SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #41
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: How-To: MMO Piston Soak + Oil Change

ops did I say smell and taste, I mean feel, like between your thumb and for finger. I dont know why I said smell and taste, its smells and tastes minty with an atf undertone.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #42
boilerroom
boilerroom is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

this is my next project

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boilerroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boilerroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boilerroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #43
narfoner
narfoner is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: How-To: MMO Piston Soak + Oil Change

Awesome write up! I have mine soaking right now. My plan is to soak it for just 3-4 hours then turn it over to clear it out. Then I'll immediately soak it again over night and hopefully that will loosen it up a little more than just one soak.

I have a 6 hour drive coming up this weekend and don't want to worry about topping off my oil on the way there and back. I already put on a new valve cover and cleaned the EGR. So far there has been quite the noticeable difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to narfoner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help narfoner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
narfoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #44
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

I started soaking a car last night using Kreen. 2oz per cylinder. This morning I see the two front cylinders dry. The other two still have some Kreen. Can't exactly tell the level though. Does that mean anything? The car runs great, just notice some light smoke at random times from the exhaust. Most of the time no smoke at all. I put back 2oz in the empty cylinders and topped up the other two. Will check back tonight. And what's the point of an oil change right after if the stuff is supposed to be added to the oil and driven 1000 miles anyway. I just changed the oil before doing this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #45
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Point of the oil change is that its a solvent that will greatly degrade the lubricational properties of the oil I wouldnt drive more than 50 miles with it in the oil.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #46
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

But you're SUPPOSED to add it to the oil and drive 1000 miles before a change to clean out what the piston soak missed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #47
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

I don't see how anything in the crankcase would help clean the oil rings (other than good quality oil helping _keep_ them clean in the first place). The idea of the piston soak is that it indeed _soaks_ the rings; lets whatever you use do its thing over time. Any additive to the oil, with the engine running, the pistons are moving too fast for any additive to work on the rings. And if this new stuff is considerably thinner than the oil itself, I would not leave it in for as long as 1000 miles, as it would dilute the lubricating capacity of the oil.

As for the Kreen draining down from above on two of the cylinders, I've read/heard different things about that. One take on it is that if it drains down, that's actually a good thing; it means that oil ring is _not_ coked up, just leave it. And let the ones remaining soak a little longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #48
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

For people reading this thread, it might be worth reading over the official Saturn TSB on how to do the top end cleaning, outlined in this thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...highlight=soak

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #49
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

What does the MMO soak accomplish? ... and if I perform one on my SW2 with 130,000 miles on it, what results should I expect?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #50
coolgreany
coolgreany is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
What does the MMO soak accomplish? ... and if I perform one on my SW2 with 130,000 miles on it, what results should I expect?
It should help free up any stuck piston rings you have. Results could be slightly better performance and less oil burning.

02 VUE Auto AWD-63k-Florida
02 SL2 Manual -76K, Germany
00 SL2 Auto-90K-failed emissions, Portland, OR
99 SL2 Auto-115K-aging, Portland, OR

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coolgreany's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coolgreany reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #51
thejushinator
thejushinator is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I assume the process is the same in a SOHC?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thejushinator's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thejushinator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thejushinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #52
coolgreany
coolgreany is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Should be similar pistons with same stuck rings.

02 VUE Auto AWD-63k-Florida
02 SL2 Manual -76K, Germany
00 SL2 Auto-90K-failed emissions, Portland, OR
99 SL2 Auto-115K-aging, Portland, OR

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coolgreany's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coolgreany reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #53
rTKEz452
rTKEz452 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1

Would it be safe to say this process works just as well, if not better, by replacing MMO with Seafoam?

I would imagine that an oil change is absolutely necessary after, say within 20 miles or so.. and the process would pretty much be the same with an SOHC its just the plugs are in a different location.

Much thanks and a great thread!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rTKEz452's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rTKEz452 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rTKEz452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #54
geedavey
geedavey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psywar View Post

This part gets pretty messy due to the location of the filter. so Expect some oil to come out and go everywhere.. Its normal!

This is the general location of the Filter (Up about 1ft from the Oil Pan Drain Plug, and over to the passengerside 1/2 a foot. Its kind of hidden if you don't know what your looking for.)
It's actually much easier to get at the oil filter through the passenger side wheel well. Remove the wheel, then pop the two expansion plugs on the rearmost wheel well shield and remove it. The oil filter is right there and easy to turn by hand or with a wrench.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geedavey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geedavey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geedavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #55
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedavey View Post
It's actually much easier to get at the oil filter through the passenger side wheel well. Remove the wheel, then pop the two expansion plugs on the rearmost wheel well shield and remove it. The oil filter is right there and easy to turn by hand or with a wrench.
You do realize this thread is 2 years old.....

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #56
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: How-To: MMO Piston Soak + Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedavey View Post
I've been doing it this way for over 20 years and highly recommend it too.

Several years ago I started using one of these flexible green funnel things pictured below to keep the subframe and such below the oil filter from getting dirty with the old used oil. The oil that drains when the filter is loosened goes into the little trough (mostly), and then it hits my flexible green funnel thing which catches nearly everything and directs it toward the basin on the floor under the oil pan. Afterward I wipe the flexible green funnel thing clean. It still has the first shape I made, and by rotating it under the axle to get it in and out keeps the shape. It works well. Just a little pricey. Mine is the older style with lead rather than aluminum inside.

Usually as the filter comes off the engine all the way, a bit of oil does go on the axle but it rarely goes on the rubber bellow boot. I suppose we could be creative with the flexible green funnel thing, or maybe even a piece of aluminum foil, to keep the axle clean...

We can buy these from several places. Here is the manufacturer's webpage for it:
http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/pig-for...hop_by_product

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote