SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Default Administrators - Floating Ads

Recently, while logged-in to the forum, floating ads have appeared over the text while I am reading a post.

Why are these ads appearing while a member is logged in? Since they block the text, they are very, very annoying.

Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Administrators - Floating Ads

If you are using a tablet like I use my Nexus-7, I turn off Javascript to disable ads and floaters. It isn't Saturnfans as these ads are paying for supporting the site (in my opinion). The only annoying part of doing this; when going to other sites I have to turn on Javascript or the site warns me that I need to enable Java................I found disabling Javascript (on my tablet) allows Saturnfans to run faster without ads, stripping away all the extra time needed to load them. These floating ads only occur on my tablet. None appear on my laptop/Win-7/Google Chrome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Thanks - the floating ads appear when I use my iPad - not a Windows based laptop or desktop.

I understand the need for revenue and to pay for the forum - but floating these ads over the text for registered / logged-in users is very irritating.

I'm not sure how to disable the Javascript on my iPad - but I'll try to figure it out. Very frustrating - log in, disable Javascript........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I posted this annoyance but no one replied from Google so I observed the floating ads only occurring on my tablet and not on my laptop when the teeny tiny lightbulb in my head turned on and the adventure began until I found javascript as the problem. Google Chrome on laptop and tablet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I get them on my smartphone too which is pretty annoying.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 181,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

I get them on my desktop when using chrome. Just started this week....very annoying to the point that I dont come here any longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
wagatu
wagatu is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1999 SW2

Yep, I still come here, but don't stay near as long. I understand needing ads to keep the page up, but it's just driving people away the way they are doing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wagatu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wagatu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wagatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny95sl2 View Post
I get them on my desktop when using chrome. Just started this week....very annoying to the point that I dont come here any longer.
I've been using Google Chrome on my laptop for several years and do not have floating ads. I use a free antivirus program too.................

"Its business, nothing personal...."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

When I use google chrome on my Samsung Android smartphone, I still get the floating ads.

Edit: using the default browser, I went to settings, content settings, and unchecked enable Javascript. Voila! As someone else said, pain in the @$$ to have to switch it on and off, but not as much as those damn hover ads.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 181,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

Last edited by cityhawk; 10-17-2014 at 03:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #10
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
2006 ION-2 Sedan

From time to time I get the floating banner ads, but it actually seems to happen less when using ie8 on Windows XP!!!
Of course, this comes with a price, as my XP laptop has a potato for a processor.
Saturnfans would be a 10/10 without ads.

The only difference between an idiot's arguement and a knife is that the knife has a point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackbeard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
duranged2001
duranged2001 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down Re: Administrators - Floating Ads

I love this site, but the floating ads are HORRIBLE when browsing on an iPad. I would more likely boycott the companies or services in the ads than click on them or patronize their services.

I know the site has to generate revenue, but this form of advertising is more commonly associated with shady spam or malware spewing sites. Please adjust the settings to remove this obtrusive annoyance.

Thanks for considering,
Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to duranged2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help duranged2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
duranged2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Good luck trying to get the Admin's attention (here). Unless its urgent and requires private messaging, I don't think Charlie reads all the threads. For one thing, I doubt this free site will remain free unless someone picks up the operating costs - the ads are paying for this free site. And to reiterate, I have these floating ads only on my tablet using Android with Chrome as my browser. I do not have any floating ads on my Win7 laptop using Chrome with a free (tweaked) antivirus program. On my tablet, I simply disable Javascript to kill floating ads while on Saturnfans but must enable it whenever browsing anywhere that requires it. Annoying but simple to do. Unfortunately, you have a choice................a little annoyance that saves hundreds of dollars whenever something from here helps is better than not using this site and never finding free help/answers that most pay thru the nose for whether in repair shops or GM service centers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
emsvitil
Advanced Member
emsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L

Don't advertisers realize that a lot of people will blacklist products that have annoying/obtrusive popup ads...............

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emsvitil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emsvitil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emsvitil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #14
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Adblock plus is wonderful. I get them on the tablet too. I've started getting a redirect to softwareupdaterlp.com too...only when logging onto saturnfans.

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote