SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
JayRAudetteJr
JayRAudetteJr is on a distinguished road

1998 SW1
Dizzy Yay, another engine swap...

H'dy all,

98 SW1. 230K/mi. apx 1 qt oil every 1k/mi
Would like the twin cam. Would like the SC trans.
So, after reading swap threads here...questions are...

If I want to go twin, based on mileage... headswap or engine swap?

Should I source a "new as possible" twincam and trans, or build from ground up using "best possible" components? ie: x-year block, y-year intake, other year exhaust man, another year TB, etc.

Would I be better off finding an entire manual SC2 front end and swapping the whole thing from the wheels to the firewall? Say a 2002 SC2.

Using same 3rd gen SC2, can I swap the quarters, hood, and bumper assy onto my SW2?

End of Dumb Questions.
Advice? Suggestions? Links to other threads?

-Planned mods: All disc, SC seats, engine/trans swap, others as I read and steal.

Thanks to everyone here, y'all have saved me time, money, busted knuckles, and blood pressure meds.

-Jay-

1998 SW1. No Mods (yet). 180K/mi Purch: 11/19/2013

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JayRAudetteJr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JayRAudetteJr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JayRAudetteJr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2
Default Re: Yay, another engine swap...

The body doesn't swap.

With that many miles I'd look for a newer engine. Avoid the 00-02 if you can as the intake manifold/TB setup aren't a direct fit.

The coupes don't have a special transmission.. it's MP2 (SOHC) or MP3 (DOHC)

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo
sixthsphere.com/showthread.php/89737

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...dohc_swap.html

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:07 AM   #4
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
The body doesn't swap.
This statement is not completely true. With enough hard work, anything will swap. I remember seeing two of them that were made. However, I can only find the picture of one and I don't have any more information about it. I think this one was made in 2005 / 6. I think it came out looking pretty good but I am sure it took extensive modification.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3786SCW2.JPG (76.0 KB, 37 views)

1995 SC2: Back on the road again after my second engine rebuild in two years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub View Post
This statement is not completely true. With enough hard work, anything will swap. I remember seeing two of them that were made. However, I can only find the picture of one and I don't have any more information about it. I think this one was made in 2005 / 6. I think it came out looking pretty good but I am sure it took extensive modification.
That's not Coppertops Wagon (the only guy to actually do the swap), just a wishful thinking photoshop. This is Coppertops Wagon: http://sixthsphere.com/showthread.ph...en-wagon/page3

If you're not making the same mods he did, you're not trying hard enough
That was probably the best handling S-Series ever...

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

^^^^^ Link produces an error message.

To your first question, Engine swap is waaaay more straightforward; head swap would only be warranted if there were some other reason to break into the internals.

Whatever you try with the panel swap, it would be completely independent of the powertrain swap. There is no "complete front end"; the powertrain sits on the cradle, and the body parts bolt onto the spaceframe, which is effectively one welded unit.

+1 on the tranny; there are four trannies, two automatics and two manuals. Designated by engine type, not body. There's really nothing different wrt performance between the body styles. The wagons were shipped with slightly different rear springs, which people have lately discovered to be a more desirable spring to use in the coupes/sedans. But for your powertrain swap project, you're not limited wrt. body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
^^^^^ Link produces an error message.
You've never wanted to properly modify a S-Series then, it works fine when you're logged in
I've posted the pictures before to show how much work went into the job.

Easiest swap/upgrade path is finding a '98 SL2/SW2/SC2 that's been rear-ended with the rest of the options you want.
  • Set the PCM harness on the engine
  • Set the A/C compressor over the radiator support
  • Drop the engine out the bottom
  • Slide the SOHC setup out of the way
  • Slide the DOHC setup in, 15-17 bolts total plus radiator hose's.
This is assuming you have a cement floor and a lift. If you don't have a lift pull the engine/trans out the top (far easier than trying to get the body high enough to clear the engine without a lift), you'll need a load leveler because the crankshaft pulley has to clear the passenger side fender before the transmission gets to the driver side frame rail (that'll make sense once you see it).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
You've never wanted to properly modify a S-Series then
You're confusing "modify" with "performance".
Quote:
it works fine when you're logged in
That'd be the day.... Generally, when posting external links, they should be to sites that don't require membership, or at least will display the relevant info to anonymous users.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Generally, when posting external links, they should be to sites that don't require membership, or at least will display the relevant info to anonymous users.
You mean like here on SF where you can't see any uploaded pictures unless you're logged in, during the few times you can get SF to load something more interesting than "Server Busy Come Back Later"?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #10
JayRAudetteJr
JayRAudetteJr is on a distinguished road

1998 SW1

Thanks everyone.

My initial idea was to source a twincam and mod it. I wanted to get the power+ from a lightly built twin, but not go aftermarket hog wild. NA, basic bolt-ons, suspension improvements, etc. I was torn between getting one, stripping and building from the block up, or just getting a low-miles. I'm going to source a low mile and go from there, a full rebuild isn't on my hotlist. The bodywork will be a just for fun. Make an SW3.

Thanks again,

-Jay-

1998 SW1. No Mods (yet). 180K/mi Purch: 11/19/2013

Last edited by JayRAudetteJr; 03-30-2015 at 10:16 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JayRAudetteJr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JayRAudetteJr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JayRAudetteJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #11
Killamurk
Killamurk is on a distinguished road

Should i swap the head or motor for a engine swap .. also what if it's DOHC TO SOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Killamurk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Killamurk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Killamurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #12
Steve44
Steve44 will become famous soon enoughSteve44 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Jay, If I were you, Here's what I would do:
Find an 98 SW2 that is mangled/smashed up/rotted out, but with a good engine/trans. (I know this is a tall order) Pull the engine/trans, AND the PCM.
Change all three. Plug and play.
I'm a big Fan of the easy way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote