SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
littlenoz
littlenoz is on a distinguished road

Default P0752 shift solenoid

My wife's 08 Saturn outlook engine light came on today.I scanned it and its giving me a P0752 code shift solenoid stuck. Does anybody know where this solenoid is? Any diagrams or pics? Is this something I can fix in the garage? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to littlenoz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help littlenoz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
littlenoz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2
Default Re: P0752 shift solenoid

yes this solinoid is part of the tcm(transmission conterol module) this can be 1 of 2 things...the 1st is the infamious 3-5-r wave plate failure..pm me your vin and i can see if you are still under powertrain warr... if out you could ask gm for assitance with this repair.. the other option we have seen is that the trans fliud pressure switch bellows seperates from the tcm body and no longer switches states to tell the tcm if a valve has moved in the control valve body...usualy shows up between 70-90k...the repair for the tcm is to replace and reprogram the tcm&solinod control assy.. about 4 hrs labor and im not shure of what overcounter price is cuz i work for a dealer and only pay peer to peer priceing...the wave plate is a very expensive repair..given the option if it were my own car i would ask gm for assitance and go with the serta and a 50/50 split of the repair cost as the new unit will have minamum a 3yr 50k warr on it.....if when you run the car and after 3-5 min of running you hear a semi loud buzzing noise from the drivers ft wheel under the car it's the plate failure, the noise is caused by the filter being plugged up and cavitating the pump. it can be confirmed by draining some out of the drain plug while running and if you get grey fluid put a fork in it your done... if the fluid is deark red/black with a samll amount of glitter it's probably the tfp bellows..ask for assitance anyway... see the redline chain strech thread for info on good will asstance....if a solinoid is stuck off in these trannys it is to prevent further internal damage..hth...sorry to be the bearer of bad news..

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
rangejeep
rangejeep is on a distinguished road

I'm new to Saturnalia and my wife's 2008 Outlook 100k miles has the same code: P0752. I cleared the code and drives fine; code has not shown again. There are no noises or rattles. Do I need to get this checked out or is this a false error? Also am I causing more harm by clearing the code and driving? 3 weeks ago the P0700 code came up and after clearing no issues.

Guys I need some help here because I'm halfway tempted to trade it and cut my losses. I called the stealership and no warranty. I'll take any help!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rangejeep's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rangejeep reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rangejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 will become famous soon enoughgm7 will become famous soon enough

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangejeep View Post
I'm new to Saturnalia and my wife's 2008 Outlook 100k miles has the same code: P0752. I cleared the code and drives fine; code has not shown again. There are no noises or rattles. Do I need to get this checked out or is this a false error? Also am I causing more harm by clearing the code and driving? 3 weeks ago the P0700 code came up and after clearing no issues.

Guys I need some help here because I'm halfway tempted to trade it and cut my losses. I called the stealership and no warranty. I'll take any help!!!
You basically need to heed satellite's advice above. Take a fluid sample and see if you have Al shavings in your fluid....telltale that the wave washer is failing.
While I understand why you may considering trading the vehicle, generally trading the car for this issue is a false economy even if you have to drop $2K for a 50/50 reman tranny replacement. Reason is you get an effectively new trans good for 100K more miles or so and a 3 yr warranty. Trading for a new vehicle comparatively is much bigger dollars. But if you feel its time to get a new vehicle, now maybe a good time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
rangejeep
rangejeep is on a distinguished road

Ok issue has started returning and will check fluid for shavings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rangejeep's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rangejeep reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rangejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #6
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

rangejeep pm me your vin

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
quicksprt98
quicksprt98 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: P0752 shift solenoid

Same exact problem here all! Wife's car with 77,500 on it started acting up a couple weeks ago. Took it in to the trans shop and they pulled codes P0752 and P0989. Told me the control solenoids needed replaced to the tune of a $1,550 bill. I am considering a complete trans replacement (found a reman. for $1,700), however I have also found the Solenoids on rock auto for $475 and have been contemplating replacing this part if it is possible myself. I am pretty handy and know alot of handy fellows as well. I have reached out to my local GM dealer as they have been of great help in the past with timing chain and water pump replacements at no cost to us. They however were no help this go round offering zero assistance. Any advice with this situation would be greatly appreciated, we love this car even though it has really been nothing but problems since we bought it. We have been considering the trade route also, just don't wanna pass the buck on to another poor soul.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quicksprt98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quicksprt98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quicksprt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #8
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksprt98 View Post
Same exact problem here all! Wife's car with 77,500 on it started acting up a couple weeks ago. Took it in to the trans shop and they pulled codes P0752 and P0989. Told me the control solenoids needed replaced to the tune of a $1,550 bill. I am considering a complete trans replacement (found a reman. for $1,700), however I have also found the Solenoids on rock auto for $475 and have been contemplating replacing this part if it is possible myself. I am pretty handy and know alot of handy fellows as well. I have reached out to my local GM dealer as they have been of great help in the past with timing chain and water pump replacements at no cost to us. They however were no help this go round offering zero assistance. Any advice with this situation would be greatly appreciated, we love this car even though it has really been nothing but problems since we bought it. We have been considering the trade route also, just don't wanna pass the buck on to another poor soul.
You can't negotiate a 50/50 for a reman with GM customer service? Have you run it up the chain of command at the dealer? I sure wouldn't just change the solenoids without replacing the 3-5-R wave plate...so a reman trans would be your best option I believe.
Where did you find a reman trans for $1700? I presume they will charge $1000 of labor for installation. Any quote out the door for the reman at the trans shop?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
quicksprt98

Found the reman. of all places on rockauto.com and that was with the 250 core added. So, I have not looked into installation labor yet. Does anyone have a contact direct at GM corp I could get ahold of on this? I have contacted the dealer and my service advisor spoke with the Service manager and he told her that they are gonna do nothing since we are 18mo. out of the 5yr 100,000mile. It's just crap because we have less than 80,000 on the dinger! I am pretty much between a rock and a hard place, my local guy that does good work is telling me to take it to the tranny shop because he doesn't mess with them. At this point I don't blame him one bit! I can't believe that these problems are so prevalent and GM is doing nothing to appease this situation! It boggles my mind that in 2014 I have to worry about a bum transmission in a 2007 model year car! I own three GM vehicles and I am thinking they will be loosing all future business from a 32 year old guy! Lots of car sales they are gonna be missing out on! Jeez! But anyways, any help on the GM direct contact front would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

Last edited by quicksprt98; 03-20-2014 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Adding info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help quicksprt98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksprt98 View Post
Found the reman. of all places on rockauto.com and that was with the 250 core added. So, I have not looked into installation labor yet. Does anyone have a contact direct at GM corp I could get ahold of on this? I have contacted the dealer and my service advisor spoke with the Service manager and he told her that they are gonna do nothing since we are 18mo. out of the 5yr 100,000mile. It's just crap because we have less than 80,000 on the dinger! I am pretty much between a rock and a hard place, my local guy that does good work is telling me to take it to the tranny shop because he doesn't mess with them. At this point I don't blame him one bit! I can't believe that these problems are so prevalent and GM is doing nothing to appease this situation! It boggles my mind that in 2014 I have to worry about a bum transmission in a 2007 model year car! I own three GM vehicles and I am thinking they will be loosing all future business from a 32 year old guy! Lots of car sales they are gonna be missing out on! Jeez! But anyways, any help on the GM direct contact front would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!
Send an email to the following:

http://www.gm.com/content/gmcom/home...omer%20service

Make sure you have your ducks in a row prior to sending the email. How you have been faithful to the brand, always have service done at the dealer etc.

To be clear, your codes could also be a pre cursor to the wave plate failure.
Many believe that contamination from adjacent housing is what contaminates the sensors throwing the codes for the solenoids.

Come back and let us know what their response is. At 72K miles, they should do something for you. GM charges about $4K to install a reman trans with warranty and some poor souls have paid this full amount.

