SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
PhilnLaura
PhilnLaura is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Question 2005 VUE with 135,000 miles is using oil

We have had our '05 VUE since buying it off the lot new & have babied it very well. Recently, we've noticed that the oil was almost all gone & had to dump another 4 qts. into the engine. It's never been smelling like its burning oil, nor have we seen any blue smoke out the back, & we're not seeing any leaks or drips. It's as if the oil is vanishing. We were told that it's burning oil & we should go to a synthetic blend oil to see if it helps. We've always used petroleum based oil & we were wondering if there is a more serious problem or if it is something we can correct with a different oil blend.

Phil & Laura Leslie
philnlaura@philnlaura.us
http://www.philnlaura.us

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PhilnLaura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PhilnLaura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PhilnLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
scooter500
scooter500 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2005 VUE with 135,000 miles is using oil

4 quarts low? That's serious -- Best to go see the mechanic.

2004 2.2 fwd Saturn Vue in Electric Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scooter500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scooter500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scooter500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
ProDriver77
ProDriver77 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

At 135,000 miles, some oil consumption would be considered normal. I have an '04 with 101,000 and it uses about 1-2 quarts between oil changes depending on how it's being driven and the weather conditions.

Have been you been checking the oil frequently? (This should be checked every time you refuel the vehicle, along with checking other fluids under the hood).

If it's lost 4 quarts and you've been changing the oil regularly, then by all means see a mechanic. Otherwise, it sounds like regular maintenance has been neglected.

As for switching to synthetic oil: At that mileage, I'd stick with conventional oil or maybe switch to a High Mileage synthetic blend. I've seen issues with people switching to full-syn and having their oil consumption issues get worse.

Long story short: Some Saturns tend to use some oil. It's been that way since the original S-Series cars. As long as there are no other mechanical issues, just mind your oil level and she should easily last another 100,000 miles. (My original '93 SL2 went to 199,183 miles when I finally traded it in, and was still running like a champ - albeit a quart of oil every 500-1000 miles at that point.)

SAFETY IN A NUTSHELL: Safety Gear, 2 minutes. Risk Assessment, 5 minutes. A mishap that takes a life: FOREVER!

DRIVE FOCUSED + DRIVE SMART = GET HOME SAFELY!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDriver77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDriver77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ProDriver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
emsvitil
Advanced Member
emsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L

Since you have the 2.2 ecotec.........

If I remember correctly the PVC system gets clogged up.......

Search this forum (or ask):

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/index.php

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emsvitil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emsvitil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emsvitil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
Since you have the 2.2 ecotec.........

If I remember correctly the PVC system gets clogged up.......

Search this forum (or ask):

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/index.php
Interesting results from there:
One guy had the same problem so got a suggestion:
Could run a quart of Trans fluid for a few miles (20 miles) and change the oil, see if that cleans her up if that didnt do it.
So he tried it and said that no more issues after that.
I suppose this is the same idea as adding those oil flush additives you can buy at the automotive store.

another suggestion was:
pull the intake manifold and clean out a small port hole on the intake manifold for crank case ventilation. Its between the #2 and #3 intake ports.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Don't know your interval that you were changing oil. If with the oil change light then rings would most likely have be on the way out or stuck. The rings seem to stick if oil is left in for long periods of time and conventional is used. I have 104k on my 06 and don't know the history since I bought it used with 85k on it and I suspect mine was or is a very dirty engine since liquid slush when I changed it the first time. (Tried to get dealer to warrantee and no calls were answered nor would manager talk to me). I just change oil regularly at 6 month and or 3k with what ever is on sale. Have run synthetic, blend and conventional oil does not matter but what does matter is how often. Have cleaned many engines like this as I would not use anything to clean one do to it could stop up oil screen. What I would do in this circumstance is change oil and run it for 1k and check oil level then you have an idea what is going on. Never know it but regular oil changes could slow down usage or stop it all together. Worth a shot.

I only put 6k average a year so I have put this few of miles in little over 3 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger862's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger862 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
surfstar
surfstar will become famous soon enough

Usually an oil light will come on when ~1 qt low. 4qts is crazy - sure it isn't overfilled now?

I would just continue with normal oil changes, maybe switch to a high mileage oil (Valvoline's Maxlife is a synthetic blend).

But, most importantly CHECK YOUR OIL MORE OFTEN!

Start checking oil level weekly and consistently - parked in the same spot, cold or a few mins after turning the engine off - either way, be consistent in order to notice true oil level dropping. Add as needed.

2005 Dragonfly Green 2.2L MTX Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surfstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surfstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Mine burns some oil at 230,000 miles. Bought it new and have done regular changes at the OLM notification since new, with Dino oil. I have never strayed on it and I've always done my own oil changes so know that its been done... I don't see oil burning (smoke), don't smell it, but it still is at least 1-2 qts low at 5000 mile intervals with no low oil warning light; ever. I know its low when it sounds like a "tingling" noise similar to a ping when taking off from a light. I suspect this is the timing chain not getting enough oil but that's purely a guess...

I haven't looked into the PVC issues noted earlier... maybe its time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

This is not typical of the 2.2l engine. Ditto on checkling the PCV system.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I wanna say the 2.2 doesn't have a PCV system- at least not a valve like most others.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Newer engines still have a PVC system, but don't use a typical user replaceable PCV valve like older cars.

It has pathways and an orifice that can get plugged.

Maybe F2G can post some pdf's?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
Deltaphi216
Deltaphi216 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

I am bumping this back up. the 04 2.2L manual tranny that I bought about a month ago is drinking SERIOUS oil. As in more than a quart a week! No blue smoke, no visible leaks (apart from a tranny leak on the driverside axle seal), and the oil is mysteriously vanishing.

I've read a bunch of posts on here about this, seems a common issue with higher miles.

my problem is that I have no clue what the previous maintenance was on the car. I'm pretty sure it needs a new timing chain soon because it sounds like a tank when you start it up. but then that noise goes away.

Where do I start with my diagnosis?

-2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5speed - on engine #2 - damn timing chains!
-2006 Nissan Xterra S - Ordering parts for a Titan swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deltaphi216's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deltaphi216 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deltaphi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #13
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilnLaura View Post
We have had our '05 VUE since buying it off the lot new & have babied it very well. Recently, we've noticed that the oil was almost all gone & had to dump another 4 qts. into the engine. It's never been smelling like its burning oil, nor have we seen any blue smoke out the back, & we're not seeing any leaks or drips. It's as if the oil is vanishing. We were told that it's burning oil & we should go to a synthetic blend oil to see if it helps. We've always used petroleum based oil & we were wondering if there is a more serious problem or if it is something we can correct with a different oil blend.
A couple of oil changes ago, the dealer put synthetic oil instead of regular oil and I noticed a drop in the oil level after about a month or two. Now I always insist on conventional motor oil. No issues!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Fact: most engines burn a little oil. It's normal.

And philnlaura's VUe is long gone.... well the post is over year old

My Vue loses a quart in 2000 miles. I add about a cup every 2 gas fillups- but check every fillup.

I use Amsoil/ MObil1 5-30w, exclusively .

To find the engine down 4 quarts well that's a big bummer/life lesson and no wonder engine uses lots of oil. The rings are probably coked up and valve train on it's last legs.

Years ago, we had service stations that would check the oil, but the car manf's succeeded in dumbing most of us down as those services went by the wayside.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaphi216 View Post
my problem is that I have no clue what the previous maintenance was on the car. I'm pretty sure it needs a new timing chain soon because it sounds like a tank when you start it up. but then that noise goes away.

Diagnosis is done.

Park it and tear it down to do the TC/waterpump and engine troubleshoot cleanup if you have the skills, or start fishing for a good mech to do the work and guarantee it at least 6 mos/preferably a year.

As for the oil loss, well, if it's not on the driveway, then it's burning it.

I don't know if SEAFOAM or BG whatever will free up the rings or the MMO soaks and other ring cleaning methods mentioned in the olderr SATURN THreads regarding oil drainback holes( lack of) leading to oil burning... It might help, but...

I doubt it, so that would entail pulling pistons out of the block to rering while the head is off.

Usually, oil loss is gauged by amount lost per miles driven - quart a week tells you/us nothing.

'17 Suby Forester

Last edited by billysvue; 10-08-2014 at 11:13 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #16
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Similar issue with mine. I do conventional oil changes every 3-3.5K in my 05 2.2 MT with about 110k miles. I only use Valvoline 5w-30. I've tried synthetic Valvoline and saw no improvement or worsening.

I've very routine on maintenance and never miss. Last time I changed the oil, I always pull the dipstick before I pull the drain plug and there was no oil on the stick. I drained the oil and only had about 3 quarts come out. Changed the oil and filter with the same Valvoline 5W-30 and a new filter.

I'm keeping an eye on this from here forward.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #17
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdough View Post
but it still is at least 1-2 qts low at 5000 mile intervals .

SOunds like you've made a habit of this bad practice. And you say you change your own oil.

Too complicated to look @ a dipstick, I guess.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
Deltaphi216
Deltaphi216 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
Diagnosis is done.

Park it and tear it down to do the TC/waterpump and engine troubleshoot cleanup if you have the skills, or start fishing for a good mech to do the work and guarantee it at least 6 mos/preferably a year.

As for the oil loss, well, if it's not on the driveway, then it's burning it.

I don't know if SEAFOAM or BG whatever will free up the rings or the MMO soaks and other ring cleaning methods mentioned in the olderr SATURN THreads regarding oil drainback holes( lack of) leading to oil burning... It might help, but...

I doubt it, so that would entail pulling pistons out of the block to rering while the head is off.

Usually, oil loss is gauged by amount lost per miles driven - quart a week tells you/us nothing.
yeah, I have a feeling that's what's going to happen. I have some mechanical skills, but I feel this one might be best left to my mechanic. Adding a lift to my suspension? no problemo! engine work like that? nope!

and sorry about the lack of info. I'm putting about 300 miles per week on it. A quart a week is a TON for that amount. Especially since 85% of that is highway travel.

Thanks for the info Billy!

-2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5speed - on engine #2 - damn timing chains!
-2006 Nissan Xterra S - Ordering parts for a Titan swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deltaphi216's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deltaphi216 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deltaphi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaphi216 View Post
Probably too late but here's FSM extract listing possibilities for 2.2 oil consumption.

Repost or send PM if you'd like FSM procedures for 2.2 compression test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen_2014-10-10 13.34.48.jpg (76.3 KB, 37 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote