SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #21
danjayh
danjayh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 6t70 trans q&a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
start the truck get an 11 mm socket...there will be 2 11mm plugs below..1 up above under the subframe and 1 out in the open at the bottom of the trans..the one in the open is the 1 you want..get a paper cup drain enough to fill it 1/2 way(also you could fill a clear,dry water bottle for a sample to keep for future reference if needed).. the fluid will probably be dark redish black to black..a small amount of aluminum is ok..but if the fluid is more grey/black and when you swerl it in the cup it looks like metallic model car paint and gery that's bad..hope that helps you could also pm me your email and then I will respone and you could e-mail me a pic..
Satlite 440 - a few things:
- I checked the fluid level, and it was over a quart low. I added 1.5qt, and now when I drive it for ~20 miles it's toward the middle of the cross hatches. I'm thinking that may have been the source of the problems I was having.

- I took a fluid sample. I drove the car for ~4 miles, and then took a 1/2 pint while it was still running. Pics below. They look like a very dark red with no glitter to me, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

- I have noticed that my car makes a high pitched whining/buzzing near the left front tire. I have read that this is a sign of trans failure ... but I think it's done that ever since I got it, so I'm not sure?

Apparently I can't post pics, so just go to:

imgur 'dot' com 'foreslash' a 'foreslash' 6QWfe

I have saved my fluid sample if these pics aren't good enough. PM me your email if you can't get to the album, and I'll send the pics along.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danjayh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danjayh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danjayh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #22
scottphelps
scottphelps is on a distinguished road

I want to thank you for taking the time to help educate us about these transmissions.

I have a 07 Saturn Aura XR with about 150,000 on it. We had the transmission repaired by GM for the wave plate issue awhile ago. It was under warranty but I think it was around 70,000 miles or so.

I now have three codes related to the pressure sensor showing up. They are:
P0842, P0872 and P0989. Is this a sign of the wave plate failing again or something less expensive. I would like your opinion before I take it into the dealer.

Thanks,

Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scottphelps's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scottphelps reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scottphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #23
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

you most likely have a few tfp having bellows issues due to age and the tcm/solenoid&tfp assy is usualy reused due to cost. you will need a tcm&reprogramming...we run about 3.5 to 4.0 hrs for that repair in labor hrs.we are at 120 per hr so say 480+tax&parts

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197926

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #24
scottphelps

[QUOTE=satlite440;2097282]you most likely have a few tfp having bellows issues due to age and the tcm/solenoid&tfp assy is usualy reused due to cost. you will need a tcm&reprogramming...we run about 3.5 to 4.0 hrs for that repair in labor

Here is my next question. I am a heavy equipment mechanic with some tools at home and I am fairly mechnically inclined. Can someone do this at home by say replacing the valve body with a new one or i have even seen that trans star has a shift kit that comes with the bellows? My local GM dealer gave me a verbal quote of 1400-1600 to do exactly what you described above. So i am saving up to take it in to a shop but i cant afford 1600.00 yet.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help scottphelps reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #25
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

yes you could..all tcm bolts and cover bolts are tourqed to 9 ft lbs....BUT

you will need to have it towed to a place that can do the reprogramming as it will not drive until it is... also you will need 6 to 8 qts to refill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #26
scottphelps

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
yes you could..all tcm bolts and cover bolts are tourqed to 9 ft lbs....BUT

you will need to have it towed to a place that can do the reprogramming as it will not drive until it is... also you will need 6 to 8 qts to refill
Thanks for the help with this. Do you recomend the new valve body assemble or the transtar shift kit with new sensor pieces? I have the radiator out for a leak on it and it looks like i have some access room to get this job done. Also i cant seem to find your transmission overhaul thread did it get removed or could you send me a link to it.

Thanks.

Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #27
satlite440

2001 SL2

the valve body should have been taken apart and cleaned(I do this on all tranny o/h's for the 3-5-r failure...but I can't speak for everyone else I would hope they did) as to the transtar bellows repair I have not done one.nor would my dealer try it due to the liability issues...in counsulting with my peers on a gm forum and others I belong to...most shops steer clear of this one due to the repeate labor costs if it fails...but we all agree transtar makes good products and would be willing to try on one of our own cars if the oprotunity presented itself......hth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #28
satlite440

2001 SL2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197378

o/h thread

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #29
scottphelps

Thumbs Up Re: 6t70 trans q&a thread

Well with you help i was able to get the part off. It was not that hard to get out since i had the radiator out already. I do really apreciate the help. Do you have a perticulare place to buy parts or should i pay full price at my local dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #30
satlite440

2001 SL2

as far as integrated tcm's&solinoid packs go I am not aware of any aftermarket suppliers..there may be some...I would try nally gmc online or rock auto1st

were the clear portions of the 4 tfp"s loose?i use compressed air and point the nozzle about 3=4 inches away and hose it down and see if any of the clear lenses come out...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #31
jmatlock88
jmatlock88 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your helpful thread on the 6T70/6T75.
'08 Acadia 150k. I have replaced and re-learned the TCM and have replaced the ISS. Reverse is good. I can go through 1st and 2nd fine. I have a hard 2-3 shift, then I set P0717 (ISS No Signal) and go into 3rd Default Mode. I can clear the code on the fly and shift into 4th, 5th, and 6th with no trouble. If I ease off the throttle in 6th, I get an early downshift into 5th, set another P0717 (ISS No Signal), and go into 5th Default Mode.

I plan on checking the ISS PID while driving tomorrow just to make sure it's sending a satisfactory signal to the TCM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3rd Gear Fluid Diagram Attached
From the manual...
Drive Range, Third Gear

As the vehicle speed increases, the transmission control module (TCM) receives input signals from the automatic transmission input and output speed sensors, the throttle position sensor and other vehicle sensors to determine the precise moment to command OFF the normally-low 26 pressure control solenoid 4. At the same time the 35R pressure control solenoid 2 is also commanded ON to regulate 3-5 clutch apply.

3-5 Reverse Clutch Applies

35R Pressure Control Solenoid 2

The 35R pressure control solenoid 2 is commanded ON allowing actuator feed fluid to enter the pressure control solenoid (PCS) 35 reverse clutch fluid circuit. PCS 35 reverse clutch fluid is routed through orifice #36 and then to the 3-5 reverse clutch regulator valve. PCS 35 reverse clutch fluid is also routed through orifice #37 and then to the 3-5 reverse clutch boost valve.

3-5 Reverse Clutch Boost Valve

PCS 35 reverse clutch fluid pressure acts on a differential area moving the 3-5 reverse clutch boost valve against the 3-5 reverse clutch boost valve spring. The 35 reverse clutch fluid passes through the valve and enters the 35 reverse clutch feedback circuit. As PCS 35 reverse clutch fluid pressure is increased to a given value, the 3-5 reverse clutch boost valve opens the 35 reverse clutch feedback circuit to exhaust. This results in the 3-5 reverse clutch regulator valve moving to the full feed position sending full 35 reverse clutch feed pressure (full line pressure) to the clutch.

3-5 Reverse Clutch Regulator Valve

PCS 35 reverse clutch fluid moves the 3-5 reverse clutch regulator valve against 3-5 reverse clutch regulator valve spring force and 35 reverse clutch feedback fluid. This allows 35 reverse feed to pass through the valve and enter the 35 reverse clutch circuit. The 35 reverse clutch fluid is then routed to the 3-5 reverse clutch, the 3-5 reverse boost valve and the clutch select valve 2. When the 3-5 reverse clutch regulator valve is in this position, PS2 fluid from the pressure switch 2 exhausts through the valve allowing the switch to close.

3-5 Reverse Clutch

The 35 reverse clutch fluid enters the 3-5 reverse/4-5-6 clutch housing to move the piston against spring force to apply the 3-5 reverse clutch plates.

2-6 Clutch Releases

26 Pressure Control Solenoid 4

The 26 pressure control solenoid 4 is commanded OFF allowing PCS 26 clutch fluid from the 2-6 clutch regulator valve to exhaust. The 26 clutch/1234 clutch feed fluid at the 2-6 clutch regulator valve passes through the valve and enters the PS3 fluid circuit. PS3 fluid is then routed to pressure switch 3 and opens the normally-closed switch.

2-6 Clutch Regulator Valve

The 2-6 clutch regulator valve spring force moves the valve to allow 26 clutch fluid from the 2-6 clutch to pass through the valve and enter the exhaust backfill fluid circuit.

2-6 Clutch

The 2-6 clutch spring force moves the 2-6 clutch piston to release the 2-6 clutch plates and forces 26 clutch fluid to exhaust. The 26 clutch fluid is routed through the 2-6 clutch regulator valve where it enters the exhaust backfill fluid circuit and is exhausted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rd Gear.jpg (220.3 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmatlock88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmatlock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmatlock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #32
satlite440

2001 SL2

the iss is the sensor that is going through the bottom of the v/b case hole into a tunnel and goes out side the case in a funny way...if it needs to be replaced tie a 22gage wire to the tcm connecter end of the sensor leave it about 4ft long as this is what you will pull the iss harness back into the trans with...that said

note the iss is a 2 wire 3 way hall effect sensor..there is no way of field testing unless you are mcgyver/enginer and have the equipment to test hall effect sensors....in the field we use a variable signal generator that simulates the iss at a set rpm and voltage...if the scan data shows the correct speed&volts the chart says to replace the iss..during a o/h I replace the iss as there is no reliable way to test it via ohms or volts or continuity..

however if it is covered in aluminum fur when you pull it there might be issues..if you unplug it from the tcm and tie a string to it just in case..you can unbolt the trans mount on the drivers side jack up the trans and remove the bracket to gain acces to the iss bolt to pull it out some it's about 2 inches long..note the mount studs may have locktight applied to the threads so getting the 2 nuts off can be a chore. a rust penetrant is your friend..

you will have to refresh my memory didn't you say this unit had been gone through before???if so my one possible fear is that they didn't replace the end cover with the 2=6 cluch piston and low/reverse piston..when the wave plates fail the 3-5-r housing walks back and forth.the tone wheel for the iss is steel and cuts into the 2=6 piston return spring snap ring land. and if worn enough the land is shaved down enough eventualy the spring pressure pops out the snap ring land and the 2-6 piston flops out free and will cause a harsh shift..a good case for an incomplete repair..and should be covered under good will...

hth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!