SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
captainmorgannc
captainmorgannc is on a distinguished road

2009 SKY
Default Water pump issues!!!!

I know that this has been talked about a lot on here, but I could not find the answer.

My wife's water pump went out the other day so I went to the store to get a new one and the special tool. I followed the directions very carefully, but still got the dreaded whine after replacement.

I looked it up here and found out that I needed to change out the timing chain tensioner. Went to the store and got an new tensioner installed it activated it and still have the whine.

What do I do now? I was very cautious with using the tool so I am surprised anything went wrong in the first place. Could they have given me the wrong tool and it was close enough that I did not notice?

Anyone have suggestions on what to do?

Thank you in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captainmorgannc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captainmorgannc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captainmorgannc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Water pump issues!!!!

Welcome to SaturnFans! What year and engine size is in your Sky roadster? Please update your profile through the User CP> Edit Your Details> scroll down and fill in Primary Saturn Model Year and Primary Saturn Model Type. This would be helpful to other members in the forum. I may have a useful response for you, but with inadequate basic information it would be pointless to share it here.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 10-16-2014 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: added information

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
captainmorgannc

2009 SKY

Thank you! I have updated with my model and year. It does not put in the engine size (2.4L). Guess it is because you don't have an option with a sky. You get a base sky with a 2.4 or a redline with a 2.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help captainmorgannc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgannc View Post
Thank you! I have updated with my model and year. It does not put in the engine size (2.4L). Guess it is because you don't have an option with a sky. You get a base sky with a 2.4 or a redline with a 2.0L
So is your engine the 2.4L?

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
captainmorgannc

2009 SKY

Yes, it is a 2.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There is a service bulletin describing belt noise from possible misalignment but no mention of replacing the timing chain tensioner. Do you mean the drive belt tensioner? The bulletin describes using a GM Kent Moore laser tool to help with belt alignment by adjusting the power steering pulley.......

What is the 'special tool' you mentioned in your post and how is it used, for what purpose?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
captainmorgannc

2009 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
There is a service bulletin describing belt noise from possible misalignment but no mention of replacing the timing chain tensioner. Do you mean the drive belt tensioner? The bulletin describes using a GM Kent Moore laser tool to help with belt alignment by adjusting the power steering pulley.......

What is the 'special tool' you mentioned in your post and how is it used, for what purpose?
Thank you for the service bulletin. I think I might remove the belt and run it to see if it is still making that noise. On the Saturn Sky the water pump is run off of the timing chain. To remove the water pump you have to have a special tool that holds the timing chain sprocket for the water pump. If you do not have the tool the the timing chain will move.

To remove the water pump you remove an access off of the front of the engine to get to the timing chain sprocket for the water pump. You install the tool to hold the sprocket. Then you take the bolts out that hold the water pump to the sprocket (you are changing what is holding the sprocket in place). Then you switch out the water pump. When the new water pump is in place you bolt it back to the timing sprocket and then remove the tool. During this process sometimes the timing chain can move causing the timing chain tensioner to try to pick up the slack. If that happens when you put everything together the timing chain will be too tight. The only way to change that is to reset the timing chain tensioner.

I thought that was my problem, but when I reset the tension on the chain it still makes that sound. I wonder if the water pump is just noisy and needs to be replace (it is new)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you for identifying the engine. Does it have a balance shaft chain and is the water pump offset away from the engine block?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
captainmorgannc

2009 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Thank you for identifying the engine. Does it have a balance shaft chain and is the water pump offset away from the engine block?
The water pump is offset from the engine block. I do not know if the engine has a balance shaft chain. It looks like it might from the images I see online, but you can not see it from the small front access for the water pump.

Do you think that the water pump is not run off the timing chain, but off of the balance shaft chain?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The L200 4-cyl engine use a similar chain driven water pump. If I'm not mistaken, the balance shaft chain, separate from the timing chain, drives the water pump and needs a tool to hold the chain in position when replacing the pump.

I don't think your new pump is making noise. Water pumps are water pumps, two bearings to hold the pump impeller and usually designed for long life without ever squeaking or squealing when they wear out. Sealed bearings letting go simply get bathed in coolant so leaking coolant announces its demise long before water pump noise begins.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

If the water pump replacement tool is not properly torqued in place to hold the water pump drive sprocket (driven by the balance shaft chain not the timing chain) the balance shaft chain tensioner will extend. When it does this you will get the noise.

If this happens then you will need to remove the timing chain cover to access the balance shaft chain tensioner so that it can be removed and retracted, reinstalled along with making sure that the balance shaft timing is good. The timing should not have changed by the tensioner extending but it may have when the tensioner has been removed.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #12
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgannc View Post
The water pump is offset from the engine block. I do not know if the engine has a balance shaft chain. It looks like it might from the images I see online, but you can not see it from the small front access for the water pump.

Do you think that the water pump is not run off the timing chain, but off of the balance shaft chain?

Thanks!
Okay, yes, the water pump is driven by the balance shaft chain and not the timing chain as both fdryer and ssicarman have stated. So here's the thread I planned to link from the L Series Forums regarding this noise issue. ssicarman is correct about how to correct this whining sound.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ter+pump+whine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!