SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
Geego
Geego is on a distinguished road

Default How to bleed clutch

I have been bleeding the clutch for 3-4 days and still there is barely any clutch in the pedal.
I transferred the motor and tranny from another car which was driving and had lots of clutch.

I tried the vacuum deal and it seem to remove the fluid from the brakes and so I had to bleed the brakes again. Still no clutch so I started bleeding the clutch again and after a couple days, still no clutch.
It has about 1" of pedal so I have to press the pedal forcin it to the floor to get it in gear with a fight.

Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Geego's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Geego reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Geego is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: How to bleed clutch

stop multi-posting the same questions

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
KevinMoire
KevinMoire is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
stop multi-posting the same questions
hahahah

www.enjoiyourself.com
2004 Custom Ion-2 74k Original Owner (totalled)
2007 InfernoRed Dodge Charger SXT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevinMoire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevinMoire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevinMoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
saturn god
saturn god is on a distinguished road

Yes the only way is with a mighty vac or some kind of vaccum pump.fill the resivor up all the way.get about 15 to 20 in of vaccum and press the pedal 10 times then go and pump more vaccum in to it and press the pedal 10more times...then take the vaccum off the resivor for 20 min and see if u have a pedal....repeat untill u have good pedal.the ket is to wait at least 20 min after there was vaccum on the resivor. This will work

I KNOW EVERY THING ABOUT SATURNS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn god's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn god reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
chadisrad
chadisrad is on a distinguished road

Wrench Re: How to bleed clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn god View Post
Yes the only way is with a mighty vac or some kind of vaccum pump.fill the resivor up all the way.get about 15 to 20 in of vaccum and press the pedal 10 times then go and pump more vaccum in to it and press the pedal 10more times...then take the vaccum off the resivor for 20 min and see if u have a pedal....repeat untill u have good pedal.the ket is to wait at least 20 min after there was vaccum on the resivor. This will work
I wouldn't say it's the only way... I read another post on here and antler-lights stated he just connected a hose to a Shop Vac on! Great idea!

After looking how a mighty vac worked, I built a modified one with a glass bottle and a shop vac. Now I can reuse the drained fluid. (Make sure your glass is clean before you use it!)

At first I didn't think it was going to give enough vacuum, but it worked like a charm! I had the clutch working in 20 min!

I used part of an old dishwasher drain hose, drilled a hole in the side and put a hose in.

Clamp the hose to the bleeder valve and stick a shop vac on top and your in business. I think it works just as well if not better then a Might Vac.

The best part, it didn't cost me anything.

For anyone who is going to try this, It was hard to find actual instructions on how to bleed it online so here's what worked for me and the steps I took:

1. Put hose on bleeder valve and turn on vacuum.
2. Open bleeder valve. (Pull ring and pull hose out slightly if its plastic. It should move about 3mm give or take).
3. Pump the clutch 10 times.
4. Look for bubbles in the vacuum line. (Repeat steps 3 and 4 until there are no bubbles coming out. This usually takes about 10 times. Also be careful that none of the hoses pop out... Check it often or you'll have to start back at step 1.)
5. Close the bleeder valve and put the ring back in to lock it. Turn off the vacuum.
6. Press the clutch, the last inch or so before it gets to the floor should give resistance. (If this doesn't work go back to step 2.)
7. Pump the clutch, it should start feeling normal after many of pumps.
8. Test drive and enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (178.3 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by chadisrad; 03-14-2013 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Bad English

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chadisrad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chadisrad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chadisrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:28 AM   #6
kucing
kucing is on a distinguished road

good information and spectacular

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kucing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kucing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kucing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
007 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 SL1

Ok great advise so far ----- BUT-- if you put a hose on the bleeder it should go into a CLEAN uncontaminated source of brake fluid so when you are pumping it up and looking for bubbles it will suck back clean fluid .... * the hose should be immersed in fluid as when the bubbles go out the fluid goes in

If those do not work try it from an old mechanic
you will need 2 people
person in the car and one out of the car
have the person in the car push the clutch peddle down --as the peddle is being depressed open the bleeder----CLOSE the bleeder befor the peddle reaches it floor... do this 2 to 3 times

if you pump it will it get any pressure???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
06_Ion2
06_Ion2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Best method I used was run a hose off the bleeder to a bottle of fluid. And then modify a resivor cap for a vacuum hose. Works very well but takes a while to get all the bubbles out.

VISIT MY CARDOMAIN --> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2259877
s256 turbo, vulcan intake, exedy clutch, 8.9:1, camed, eagle rods, 2.4 tb, B&G coilovers, patriot head, stage 2 axels 418whp 2.2 :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06_Ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06_Ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06_Ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
Atafoya
Atafoya is on a distinguished road

What kind of vacuum would you use to bleed the hydraulic clutch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Atafoya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Atafoya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Atafoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

any little hand pump will work.
one I got was amighty vac from oreillys.
harbor freight has some cheaper versions too

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote