SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
nedford
nedford is on a distinguished road

2000 SL
Dizzy 2000 saturn sl oil and idle issues

I recently bought my first saturn, and for the most part do love it. It was a slightly shady buy though at only 700 bucks, but it had 200,000 miles on it and from what I visually inspected didn't seem that bad at first. It was said it had some issues with the pcv valve and it was spitting a little oil out the exhaust pipe, so I bought a new pcv valve for real cheap and had less issues but less reliable idle, then shortly after changing the oil filter(which yes I know the original could have been reused if it hadn't broken in the process of me removing it), I had many issues with the oil aka seafoaming out the exhaust and way worse idle issues. This confuses me cause performance wise it runs as if it were getting fine compression and all. I tried reading more into it and some sources say it could also be the egr valve. Please help me brainstorm?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nedford's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nedford reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nedford is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1
Default Re: 2000 saturn sl oil and idle issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedford View Post
I recently bought my first saturn, and for the most part do love it. It was a slightly shady buy though at only 700 bucks, but it had 200,000 miles on it and from what I visually inspected didn't seem that bad at first. It was said it had some issues with the pcv valve and it was spitting a little oil out the exhaust pipe, so I bought a new pcv valve for real cheap and had less issues but less reliable idle, then shortly after changing the oil filter(which yes I know the original could have been reused if it hadn't broken in the process of me removing it), I had many issues with the oil aka seafoaming out the exhaust and way worse idle issues. This confuses me cause performance wise it runs as if it were getting fine compression and all. I tried reading more into it and some sources say it could also be the egr valve. Please help me brainstorm?
With 200K on the car I would run a Compression test, Plus a tune up couldnt hurt, Does the car have a service engine soon lamp on? Any list of parts that were replaced or serviced on the car?

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

+1 to the above. Check the basics first. Even if the engine is fine and it has old crappy fouled plugs, you can get all kinds of issues. Usually anything major with the EGR or misfires will set a code, and you can go from there with trouble shooting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
nedford

2000 SL
Post Re: 2000 saturn sl oil and idle issues

The service engine light is on and it shuts off sometimes.
The compression test isn't a bad Idea will do and keep you updated. It only sends the oil out aka sea foams at a high rpm, like past 3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nedford reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

What's the SES code?

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
nedford

2000 SL
Roll Eyes Re: 2000 saturn sl oil and idle issues

I'm waiting to get a compression tester cause the one I had was meant for older American vehicles, but I did test the number of cylinders running by unplugging the spark plug wires and seeing any that didn't make a difference and sure enough it isn't running on all cylinders, and I replaced the spark plugs so it isn't that. I think I might have an out valve or I've also heard something about idle switches?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
nedford

2000 SL

I don't have a code tester though, wish I had one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

The parts store does!

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
nedford

2000 SL

I went to the store for the free ses codes test and it was said to have high idling ( previous pcv valve issues), and it had misfires, and when I did my own compression test it failed on cylinders 3 and 4, though I know that car couldn't run on only 2 cylinders, then later I noticed the positive terminal to my battery was loose cause it had issues starting, when I tightened it the service engine light went off, and no more oil out the exhaust and it runs way way better..., wtf?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #10
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Loose Battery connections wont fix oil consumption problems, What were the numbers when you performed the compression test?

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:42 AM   #11
nedford

2000 SL
Dazed Re: 2000 saturn sl oil and idle issues

Sorry for the long reply, I finally finished work on the problem. Cylinders 3 and 4 weren't getting full compression because I had burnt and warped exhaust valves over them. After replacing them the car runs fine with no starting issues except it still will occasionally run at an incredibly high idle when the clutch is disengaged and send oil through the exhaust. And this I can tell you now is not because of any lack of compression, though because of the high idle I wouldn't be surprised if that caused the exhaust valves burning out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #12
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Glad you found (and corrected) the major issues.

The high idle is often either the ECTS, or the TPS. If you get the high idle and it changes if you turn the car off and then restart it right away, often the TPS. If it's the ECTS that is usually a more consistent high idle problem.

If it's ALL the time, vacuum leaks are another possible issue.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedford View Post
Sorry for the long reply, I finally finished work on the problem. Cylinders 3 and 4 weren't getting full compression because I had burnt and warped exhaust valves over them. After replacing them the car runs fine with no starting issues except it still will occasionally run at an incredibly high idle when the clutch is disengaged and send oil through the exhaust. And this I can tell you now is not because of any lack of compression, though because of the high idle I wouldn't be surprised if that caused the exhaust valves burning out.
Also high idle on your car could be caused by a failed intake manifold gasket by the cylinder 1 intake runner, To verify if this is the problem you will need a can of carb cleaner and spray just below the power steering pump where the intake manifold meets the cylinderhead, If idle changes or the engine stumbles the gasket is leaking and needs to be replaced.

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!