SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
nibur1
nibur1 is on a distinguished road

Default key gets stuck sometimes, ignition lock just replaced

<sigh> at my wits end. i know that bad ignition locks are common on saturn ions. i just had mine replaced in early january and it locked again today. any idea if it is definitely the ignition lock or if it could be something else?

i took it to a local shop, but wondering if i need to take it to the dealer? the cadillac dealer still fixes saturns, but i can't imagine how much it will cost.

i'm afraid if i replace the lock switch again it will still do it again.

suggestions are greatly welcome! thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nibur1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nibur1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nibur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

Default Re: key gets stuck sometimes, ignition lock just replaced

here is my post from a few years back......

"If your key is stuck in the run position and you cant turn the car off...you need a new lock cylinder. The small tumbler bar has come loose on the cylinder causing it to freeze in the housing. A small drip of super glue needs to be added to the corners of the tumbler bar on the new cylinder to keep it from coming loose again. If I had pictures it would be easier to understand.

Now if your key gets stuck in the acc position sometimes, and you have to wait a sec or two before it releases. 99% of the time it is the BTSI solinoid on the shifter assembly. The switch sticks sometimes. It needs to be replaced This is not the same solinoid at the cylinder that you access through the little door."

UPDATE. GM has recently re-designed the ION ignition cylinder eliminating the design flaw of the tumbler bar coming loose.

***Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ. Specializing in Saturn repairs.

94 SW2- custom intake and ported throttle body
2003 Saturn Vue 3.0 v6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Obama420
Obama420 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: key gets stuck sometimes, ignition lock just replaced

<sigh> at my wits end. i know that bad ignition locks are common on saturn ions. i just had mine replaced in early january and it locked again today. any idea if it is definitely the ignition lock or if it could be something else?

watson

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Obama420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Obama420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Obama420 is offline   Reply With Quote