SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
Anne
Anne is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Question New Owner 1999 SL2, Dash Noise

Two weeks ago I purchased 1999 Saturn SL2 with 76,000 miles. So far I am up to about $1200 in repairs. Thanks to this forum I diagnosed two of the problems; motor mounts and a stuck open thermostat. I am not a mechanic and don't have the physical ability to work on cars beyond very basic things like add fluids.

Last week I had the thermostat replaced because the car never came up to temp and was sucking up gas. I told them to replace the ECTS and to check the ECTS connection. I also complained of a noise of water moving behind the dash ac and heater controls. I had asked for a mechanic that I knew was knowledgeable about Saturns and I ended up with a kid who tried to tell me that it was normal for the temp gage to get no higher then 1/4. Well they replaced what I asked for and told me the thermostat was stuck open. They replaced it with a 188 deg. Stant. They also replaced the ECTS and the connection was good. Previously I had the serpentine belt replaced.

They tried to tell me that noise in the dash was due to a clogged Ac system and blew air up the drain to unclog it.

When I drove the car away it sounded like Niagra Falls in the dash and was much worse. I did reading on the forum and burped the system by letting the car run with the coolant cap off and added coolant. Much of the noise has gone away, but I still have it a little. I notice the noise more when the car is cold in the A.M., sometimes when accelerating and sometimes on a turn. It is the same type of noise I heard when I put my foot on the gas with the coolant cap off.

I am wandering if I have air getting into the cooling system. I see no leaks and the coolant level is stable. I have the coolant level, when cold, in the mid range between the max and min lines. Maybe a slight noise in the dash is normal? I suspect the 188 deg. thermostat is on the low side, from what I have read. should I add more coolant?

I am grateful for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Anne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Anne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: New Owner 1999 SL2, Dash Noise

You're more intelligent than most mechanics when you did your homework to have the coolant sensor and t-stat replaced. Ignore the slight difference in temps; overall, the coolant sensor corrects the faulty plastic one that has a direct effect on what the engine computer sees. The t-stat influences the coolant sensor so the combination replacement is a great start on basic maintenance. Move on.

Sloshing sounds from the heater may be signs of a partially blocked heater core, the two heater core hoses or one coolant outlet fitting. There are many threads covering each part blocking coolant flow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Anne

1999 SL2

Thanks for the good advice. This forum is great!
I added a little more coolant and the sloshing sounds seem to be going away. Will keep my ears on it and read the other threads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Anne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Anne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
I am not a mechanic and don't have the physical ability to work on cars beyond very basic things like add fluids.
You don't have to answer, but do you say this due to arm strength? There are actually a surprising number of female forum members who do their own work on here.

there are some members who have physical disabilities or are aged, too, and use this forum mostly for advice, so they don't have to pay for a mechanic guessing and fumbling around

Quote:
I had asked for a mechanic that I knew was knowledgeable about Saturns and I ended up with a kid
sigh. there are few mechanics with Saturn-specific knowledge these days.
Quote:
They tried to tell me that noise in the dash was due to a clogged Ac system and blew air up the drain to unclog it.
Since you are from MA, you might be near richpin (Boston). You can double check the drain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcEZ1OGPkUw

who is richpin"
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181601

If you can't / don't want to jack the car up yourself, you can ask/tell them next time the car is up on the hoist for some other reason (oil change, tire rotation, etc) to stick a pen or small screwdriver in there. You can show them where, if needed, after watching the video

If they only blew air in, it may not have cleared the blockage.
Quote:
I am wandering if I have air getting into the cooling system. I see no leaks and the coolant level is stable. I have the coolant level, when cold, in the mid range between the max and min lines. Maybe a slight noise in the dash is normal?
I don't hear sloshing, don't think it's normal. Personally, I would bring the coolant up to the max line or just under. Been driving that way for years.

Incidentally, the cold low mark is halfway up on the reservoir. when I first filled mine, I did not look closely at it, just filled the reservoir up to half like I always did. Was rewarded with an intermittent 'low coolant' light until I figured it out
Quote:
I suspect the 188 deg. thermostat is on the low side, from what I have read.
It's probably OK. The tstat sold by Autozone is marked 188, and works fine from what people say. Some are marked by what temp they first open, others by when they are fully open.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Anne

1999 SL2

Thanks Alordofchaos! This forum is the best!

I don't have the arm strength and have some physical disabilities preventing doing the work myself, so for me the forum is to point the mechanic in the right direction and also to make sure they don't rip me off.

I watched the video on the ac drain. I have no water on the cabin carpet. I have no musty smell when the ac runs and I did see some water coming out when it was on the lift one time. Also, the last mechanic stuck the end of a special camera up the drain and when he could see nothing told me it was water stuck in the condenser and the dash needed to be taken apart. Ya Sure!

I now have the coolant level just under the max line. The noise is very faint now compared to what it was.

I don't do highway driving, just around the city. I don't know if the car needs some highway driving to burp out any air?

My next move will be to go back to the repair shop and insist on the one mechanic that knows about Saturns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Anne's Reputation
Old 09-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I believe RichPin and his home garage are someplace in the Greater Grafton area west of Boston. If you live out that way, he'd be someone I'd get to know!!! He is very knowledgeable about cars and is a straight-up guy with a terrific New England accent!!!

Best of luck with your new-to-you purchase.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
Anne

1999 SL2

Thanks, I am East of Boston. Grafton is a ways I think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Anne's Reputation
Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Interesting that more coolant is reducing the noise. I wonder if it's possible that you are actually hearing coolant sloshing in the reservoir?

I doubt it is air in the system. This post shows the coolant loops, and it is designed to be 'self-burping' as any air should move to the high point of the flows, which is the reservoir itself and the line that feed it (link in the post is to a diagram - you can see the line at the top that feeds the reservoir)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=21

Do you have a large, grey fiber mat under the bottom of the hood?
And do you have the foam screen vent thing under the hood, just under the passenger corner of the windshield? (link to picture in first post of this thread)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99348

Grafton looks to be about 30 miles west of Boston. Still, maybe worth sending a PM and driving out there. You're talking about maybe a couple hours of time and under $20 of gas, compared to a local garage that may be charging $90+ in labor and replacing parts that don't need replacing. (No idea if richpin is actually a mechanic or what/if he charges). It's just really hard diagnosing a noise over the internet

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
700+SL2
700+SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1993 SW2

I can't help as my 99 SW2 has the same issue so I'm interested in the fix.
But I'm from north of Boston. Welcome

Ressurecting a 1995 SL2 mileage unknown.
...and a 95 SW2 207K
...and a 93 SW2 140K
...and a 00 LS2 95K
...and a 01 LW300 112K

99 SW2 parts wagon
94 SW2 parts wagon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 700+SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 700+SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
700+SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
Anne

1999 SL2

In reply to Alordofchaos:

Yes, there is a large grey fiber mat under the hood and yes there is a foam screen vent under the hood.

The noise is less frequent now and not as loud.

In reply to 700+SL2:

Have you tried any fix?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Anne's Reputation
Old 09-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #11
700+SL2
700+SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1993 SW2

Not yet. Prev owner thought water was trapped in heater box since it also had a musty smell. Tried blowing out evaporator drain (not sure if I suceeded) but did look at the evap core and it was nasty. Cleaned that up. I think that solved the smell but haven't tackled the noise.
I'm going to try adding more coolant as it does sound like air gurgling. Though I don't know how air can be continuously trapped and only on startup.

Ressurecting a 1995 SL2 mileage unknown.
...and a 95 SW2 207K
...and a 93 SW2 140K
...and a 00 LS2 95K
...and a 01 LW300 112K

99 SW2 parts wagon
94 SW2 parts wagon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 700+SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 700+SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
700+SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
Anne

1999 SL2

I have no musty smell at all. I mostly notice the noise now at start up when I back out of the drive way and turn onto the street. Please post back if you end up with a successful fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Anne's Reputation