Satlite440 has a great link with pictures showing the difficulty of changing a trans on one of these cars. Its a huge job. I am a capable home mechanic and have pulled engines in different cars and would not attempt it at home...that big a job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 03-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
quicksprt98

Have had it in to my local GM Dealer and they are telling me it is a valve assembly that is bad, apparently a completely different $600+ part that has gone bad. They won't have to drop the trans and it can be accessed through the side plate, saving about $700 in labor. They quoted me a price of $1170 to fix it at $80 an hour labor. I am waiting on the actual scanned copy of the estimate with the parts list. I will post it when I get it. I am thinking I want them to also replace the Solenoids while they have it open. Does anyone else agree?? They are saying that the fluid being dirty makes them stick and all they need is fresh fluid and they will be all good. Do I trust them?? I also had them pull the previous service record and our car has had the 3-5-r wave plate replaced at 27,XXX miles. Which I guess is good if they put in the upgraded part that will not explode again. Thanks again guys, you all are great!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
quicksprt98

Attached is the estimate to fix the Trans on the Outlook. Let me know what you all think. My wife seems dead set on trading it and I am beginning to agree with her. It took entirely to long to get them to even get me this quote, not 100% sure it is even the whole problem with it. A different dealer is offering us 10K for it as it sits. Seem like a decent deal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00009.jpg (141.0 KB, 51 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
mpiersd
mpiersd is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
.....if when you run the car and after 3-5 min of running you hear a semi loud buzzing noise from the drivers ft wheel under the car ...
My wifes 2007 Outlook XR has done then almost since new, currently has 103,000 miles on it. The noise seems related to teh steering though as you can change the pitch/volume of the noise by turning the steering wheel, and the noise is not affected by vehicle speed above 20 MPH.

Outlook XR FWD
Silver Pearl, Black Leather
Trailering
7 passenger
Heated seats
Convenience

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mpiersd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mpiersd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
rosemont
rosemont is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
yes this solinoid is part of the tcm(transmission conterol module) this can be 1 of 2 things...the 1st is the infamious 3-5-r wave plate failure..pm me your vin and i can see if you are still under powertrain warr... if out you could ask gm for assitance with this repair.. the other option we have seen is that the trans fliud pressure switch bellows seperates from the tcm body and no longer switches states to tell the tcm if a valve has moved in the control valve body...usualy shows up between 70-90k...the repair for the tcm is to replace and reprogram the tcm&solinod control assy.. about 4 hrs labor and im not shure of what overcounter price is cuz i work for a dealer and only pay peer to peer priceing...the wave plate is a very expensive repair..given the option if it were my own car i would ask gm for assitance and go with the serta and a 50/50 split of the repair cost as the new unit will have minamum a 3yr 50k warr on it.....if when you run the car and after 3-5 min of running you hear a semi loud buzzing noise from the drivers ft wheel under the car it's the plate failure, the noise is caused by the filter being plugged up and cavitating the pump. it can be confirmed by draining some out of the drain plug while running and if you get grey fluid put a fork in it your done... if the fluid is deark red/black with a samll amount of glitter it's probably the tfp bellows..ask for assitance anyway... see the redline chain strech thread for info on good will asstance....if a solinoid is stuck off in these trannys it is to prevent further internal damage..hth...sorry to be the bearer of bad news..
Had a 3-5-r replaced 4 years ago. The CEL comes on and off by itself lately. Last night I got an old scanner and read codes P0700 and P0752. Do you think it's the 3-5-r failing again? I believe I felt the car rattling. Thank you.

Forgot to mention, 2008 VUE XR FWD 3.6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rosemont's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rosemont reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rosemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #15
Kartboarder22G
Kartboarder22G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemont View Post
Had a 3-5-r replaced 4 years ago. The CEL comes on and off by itself lately. Last night I got an old scanner and read codes P0700 and P0752. Do you think it's the 3-5-r failing again? I believe I felt the car rattling. Thank you.

Forgot to mention, 2008 VUE XR FWD 3.6
Obviously know this is an old post, but if you could answer back that would be great, what was the outcome here for the repair?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kartboarder22G's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kartboarder22G reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kartboarder22G is offline   Reply With Quote