SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Psyco redline
Psyco redline is on a distinguished road

Default Few issues...

2007 ion redline - Coolant light came on, replaced intercooler pump, works now but coolant light keeps coming on. Replaced fuel pump. That was fun. And I got the k&n cai.

Now I'm trying to find what i need to do to my suspension, S its begun to creak and pop and ride like utter ****.

So: I want to replace/upgrade everything. Poly bushings, upgraded shocks and coils, torsion bars, anti roll bars....the whole 9 yards.

Whan i try to look this up all i find is fe 1-5 nonsense.

So can anyone make me a shopping list?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Psyco redline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Psyco redline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Psyco redline is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Few issues...

why did you replace the intercooler pump? the coolant message means you're out of coolant, or at least the car thinks you are...

fe1-5 isn't nonsense, it's the suspension option code system GM uses so you can buy the suspension type you have, or desire.

fe1 is "softride" found on non redline ions. fe2 is "sportride" found on non redline ions. fe3 is the redline suspension. fe5 is the cobalt ss/tc suspension. 1-5, soft to hard, comfortable to sporty, it's as easy as it gets.

if you want to upgrade it, you might as well go all out. all suspension parts have the same pattern, thus are interchangeable. there are some years of fe5 components (a MY break) that aren't directly compatible component by component, but I believe are compatible as a complete system.

a whole rear axle assembly (includes everything in the rear in one shot, off a wrecked cobalt SS, easy as pie, will bolt right up in very few bolts). for the front, the sway bar, bushings, endlinks, control arms, struts, bushings, strut "hat"s (an ion specific part). if it has bigger brakes, the knuckles and calipers, then put new pads and rotors on it.

there's your shopping list. get it all off a wrecked cobalt and you'll be good to go, then replace all the bushings with poly for an FE5 off a site that has them separated by suspension code.

resist the urge to get a coilover setup, ions aren't built to accommodate the adjustment locations.

if you have the money, you can also buy all this new, just make sure it's all fe5.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #3
boby125
boby125 is on a distinguished road

if you want to upgrade it, you might as well go all out. all suspension parts have the same pattern, thus are interchangeable. there are some years of fe5 components (a MY break) that aren't directly compatible component by component, but I believe are compatible as a complete system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boby125's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boby125 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boby125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
goaliemo
goaliemo is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

this is all over the place if you use google.
FE5 is the best one you're going to get.
Check out Crate Engine Depot. They sell the conversion kit to work with the redline, everything you need for the suspension, one shot.
Or, if you are lucky enough to find a cobalt ss at the junk yard like above stated. Powel is also a really good delta specific company. Or zzp.

And coolant, if your tank is full, it is probably the sensor, and the tank will need to be replaced. I got a tank from a wrecked Ion at a junk yard for under 5 bucks. Yes, it was a gamble because I needed the sensor to work, but I got lucky and it did. Otherwise a new tank is gonna run yuh like 40 bucks.

I'm just a guy that enjoys my Ions.
Try Google, first. Then ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goaliemo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goaliemo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

or do like i did with the coolant sensor, and unplug the wire to the sensor, and put a wire as a jumper, and youll never get the message again just gotta keep an eye on the coolant levels.

or if you dont wanna go my route, unmount the coolant tank, and swish some soapy water in the tank and let it dry. if that doesnt work, replace the tank, bec i believe you cannot remove that sensor, and autozone will look at you funny for trying to get a new sensor. i believe the sticky in the Tech forum notes that as something you can do (that sticky has a lot of useful maintenance suggestions and info on what to do).

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

you CAN buy just the sensor. amazon has it. but you can not remove it, so I am not sure why its sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help goaliemo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

you CAN, but the tank would not be in good enough condition to put the new one lol

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

lmao, you have to practically cut the old one out.
they make duct tape for these situations though!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2014, 06:01 AM   #9
Teshawar
Teshawar is on a distinguished road

They sell the conversion kit to work with the redline, everything you need for the suspension, one shot. Or, if you are lucky enough to find a cobalt ss at the junk yard like above stated. Powel is also a really good delta specific company. Or zzp.

Fasi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teshawar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teshawar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teshawar is offline   Reply With Quote