SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Opinions on Saturn Outlook

I have been contemplating our next vehicle purchase. Thinking of handing down the '05 Vue to my son and getting my wife something a little larger with an auto tranny, heated seats and just a little more comfort.

I am probably looking to find something '08-'10 with <100k miles that I can buy for around $10-$12k. I like the newer Ford Exploders, but they all see priced very high for what they are.

What do you all think about the Saturn Outlook? ( or equiv: Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia)

Any known issues with the drivetrain?
3.6 L LY7 V6
3.6 L LLT V6
Transmission 6-speed 6T70 automatic

Also looking for something with an automatic liftgate. My wife has been going through treatement for ovarian cancer, and she has been having trouble with our Vues manual tranny and liftgate. I have looked over several sites, but have not found a good list of available options for each trim level.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Opinions on Saturn Outlook

I love my '07 Outlook, but I've been very lucky. I don't have a sunroof or the evil ignition switch, and I've already had my timing chain and steering replaced under warranty (thank goodness!)

At seven years and 150,000km it's still running well, and my mechanic is optimistic. I'm a little nervous with the amount of rust at only 7 years, though.

I can't speak to any of the newer models, of course.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Penrod
Penrod has a spectacular aura aboutPenrod has a spectacular aura about

2009 Outlook XE

I haven't had any major issues with my wife's 09 Outlook that weren't pretty much self inflicted. It doesn't have an auto lift gate though so don't know much about those issues. If you do your own maintenance then it's not too bad. Reading the different posts you get a list of different problems, but I'm sure you'd find the same things on any other vehicle forum. All in all I'm happy with our Outlook.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Penrod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Penrod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Penrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald View Post
I love my '07 Outlook, but I've been very lucky. I don't have a sunroof or the evil ignition switch, and I've already had my timing chain and steering replaced under warranty (thank goodness!)
What went wrong with your timing chain? I think these have variable timed cams, so I sure hope there aren't many issues with those.

Quote:
At seven years and 150,000km it's still running well, and my mechanic is optimistic. I'm a little nervous with the amount of rust at only 7 years, though.
I currently live in Chicagoland, but travel to the southeast on a regular basis. I was already thinking about buying one from a salt-free state and just driving it back.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

timing chains get sludged up and need to be replaced, power steering leaks, wave plate on transmission brake. all three will happen. very unusal to not. if you want to buy one id go for 2012 or newer. i loved my 08 i bought new july of 2007. sold it march 2010 with 42k miles. tranny leaking, power steering leaking and just waiting for the rest. it was sooo many of them with these problems.really too bad its a beautiful car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
What went wrong with your timing chain? I think these have variable timed cams, so I sure hope there aren't many issues with those.
It's a well known issue with a whole group of GM engines of this era; In layman's terms, the timing chain stretches under load, eventually far enough that the engine computer can't compensate. Replacing them is like a two-day job. Search the forums for details.

I forgot about the transmission wave-plate issue; mine hasn't failed yet, so I'm still waiting for that excitement; it's another expensive, multi-hour repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote