SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default 98 SW2 Roof Leak near Hatch

Ď98 SW2 Roof Leak onto the Headliner near the Rear Hatch

Been leaking so long stalactites are forming
Old pic from before I tried any fix:

I searched and found,
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138214
^this 2009 thread does not say if the leak was fixed.

Anybody have that leak and was able to fix it? Thanks-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today, I cleaned and smeared 3M WindoWeld over the body seam:

Like my SC2, the leak could be from leaking little foam gaskets around the nylon inserts for the trim screws.
Prying up the roof trim:

...and the next to last trim screw is under the side glass. Iíd probably have to break the tab off the trim...

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
Default Re: 98 SW2 Roof Leak near Hatch

Many years ago (6+?) I had a similar leak in the upper rear hatch area. In my case, I think it was the roof seams directly adjacent to the hinges. I cleaned up the dirt and worked some clear silicone caulk into the seams and bridged over it. Since then, not leaks in that area, although the seams under the rear tail lights also started leaking into the wells behind the rear wheels.

Poor initial seam design funnels water into the car vs. shedding it and relies on sealant for everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Thank you - confidence is high. No leaks below, but I will check into it.
I think the headliner will clean up if I'm careful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
dalenpalmer
dalenpalmer is on a distinguished road

At online, we have the best services for roof repairs. Before we can utilize better to examine the exact problem of the roof and start the work for the roofs.

veedone

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dalenpalmer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dalenpalmer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dalenpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalenpalmer View Post
At online, we have the best services for roof repairs. Before we can utilize better to examine the exact problem of the roof and start the work for the roofs.

veedone

The leak is one of the easiest things to repair all you need is a small tube of silicone sealant and apply a light film on the body seams where the hatch door hinges are located.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalenpalmer View Post
veedone
dalenpalmer, is the name of your business, "online." I tried to search for it but goooogle found "About 10,490,000,000 results."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

^^ not judging, but the language structure seems to indicate someone from Sweden or thereabouts, talking about house roofs........IDK.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Well, if it was an honest post and there was a language barrier, then I stand (a blockhead) ...

As a followup, that seems to have fixed the leak.
If it is also leaking around the Nylon inserts for the torx screws, then OldNuc's fix of injecting flow-grade WindoWeld around the Nylon insert with a syringe would be a professional-sounding fix (and a run-on sentence)

I am keeping an eye out for any additional leaks (besides the missing wiper shaft grommet, that is).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

My 94 was leaking in the same place, I cleaned out that seam and re caulked it with gray rtv. Hasn't leaked since

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
hholbein

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
I am keeping an eye out for any additional leaks (besides the missing wiper shaft grommet, that is).
That rear window wiper grommet decayed early on with my Saturn. I'm 6+ years into the retrofit of a quality neoprene rubber grommet from a hardware store. Cost is <$1. I forget the exact size, but the interior diameter was ~22mm; best approach is to take off the hatch trim, remove the motor and grotty grommet, measure the wiper motor shaft size and head down to a well-stocked hardware store for a replacement. Insert the new grommet in the hole first, and then the motor. A little silicone lube could help get it in there properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #11
hholbein

1997 SW2

Now that I can see your photos in your post, you may want to smear some Windoweld on the roof hatch seams that are on the other side of the hinges -- on the back and inside. That was where my leak was, and others as well. The water migrates to the corners when you drive around.

Fortunately, when the hatch is closed it covers up the stuff. I used clear silicone caulk, which is a bit less obvious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #12
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
Now that I can see your photos in your post, you may want to smear some Windoweld on the roof hatch seams that are on the other side of the hinges -- on the back and inside. That was where my leak was, and others as well. The water migrates to the corners when you drive around.

Fortunately, when the hatch is closed it covers up the stuff. I used clear silicone caulk, which is a bit less obvious.
^At the time, I figured I could put another layer on and smooth it better. The first layer had to be built-up over the actual seam...and I had XL (made in ) neoprene gloves on

Did you mean the sheetmetal lap joint is the other side of the hinge? I do not see one. A design change?

Or, the driverís side could leak too? I patched both passenger and driverís side. (picture below)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!