SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
brittiny88
brittiny88 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
Default new ignition now it wont stay running

I have a 2002 sl and just got a new ignition for it. A couple months ago it started becoming difficult to turn the key over. After a while it started getting very hard to turn so I stopped turning it the whole way off and only turned it til the engine shut off. Last week it got turned the whole way and I ended up breaking the key off in it. We managed to get it to turn over but it didn't last long. My fiance thought he'd rig it for the time being but that didn't work out too well and now I had to get a new key plus ignition switch assembly thing. I suggested replacing the key first since reading all the posts about worn keys but was ignored. I told them about the anti theft system and how they might of tripped it cuz they burnt all three big green 30 amp fuses and when they attempt to start it it fires up then stops and won't turn over. They dumped fuel into some hose and it fired right up then shut off once it burned the fuel. So any suggestions or tips on trying something would be greatly appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brittiny88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brittiny88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brittiny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: new ignition now it wont stay running

Welcome to the world of factory theft deterrent systems. GM started adapting Passlock since 2000 to Saturns. When activated with the security light flashing quickly while starting, the injectors are disabled to prevent the engine from running. The ignition switch and lock cylinder rotating is detected by Passlock sensors while reading a resistor in the ignition switch to allow engine running. A new ign switch requires a Passlock relearn procedure, posted here many times. Replacing the lock cylinder and ign switch is just a straight forward routine but the relearn procedure is required to 'marry' the replacement ign switch with a different resistor for Passlock to operate. Once learned, Passlock allows injectors to operate. If the Passlock sensors surrounding the ignition lock cylinder isn't damaged (a three-wire assembly), replacing parts should be difficult. Relearn takes 30 minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote