SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
cmfazio000
cmfazio000 is on a distinguished road

Default Amsoil HDD vs. Rotella. How to use oversize filter. OldNuc?

I have a 1997 sc2 with 118,000 miles. It normally burns a qt of oil every 3000 miles. I know that's not a lot. Lately it has been burning more. I haven't found a thread that answers all of my questions. So here they are.

***By the way, I tried Pennzoil full synthetic once and it started leaking from what seemed like the rear main. Never confirmed it though. Switching back to a synthetic blend fixed this.

1. With a history of leaking synthetic oil, which would be the safer bet: Rotella 5w 40 or Amsoil 5w 30 HDD

2. Do I need to add more oil when using an oversize oil filter?

3. When using either Amsoil or Rotella, when should you change the oil? 7,500 is the number I see most often with the m1-209 filter. Some claim you can go longer. Could you get 15,000 with the right filter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cmfazio000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cmfazio000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cmfazio000 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Amsoil HDD vs. Rotella. How to use oversize filter. OldNuc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfazio000 View Post
I have a 1997 sc2 with 118,000 miles. It normally burns a qt of oil every 3000 miles. I know that's not a lot. Lately it has been burning more. I haven't found a thread that answers all of my questions. So here they are.

***By the way, I tried Pennzoil full synthetic once and it started leaking from what seemed like the rear main. Never confirmed it though. Switching back to a synthetic blend fixed this.
That leak may just have been a failed pan seal at he back end or leaking cam cover. These are things you need to do before changing oils.
Check CAM cover first.
You can not see an oil leak. Clean off the head/cam cover joint with clean paper towels and brake cleaner until spotless. Start engine and allow to sit at idle until the fan is about to come on and then shut it off. Now take a ball of toilet paper and blot all around the head/cam cover joint and check the paper for signs of oil after every blot. If you do not find any oil give the car several hours to sit and cool then repeat toilet paper spot test.

1. With a history of leaking synthetic oil, which would be the safer bet: Rotella 5w 40 or Amsoil 5w 30 HDD
I would go with the Rotella T-6 only in the 10w-40 as long as you have ~30F and above ambient temps. At least for the first attempt.

2. Do I need to add more oil when using an oversize oil filter?
Yes, about 10-12 oz more and fill the filter at least half full from that amount of oil. The WIX is the latest player on the high end filter market with the 51516XP Which can be found at a decent price. Just about any filter should be changed at 7500 miles and unless you run oil samples the oil as well. Obviously that can be pushed out somewhat.

3. When using either Amsoil or Rotella, when should you change the oil? 7,500 is the number I see most often with the m1-209 filter. Some claim you can go longer. Could you get 15,000 with the right filter?
You can get the 15,000 depending on lots of various things so you start slow and see how it all works out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
cmfazio000

Thank you very much! The temp here in South Carolina can get into the low teens at times. It's going to get down to 28 on Wednesday and it's only December! Should I still go with the Rotella first?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cmfazio000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Well, Depends if the car is in a garage or not. Generally you wil be close enough and the T-6 should be fine. Check the cam cover first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
cmfazio000

I can't seem to find rotella in 10w 40. I only see a 15w and 5w. Car is not kept in a garage. I will be sure to check the cam cover tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Rotella T-6 is what you want. And It is a 5w-40 oil so you will be fine with it. I doubt if it will ever get cold enough to cause you any grief. Walmart usually has it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The T-6 is easy to get and will tell you quickly if this is going to work out for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I've run several 8K mi oil change intervals with Rotella T6 5W40 and it starts just find in the cold. It was recently in the teens here in the Pacific NW where's it's typically mild as well, and the engine turned over nicely.

You may fine your first 1-2 changes with T6 turn black fairly quick with all the crud that it's cleaning up. This is normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
Upstate Saturn
Upstate Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutUpstate Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutUpstate Saturn has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
You may fine your first 1-2 changes with T6 turn black fairly quick with all the crud that it's cleaning up. This is normal.

Does synthetic oil normally turn darker faster, and/or does it start out life darker? I was surprised how dark my oil seemed on my rebuilt motor after a relatively short time. It was rebuilt by a shop but they let me look at everything when it came apart, and then when it came back from the machine shop before it all went back together, and at least all the parts I could see were spotless.

2001 SL2 manual - original owner - remanufactured engine at 228k miles, December 2015
1992 SL1 - bought used in '93, totaled in '00 at 170k miles, drove it cross-country a lot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Upstate Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Upstate Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Upstate Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Guess: The darker oil is probably from the assembly lube they put on all the bearings. Maybe it was some type of molybdenum disulfide assembly paste.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 13 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

No it does not start out darker, most is water clear. Rebuilt engines should be run with an initial fill of decent quality oil and filters until the engine sits ant idle until the fan switches on twice in the case of an S-series and then shutdown and allowed to cool. Once cool the oil and filters are changed. The fill oil should be the same oil as planned for long term use as well as the high quality long term filters. This oil change is run for 750-1000 miles and changed again. this fill may be run to the first planned long run oil change interval considering filter life etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!