SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
Tenzinkat
Tenzinkat is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Sad 1997 Sw2 Dohc

Hey guys I need some help.
I have always wanted a Sw2 for as long as i can remember.
My oppurtunity came when one crossed my path for 800$
She ran great just needed a few sensors replaced and at 260k miles it still rode like a dream.
Unfortunately the other day i checked my oil after 2 weeks of owning it was down two quarts and realized the chattering noise coming from the front of the engine near the timing chain but right under the valve cover(added oil and a quart of lucas but its still there). it sounds pretty rough on start up but gets better as i take off. i have heard different things from timing chain loose to a tensioner/ worn motor mount. the sound would be best described as and old diesel car just chattering away. it still drives great no power loss just that chattering and its getting me concerned.
I was wondering if anybody has had this problem and have found a solution to it.
Thanks in advance
Tenzinkat

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tenzinkat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tenzinkat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tenzinkat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2014, 04:40 AM   #2
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1
Default Re: 1997 Sw2 Dohc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzinkat View Post
Hey guys I need some help.
I have always wanted a Sw2 for as long as i can remember.
My oppurtunity came when one crossed my path for 800$
She ran great just needed a few sensors replaced and at 260k miles it still rode like a dream.
Unfortunately the other day i checked my oil after 2 weeks of owning it was down two quarts and realized the chattering noise coming from the front of the engine near the timing chain but right under the valve cover(added oil and a quart of lucas but its still there). it sounds pretty rough on start up but gets better as i take off. i have heard different things from timing chain loose to a tensioner/ worn motor mount. the sound would be best described as and old diesel car just chattering away. it still drives great no power loss just that chattering and its getting me concerned.
I was wondering if anybody has had this problem and have found a solution to it.
Thanks in advance
Tenzinkat

Two quarts down is low, It could be excessive wear on the timing chain and guides from lack of oil, If possible could you take a video of the engine noise and post it here for us to hear?

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Tenzinkat

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
Two quarts down is low, It could be excessive wear on the timing chain and guides from lack of oil, If possible could you take a video of the engine noise and post it here for us to hear?
I was going to post a video with the sound but I took it to my shop and took the valve cover off and I found the problem the timing chain guides have worn out / destroyed all the plastic was either broken and sitting above the valves and the metal piece got lodged in the case. Good news it's still in time so this week I will be doing a timing chain job! Oh also cylinders are ok the chain ground the metal into fine pieces so the oil filter caught almost all of that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tenzinkat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
2 quarts low is HALF of your oil missing. I'd pop the valve cover and check for damage.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

That is pretty much the issue I had with mine recently that I posted.

Ended up the main bearings were trashed. I rolled a new set of mains and rod bearings in after polishing the crankshaft with 1500 grit sand paper and then flushing oil passages in the crankshaft

Good Luck
Highmile
'95 SL1 554k and counting

Highmile
95 sl1 496k (rebuilt engine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
Tenzinkat

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
2 quarts low is HALF of your oil missing. I'd pop the valve cover and check for damage.
I did pop the valve cover! The top timing chain guide had shredded apart an the timing chain was starting to eat into the valve cover. An yea the two quarts of missing oil I didn't notice because when I first bought the car the oil level was right! Less than three weeks later two quarts were missing! Come to find out some of the metal debris ate the front seal up! So I have my new complete timing set in. I will be doing the timing chain this Thursday!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2014, 04:51 AM   #7
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzinkat View Post
I did pop the valve cover! The top timing chain guide had shredded apart an the timing chain was starting to eat into the valve cover. An yea the two quarts of missing oil I didn't notice because when I first bought the car the oil level was right! Less than three weeks later two quarts were missing! Come to find out some of the metal debris ate the front seal up! So I have my new complete timing set in. I will be doing the timing chain this Thursday!

With the amount of oil its using chances are it was run low at one point causing the wear on the timing set, A piston soak could help with the problem however dont expect a miracle, It really all depends on the condition of the rings PRIOR to the soak.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

My car had timing chain rattle when I bought it, so timing chain was the first thing I did on mine as well.

That was 5 years, 68k ago. The key to longevity, if nothing was already damaged, is to check your oil frequently and keep it full. I put in about 6~9 oz a week.... I overfill slightly each Saturday - to about the "U" in the word FULL - and by next Saturday, it's down a few oz below the very top line.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote