Re: KYB & Monroe Rebates on ROCKAUTO

I have kyb's and am very pleased. I have no experience with monroes.

I would definitely get the mounts, you don't want to take off the struts and find you have to get the mounts.

You can check your boots without removing anything. Go see if they are in one piece. Grab them and see if they crumble. Boots extend the life of the struts, but no, they are not necessary, strictly speaking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
SuperGreen
SuperGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSuperGreen has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_buddy View Post
I have kyb's and am very pleased. I have no experience with monroes.

I would definitely get the mounts, you don't want to take off the struts and find you have to get the mounts.

You can check your boots without removing anything. Go see if they are in one piece. Grab them and see if they crumble. Boots extend the life of the struts, but no, they are not necessary, strictly speaking.
Money is tight right now, so for me to buy all 4x struts with boots and mounts just about doubles the price, wheras if I can just buy the struts and get the rebate still. and only spend about $120 after rebate. Maybe I can go to a junk yard and get mounts off a new gen. How can you tell when a mount is bad?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Need new front mounts, they tend to fall apart when you take them apart. The rear mounts you can reuse without issue as they're just a giant block of rubber.

Don't bother with new boots, just reuse the old ones unless they're torn/broken. Use zip-ties to secure them in place.

Monroe quick-struts have a history of squeaking worse than a squeezed mouse. Even after all the revisions they made it's still an issue with the "newest" ones last I knew.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote