SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
cmeek263
cmeek263 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Check engine P0128 and P0133. Second time in 6 months

First time poster here, so bear with me.

About 6 months ago, my check engine light came on. It displayed the P0128 code. After taking it to the mechanic and hearing how much it would cost me, I decided to take things into my own hands (Never working on a car before). Thanks to youtube and my friend's garage filled with tools, I managed to replace my thermostat and temperature sensor. My check engine light went off, and I felt a wave of accomplishment and keeping roughly $300 in my pocket.

Here I am 6 months later, and I see this dreaded check engine light on again with the same code. Accompanied by a second one. So unless I had some bad luck and got a faulty one.. I'm suspicious that it may not be the bigger issue at hand?

I have roughly 116,000 miles on it. It's a manual transmission

The coolant level is full. Although it has a rust coloration to it. It had the same when I originally emptied it. So it accumulated the same color over that time period. Could that have effected my Thermostat over the course of the past 6 months?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cmeek263's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cmeek263 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cmeek263 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Check engine P0128 and P0133. Second time in 6 months

What brand of thermostat did you use?

Run this test to see if the thermostat is leaking
From a cold start let the car sit and idle while you watch the temp gauge. Keep the heat turned off for the duration of this test. Do not be poking at the gas either, just let it idle. When the temp gauge starts to move off the low stop go out and feel the radiator hose right at the radiator on the bottom of the hose and see if it is warming up along with the engine. Continue to do this until the thermostat opens, ~3/8 @96+ or ~1/2 @95-. When the thermostat opens the hose will heat up rapidly at the radiator. You can not monitor this back by the head it has to be done right at the radiator. It is a bit difficult to get your hand in on the bottom of the hose right up against the radiator but this is where you have to get to so you will feel any temperature change from thermostat leakage.

If the stat is not leaking then an ECTS problem is the likely cause of both codes. That would most likely be a fouled connector. First thing to do is inspect the ECTS wires back to the main loom for any splices and if found remove them and solder and insulate with heat shrink. The OEM repair splices are translucent pink crimp connectors. No splices and a connector replacement is the best bet. Go to pick and pull and collect an IAT sensor connector and as much wire as you can get. The IAT is located in the front of the air box behind the left headlight. Bad ECTS circuit will cause both codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
Steve44
Steve44 will become famous soon enoughSteve44 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
1999 SL2
Default Re: Check engine P0128 and P0133. Second time in 6 months

You might have better luck in the L-Series forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote