SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
takkun_2000
takkun_2000 has a spectacular aura abouttakkun_2000 has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
Wrench exhaust replacement opinion

Hello i have a 2000 Saturn sl1 stock and my exhaust is currently well non existent... any ways i was thinking about running catless and i want to put a megan exhaust (based on the sound i heard on a mini cooper it was just beautiful) as a replacement... i was wondering if anyone else is going catless and if you liked the sound... as well as any after market exhausts that you might prefer...

also just wondering and its unrelated but does anyone else have that beautiful pop and burble ugh it is just amazing...

thanks

(apologies if i am not doing this right this is the first forum i have ever been on)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to takkun_2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help takkun_2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
takkun_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
Default Re: exhaust replacement opinion

If you delete the cat on a Gen 3 Saturn, you will throw a check engine light and emissions code....

Consider this...
Assuming the exhaust manifold is present, and the flex pipe is gone....

Put a 4 inch flex and a Cherry Bomb 87521 glass pack, then the cat, then the exhaust pipe (with resonator), then a muffler of your choice...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
takkun_2000
takkun_2000 has a spectacular aura abouttakkun_2000 has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1

Thank you for the info... you are correct the flex pipe is gone... as for the check engine light as of now it is not on currently how ever i was on a few weeks ago right after it went to crap would you happen to know why that is???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help takkun_2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

You live in Ohio so putting on any aluminized steel (Cherry Bombs) is a bad idea. It will rust through in one winter. Purchase a stainless steel muffler and/or resonators.

Eliminating the catalytic converter triggers a p0420 trouble code. It doesn’t cause problems with the way the car runs, but it will turn on the check engine light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
takkun_2000

2000 SL1

thank you very much... for the info... i hate the salt... it ruins everything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
takkun_2000

2000 SL1

Just thought I Would Update what i decided to do. My current setup is the original manifold then i bought the walker down/flex pipe I removed the Cat and replaced it with a test pipe then the walker oem mid section and then decided to not have muffler. I understand that it is illegal to not have a muffler and not have a cat however i live in a county with no echeck so i am not sweating it also I have a 2nd exhaust that is completely kosher just in case haha. now i do plan to put a muffler on once i get some more money (poor college student) at which point i will be putting a megan racing exhaust on simalar to this http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...=1628&catid=21 currently it is quiet at low revs but turns heads when i get on it (as long as i stay below 2500 rpm i wont get pulled over) if anyone is looking to do something similar to this i must caution you that if you ever forsee yourself going on a long trip with this setup dont do it you're ears will bleed. I have travelled to and from cleaveland about 8 times with it (about 200 miles) and everytime i get there my ears are ringng like no other (which is why i built the oem exhaust). I will say this: with out the cat there is a significant power gain(98hp to 154hp) and i got this reading from my obd2 scan tool so it could be off but i can feel the difference. before you go say that oh that cant be possible you must have done something else to it no i have not the only other new part i have put in is an air filter which is just a reusable air filter nothing special. i know its not a mondo power gain but its more than i expected. so there that is what i did to replace my exhaust. oh and i welded it all together so that is why i consider it home made.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Deleting the Cat would throw a permanent check engine light, Being you live in a salt area in the winter consider a stainless exhaust it will last longer and you wont have to bother with it for years.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkun_2000 View Post
I will say this: with out the cat there is a significant power gain(98hp to 154hp) and i got this reading from my obd2 scan tool so it could be off but i can feel the difference. before you go say that oh that cant be possible you must have done something else to it no i have not the only other new part i have put in is an air filter which is just a reusable air filter nothing special. i know its not a mondo power gain but its more than i expected. so there that is what i did to replace my exhaust. oh and i welded it all together so that is why i consider it home made.
There is NO way you will pick up that much hp from a cat delete. Especially on a SL1. That is about a 40% gain. You can't even get that on a v8 with a simple exhaust change. When I had my Camaro, I gained about 30hp with headers and exhaust( duals with 2.5 pipe going into magnaflows ) You can believe what you want, but without an actual dyno sheet, it will be hard press to convince anyone of that increase.

God Bless you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkun_2000 View Post
Just thought I Would Update what i decided to do. My current setup is the original manifold then i bought the walker down/flex pipe I removed the Cat and replaced it with a test pipe then the walker oem mid section and then decided to not have muffler. I understand that it is illegal to not have a muffler and not have a cat however i live in a county with no echeck so i am not sweating it also I have a 2nd exhaust that is completely kosher just in case haha. now i do plan to put a muffler on once i get some more money (poor college student) at which point i will be putting a megan racing exhaust on simalar to this http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...=1628&catid=21 currently it is quiet at low revs but turns heads when i get on it (as long as i stay below 2500 rpm i wont get pulled over) if anyone is looking to do something similar to this i must caution you that if you ever forsee yourself going on a long trip with this setup dont do it you're ears will bleed. I have travelled to and from cleaveland about 8 times with it (about 200 miles) and everytime i get there my ears are ringng like no other (which is why i built the oem exhaust). I will say this: with out the cat there is a significant power gain(98hp to 154hp) and i got this reading from my obd2 scan tool so it could be off but i can feel the difference. before you go say that oh that cant be possible you must have done something else to it no i have not the only other new part i have put in is an air filter which is just a reusable air filter nothing special. i know its not a mondo power gain but its more than i expected. so there that is what i did to replace my exhaust. oh and i welded it all together so that is why i consider it home made.
56hp out if a cat delete?

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
cruisinkruty
cruisinkruty is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1995 SW2

The best setup is to buy a new front pipe with the flex joint,weld a Magnaflow converter to it,Bend up a 2 inch stainless pipe all the way back into the configuration of the original system,finish it off with a Baloney cut polised stainless steel tip and you are golden for many years. DO NOT UCSE A MUFFLER,you catalytic converter acts as one. It WILL pass emissionscheck in OHIO and sound GREAT too! I know as I have done this 17 times now!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cruisinkruty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cruisinkruty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinkruty View Post
The best setup is to buy a new front pipe with the flex joint,weld a Magnaflow converter to it,Bend up a 2 inch stainless pipe all the way back into the configuration of the original system,finish it off with a Baloney cut polised stainless steel tip and you are golden for many years. DO NOT UCSE A MUFFLER,you catalytic converter acts as one. It WILL pass emissionscheck in OHIO and sound GREAT too! I know as I have done this 17 times now!
Of course, if you spend any significant time on the highway, invest in some ear plugs. I guess that might sound good to the teeny boppers as you cruise up and down the boulevard, but for most folks that would be obnoxiously loud.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
takkun_2000

2000 SL1

i know that it is unlikely that i had that much of a gain and i mentioned that in my post that i wasnt using a dino i was using an obd2 sensor i was just kind of pointing out that my car now is l less slow because of removing the cat. dont worry i know my car still sucks i was just trying to give some helpful info. to anyone who was thinking about removing. I would never get my car dinoed it would be a waste of money I know i will never have any amount of power that i'd want to show off lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #13
Nicktheviperman
Advanced Member
Nicktheviperman is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

get a header obx makes one it comes with the flex pipe than do a 2 inch exhuast to a cat i got a short resnoator not a glass pack i think its around 24 inches might be 18. Than i did a 17702 thrush turbo i live in pa drive 12,000 miles a year and im on H&R springs so more salt kick up i would say and i have a touchless car wash i use whenever theres salt on the road my muffler has no rust... i also have a 3 inch slp exhuast tip. the tip was more than the muffler

hmmmmmmmmm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nicktheviperman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nicktheviperman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nicktheviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
vizion98
vizion98 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post
If you delete the cat on a Gen 3 Saturn, you will throw a check engine light and emissions code....

Consider this...
Assuming the exhaust manifold is present, and the flex pipe is gone....

Put a 4 inch flex and a Cherry Bomb 87521 glass pack, then the cat, then the exhaust pipe (with resonator), then a muffler of your choice...
Keep the cat off. For tree huggers . To keep the check engine light off use a spark plug defouler (or nonfouler that is) and use it as a spacer with the second O2 sensor. O2 sensor will think the cat is there and doing it's job and should make the light go off (after clearing the code in the car's computer).

EDIT: didn't read all the previous nonsense. hahahaha. I'm running catless. Maybe a 3 or 4 hp increase (at the MAX) on my SC2. I'm in Ohio and never had trouble with it. I still vote for running catless. Sounds better IMO.

2002 Saturn SC2 // 178,xxx and counting // SPS "C.A.I" (lol) & Strut Bar // MOMO Rims // Short Throw Shifter // HKS Fart Can // Tint All Around //

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vizion98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vizion98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vizion98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
Jack Black
Jack Black is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Why remove? The car was designed to have that cat in place, back pressure etc.. I did cat back on my last 99 wagon, 2 1/4 back into a magna flow ( free flow, stainless muffler ), my only gripe was not spending the extra $30 for a resonator.. Sounded kind of nice at first, then realized it really sounded rice.. Grandma's grocery getter seems a lot less dignified when it louder than intended.. If your going to build it, do it with thought process, not by the seat of your pants.. There are high flow cats available as well, though they are not legal in my state...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jack Black's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jack Black reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jack Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #16
vizion98
vizion98 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
Why remove? The car was designed to have that cat in place, back pressure etc.. I did cat back on my last 99 wagon, 2 1/4 back into a magna flow ( free flow, stainless muffler ), my only gripe was not spending the extra $30 for a resonator.. Sounded kind of nice at first, then realized it really sounded rice.. Grandma's grocery getter seems a lot less dignified when it louder than intended.. If your going to build it, do it with thought process, not by the seat of your pants.. There are high flow cats available as well, though they are not legal in my state...
The cat is only there for emissions. Removing it creates less restriction. High flow cat is a waste of money. I live really close to Fairborn (Dayton Ohio) and no one cares around here/we don't have to pass emissions. Cat's weren't put on cars until 1975 and they aren't really necessary. Personal preference I suppose.

2002 Saturn SC2 // 178,xxx and counting // SPS "C.A.I" (lol) & Strut Bar // MOMO Rims // Short Throw Shifter // HKS Fart Can // Tint All Around //

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vizion98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vizion98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vizion98 is offline   Reply With Quote