SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
durwood7987
durwood7987 is on a distinguished road

Default White smoke coming from tailpipe. Need diagnostic help.

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Either way, my car is a 96' Saturn SL1, 1.9 liter, with 114k miles.

A few days ago, both my service engine and low coolant lights came on. I thought nothing of it except that I needed to top off the coolant. So I went and bought coolant and poured it in. The next morning the coolant tank was completely empty. I figured there is a leak and decided to pour more coolant in for the time being. Later that day, I started the car to drive it a few miles and noticed the service engine light was still on but not the low coolant light. I opened the coolant tank to have a look, and found "sludge", essentially a very wet mud consistency. I have since learned of the bad idea that mixing orange and green coolant is. So, I went to drive it to a local mechanic's shop and now there is a lot of white smoke pouring out of the tail pipe, both on start up and when accelerating. After reading many threads on this site, I decided to check the spark plugs (which are only 2 months old) for oil and found some on the far right one when looking directly at the engine. I believe this is plug #4. It's closest to the driver side. I also recently had to have my valve gasket cover changed, and have driven from Michigan to South Carolina and back since.

I am trying to sell this as I have purchased a new AWD vehicle to handle the Hoth-like winters of Michigan, and therefore am not looking to put a bunch of money into it (I put a grand worth of work into it over the summer). Given all of this, can anyone suggest where to go from here? Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to durwood7987's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help durwood7987 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
durwood7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
carfreak09
carfreak09 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Re: White smoke coming from tailpipe. Need diagnostic help.

Sounds like a classic head gasket failure. The 95-98 SOHC were particularly known for this problem. Water mixes with the oil, producing a sludge that can be seen in the reservoir and white smoke out the tailpipe. Fixing this isn't cheap so you might want to sell cheap as is.

2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS 43,500 miles - current
2013 Fiat 500 Turbo 8800 miles - my fun toy
1997 Saturn SL1 212,271 miles R.I.P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carfreak09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carfreak09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carfreak09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
durwood7987
durwood7987 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak09 View Post
Sounds like a classic head gasket failure. The 95-98 SOHC were particularly known for this problem. Water mixes with the oil, producing a sludge that can be seen in the reservoir and white smoke out the tailpipe. Fixing this isn't cheap so you might want to sell cheap as is.

Thank you for your response. I am going to see if anyone else chimes in on this too. I'm hoping that this isn't a case of a head gasket, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't expecting it to be something serious. Again, thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to durwood7987's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help durwood7987 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
durwood7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Steve44
Steve44 will become famous soon enoughSteve44 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Oh, It's your head gasket alright. You can do a couple of different things.

Sell it for next to nothing. You lose money.

Properly fix the Head gasket. You'll spend a lot of money.

Try a sealer like this: http://www.amazon.com/BlueDevil-Pour.../dp/B004500M8G

If you decide on the third choice, and still want to sell the car, please be honest with prospective buyers about the temporary fix.

Good Luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by durwood7987 View Post
. I'm hoping that this isn't a case of a head gasket,.
HOw else would water make it out your tailpipe

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote