SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
HPAGE86
HPAGE86 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
2000 SL2
Wrench Radio won't shut off!?

Hi everyone! First time poster here. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

We've got a 2000 SL Sedan and my woman spilled a cup of coffee on the shifting column the other day. Since then the back-light to the radio and the radio itself won't shut off. I pulled the fuse for the time being to prevent the brand new battery from getting ruined.

Pretty much this: park the car, turn it off, all is good as usual, dome light goes off, dash lights go off, but the radio is still receiving power. The back-light slightly dims and changes brightness but is pretty much constant.

I thought it might have a bad relay but am unsure if a relay even controls the radio on this model--I dont think it does. I looked at the under-dash fuze box and only found two 10-amp fuses one labeled "Radio" and the other labeled "Radio (BAT)". Radio BAT is "radio/clock memory". I pulled the fuse to the Radio (Bat) because the other had something to do with "radio/body control module" and I don't know what the body control module is--figured I should leave it alone.

Maybe ignition switch stuck in ACC or something?

Any ideas on what could be causing that?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HPAGE86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HPAGE86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HPAGE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
lamping.ap
Advanced Member
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2
Default Re: Radio won't shut off!?

Are you talking about the radio original to the car? If so: Was it just installed? If not: when did this start? The other fuse is for the power that actually switches the radio on and provides power while it's on (ignition voltage).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
HPAGE86

2009 AURA XE
2000 SL2

Are you talking about the radio original to the car? If so: Was it just installed? If not: when did this start? The other fuse is for the power that actually switches the radio on and provides power while it's on (ignition voltage).

-------------------------------------------------------

It is the original factory radio. This problem just started last week, right after she spilled the cup of coffee on the gear shift column.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help HPAGE86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Automatic or manual transmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
HPAGE86

2009 AURA XE
2000 SL2

It is an automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Lift up the center console, and check the illumination light for the shifter. Try disconnecting the light and clean the connector with electronics cleaner. It's a bit of a stab, but the spilled beverage might be shorting that circuit, which is part of the dash illumination circuit, which _might_ be what's creating havoc with your radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Lift up the center console, and check the illumination light for the shifter. Try disconnecting the light and clean the connector with electronics cleaner. It's a bit of a stab, but the spilled beverage might be shorting that circuit, which is part of the dash illumination circuit, which _might_ be what's creating havoc with your radio.
If I understand the wiring diagram correctly (50/50), the dimmer switch acts as the ground for that circuit, so one of the interior illumination bulbs is shorting it. (HVAC, Radio, Dash lights all use the same circuit)

'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote