SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #41
Carlisle_Outlk
Carlisle_Outlk is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2008 Saturn Outlook XR - Bad Cams ?!?

Its been mentioned several times on this thread that satisfied customers are much less likely to post their experiences. I agree with that opinion, so in the interest of balanced reporting here's a post from a satisfied customer.

We ordered a Diamond White 2007 Outlook XR AWD (all options except second row DVD and towing package) in January 2007. It required about 10 weeks for the build and we took delivery from the dealer on March 24, 2007. The entire sales process was low pressure and very easy (thank you Saturn of Lowell). Since day one this car has been my daily driver. Its mileage is now just over 28k.

We often take our Outlook on weekend trips (skiing all over New England, camping in NH, VT, & ME, NY City for a concert or a show, up to Quebec City for the 400th festivities, etc...) and it has never let us down. It's big enough to take all of our skiing or camping equipment, it handles like a much smaller vehicle, and with the AWD it never comes even close to getting stuck.

During the last year and a half I've only had regular service and official GM campaign fixes done to the car (transmission reprogramming, drive train bolt replacement, power steering fluid top up, fix a seal in front of the driver's door, etc...) while it was in for routine service. I've never brought it in for an issue.

I recently received mail from GM telling me to bring it in to get heated windshield washer, windshield wiper arm, and rooftop drain issues fixed. I will certainly have them address these items the next time its in for routine service, but none of those issues are evident on my Outlook at this time.

Overall we are extremely satisfied with our choice and would definitely purchase this car (truck?) again if we had to do it over. Based on my experience I strongly recommend this vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlisle_Outlk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlisle_Outlk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlisle_Outlk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #42
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
I have also been thinking about an Outlook/Acadia/Enclave/Traverse. Based on posts here as well as repair histories reported at truedelta.com it seems there are some things that GM still needs to work on with the Lambdas. It is a shame, because these vehicles offer a lot at a very good price.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. It is very disappointing. Call me a pessimist but with GM's current cashflow situation, I would not expect GM to be making corrective measures that would cost the company money.

The Outlook was at the top of my list but after seeing engine issues pop up on the 3.6L, count me out. As a former owner a GM with the dreaded 3.4L biodegradable engine, I won't ever buy a car with known engine defects. My 2nd choice is a 2009 Toyota Sienna, not as good looking as an Outlook but less of a risk to buy....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #43
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

What I don't get is that I am haven't seen complaints of bad cams in other vehicles that use the 3.6, like the Aura and Vue. I am not saying that the problem doesn't exist, just that it seems weird. Regardless, I will be avoiding the Lambdas until they get this figured out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #44
hitthebids
hitthebids is on a distinguished road

I had this done. Took 3 trips to the dealer to even locate what the pblm was. They had to order parts, that took 2 weeks. Took an extra day to fix and when the gave me back the car the check engine light was still on. When i drove it right back in to the shop they found out that they had broken a porcelian sensor and guess what? It had to be ordered. From finally getting the pblm diagnosed till it was fixed was about a month. Plus the car still is not right. Are the belts make noise now and i think i have an oil leak some where. GM is no help. They should have taken these cars back. Never buying another GM car in my lifetime.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hitthebids's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hitthebids reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hitthebids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #45
ALWAYS V5
ALWAYS V5 is on a distinguished road

I have seen it in two VUEs as well. The reason it is mainly in the Outlooks is that the supplier of the heads for the specific production run of Outlooks made the heads out of spec. It has been addressed and taken care of. Slow your roll man. It is a good engine, you don't have to flush the entire company because of a few thousand bad cylinder heads. You own something more advanced than the lunar module, mistakes happen to everyone, even the all mighty Japanese. Check this out: http://http://www.consumeraffairs.co...ettlement.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ALWAYS V5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ALWAYS V5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ALWAYS V5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #46
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALWAYS V5 View Post
I have seen it in two VUEs as well. The reason it is mainly in the Outlooks is that the supplier of the heads for the specific production run of Outlooks made the heads out of spec. It has been addressed and taken care of. Slow your roll man. It is a good engine, you don't have to flush the entire company because of a few thousand bad cylinder heads. You own something more advanced than the lunar module, mistakes happen to everyone, even the all mighty Japanese. Check this out: http://http://www.consumeraffairs.co...ettlement.html
Agree, but try telling that to someone who forked over 30 grand and got the shaft? If it were me, I would be alot more vocal about it than that. When you pay that amount of money for an American car, it better be reliable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #47
1993SC2
Advanced Member
1993SC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

all of this makes me wish everything was OBD1. Man, that's simple stuff... until compared with a briggs and stratton.

Then: 1993SC2m
Now: 1996 Jeep XJ, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #48
chunda2
chunda2 is on a distinguished road

Car was back in the shop again yesterday. I was noticing the hesitation of the engine again when I pushed on the gas (similar to what I experienced when the CAM issue started). They did the Transmission Software upgrade and said that would fix it. Also had theWindshield Wiper arms fixed (due to recalls). They weren't even aware of the 'Heated Windshield Wiper Fluid' recall...they are still researching that one.

My front headlight went out about a week ago and I asked them to fix it. Low and behold...ANOTHER KNOWN PROBLEM!

They have ordered another new wiring harness. I think this will be my 5th wiring harness!!! I've been told they are seeing this problem with quite a few Outlooks. Something else to add to the list.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chunda2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chunda2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chunda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #49
NRJIZED
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunda2 View Post
My front headlight went out about a week ago and I asked them to fix it. Low and behold...ANOTHER KNOWN PROBLEM!
As opposed to the rear headlight? What were you thinking when you typed this? Which front headlight?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #50
chunda2

Oh for the love of... Are you kidding me? What was I thinking when I wrote that? I was thinking of all the people who have nothing better to do than respond with nonsense like this!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chunda2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 AM   #51
NRJIZED
NRJIZED is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Oh for the love of... Are you kidding me? What was I thinking when I wrote that? I was thinking of all the people who have nothing better to do than respond with nonsense like this!
Wow, got your undies ironed lately? Seems bunched up a bit. It was a bit of witty sarcasm at the fact that you don't have headlights on the back of the car. Sorry I couldn't take 3 seconds of my life to crack a smart one when given the opportunity. Carry on with your headlight on the back of your Outlook.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NRJIZED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NRJIZED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NRJIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #52
Suzsanders
Suzsanders is on a distinguished road

The service dept couldn't figure out what was still wrong with my Outlook (surprise, surprise), so they place what is essentially a black box in my car. It is a cylinder shaped device that takes up one of my cupholders, and I have to push the big red button on the top when I have a problem so it can record any data the car is sending at that time--I thought the internal computer and OnStar were supposed to do that--silly me. On top of the traction control/stabilitrak problem, my Outlook has started sending me the message "Park Assist Off" (essentially that my parking brake is engaged). So, when I am driving 70 down the freeway or 35 down a country road, I never know when this message will come on and try to jerk me to a stop. I can't wait for snow and ice--accident waiting to happen. Naturally, when I took it in to the shop for the 4th time for a total (so far) of 28 days, the black box had recorded nothing so they didn't think that they could help me. What happened years ago when there were no computers on vehicles. Did no one ever get their car fixed because no technician could figure out the problem on their own!? This doesn't count towards the lemon law in IL because this is a "new" problem. If it was just based on service issues, my vehicle officially qualifies for the lemon law in 2 days!! Just what I expected from a $35,000 vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Suzsanders's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Suzsanders reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Suzsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #53
chunda2

I brought my car into the shop to have the 5th wiring harness installed. After waiting 2 hours I was informed they ordered the wrong harness. Of course! How silly of me to think it would actually get fixed the first time around!

Suz "This doesn't count towards the lemon law in IL because this is a "new" problem. "
The Lemon Law States:

(b) A presumption that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a new vehicle to its express warranties shall arise where, within the statutory warranty period,

(1) the same nonconformity has been subject to repair by the seller, its agents or authorized dealers during the statutory warranty period, 4 or more times, and such nonconformity continues to exist; or

(2) the vehicle has been out of service by reason of repair of nonconformities for a total of 30 or more business days during the statutory warranty period.

So even though they consider it multiple problems it would still qualify.

Have you called GM and opened a ticket with them? Worst case scenario you could get the extended 5 year bumper to bumper warranty from GM - which is what I got.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #54
rpasquarello2
rpasquarello2 is on a distinguished road

Here is an update. Head was replaced last year (5/2008) for a 3rd time for bad cams. Now (11/2009) the Outlook is again getting the head replaced because of, you guessed it, bad cams. Head #4 with about 21,000 miles on the truck. Now I am trying to get a replacement from Saturn for a totally new truck or a complete refund by invoking the threat of arbitratation and the Lemon Law in NY. Not too easy but have a call in with the Atty General's office to discuss. GM very sketchy and claims that the dealer (only 1 of 2 left on Long Island) is not helpful giving them any information about the problem and how it is being addressed.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rpasquarello2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rpasquarello2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rpasquarello2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #55
rpasquarello
rpasquarello is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
Default 2008 Saturn Outlook XR - Bad Cams ?!? --> Final Disposition of Truck

All,

I originated this thread. Here is the final update. I took the truck in again back in November 2009 for the Check Engine light coming on after putting the truck in towing mode and pulling my 20' boat for about 2 hours. This time, it was in the shop for 17 calendar days for, you guessed it, problems with the rear bank cams.

Finally, they put shims in to adjust for free play in the cams (per some TSB) and swore it was OK. Despite my escalations and literal begging and pleading for help, GM adamantly refused to replace the vehicle in any way, shape or form.

Due to Lemon Laws in NY, I qualified for arbitration based on the service history of the truck. It took just under 2 months from start to finish. The day before court, GM's atty. called me, apologized and offered to settle out for exactly what i would have won in court.

According to them, I would have won (so they said) hands down. By settling out, I saved the atty. and a GM Master mechanic a 6 hour drive down to Long Island, hotel fees, etc. "for a case they would never have had a chance to win." The paperwork was faxed, checked by an atty. I knew at work, and sent back to them in about 1 hour.

The case was then passed to the Buyback Dept. at GM and the paperwork took about a month to process. The truck was then taken back by one of the two remaining dealerships on Long Island on Jan 30, 2010 -- where they had a check from GM itself already cut and waiting. The inspection and paperwork took about an hour and I handed what was truly a lemon back.

If GM had swapped the motor out, I might have kept it since we really loved it. But GM wasted everyone's time and money by not putting a new motor in way back when. I truly hope it was fixed so whoever picks it up at auction doesn't have the headaches I did.

On a final note, the Service Manager at Saturn of Smithtown left us with a lasting impression of the level of professionalism and caring that most Saturn dealerships were known for. After we handed the keys back to him forever, he offered to and drove us down the road where we had a new 2010 Acura MDX waiting for us. He apologized for the quality problems we had with the Outlook and wished us the best of luck (with tears in his eyes) with our new truck.

Today, that dealership remains servicing Saturns now but now sells Mitsubishi's -- so most people kept their jobs, thank God. They were great to deal with and they were never at fault for what happened when the truck was manufactured.

It's a damn shame what GM did to the Saturn brand and its loyal employees.

Best of luck to all of you,

Rocco

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rpasquarello's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rpasquarello reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rpasquarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #56
Wingmn
Wingmn is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
2009 Outlook XR

Thank you for sharing this entire experience with us. It is a shame that legal action had to be threatened and started before the matter was properly resolved. I can only imagine the frustration you guys must have went through during this entire ordeal. It's a shame you got a bad Outlook as well... I'm amazed they didn't replace the engine after the second/third time back for the same issue. Thanks again for following up so we can learn from your experience.

93 SL2a (My work shuttle) 225k
09 FWD Outlook (Wife's vehicle) 82k
13 Ford Fusion Hybrid (New family shuttle) 31k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wingmn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wingmn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #57
LakeGirl
LakeGirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's certainly true - I have most definitely received the lemon! However, a friend of mine has a 2007 Acadia and has had NO problems at all! And 2007 models were supposed to have more problems than the 2008's (which I have).

I am at the point where I have to laugh when something goes wrong with my vehicle just to try and keep my sanity. The recalls announced today gave ma quite a chuckle...I will be getting my 3rd wiring harness. I've decided that whoever was working the day my car rolled off the factory was either really hung-over or was fresh out of 'mechanics 101' class.
hoSo sorry to hear of all your problems. Just wanted to say that we bought our 2008 Outlook used, with 24k miles on it. Driven for 4 years, it now has 89k miles, and we haven't had a single problem with it. I sincerely hope your problems with this one are resolved to your satisfaction!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LakeGirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LakeGirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote