SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
mtoddm
mtoddm is on a distinguished road

Question Is my clutch bad?

Hi. 2004 Saturn ION with 120K and manual transmission. I was driving and the clutch pedal came all the way up and the car stalled. I was able to push the pedal back down and drive it to the shop. The shop said the clutch needs replaced and the flywheel needs reground. The clutch seems to work now and it hasn't been slipping now or before. The repair quote was over $1000 though I haven't got any other estimates. Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mtoddm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mtoddm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mtoddm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Is my clutch bad?

when you say the pedal came all the way up...as in it comes up almost high enough to hit the dashboard. if so, that just means the tip of the master cylinder rod is slipping out of the pedal. it shouldnt do any damage to anything, other than the fact that either that tip, or the slot on the pedal is wearing out. check to see a white clip is on the pedal, and pressed all the way in.

i had the same thing happen. i had to replace the master cylinder and clutch pedal, but still slips out. all i did was get some long zip ties, and wrapped it around the pedal, and behind a panel in the foot well, then adjusted it to the height i wanted it to stop, and it never popped up again

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
mtoddm
mtoddm is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much. When I had to slow down real quick and my foot slipped off so I basically "popped" the clutch.

I talked to a mechanic friend and he said more or less the same thing. He reminded me that clutches slip before they fail.

I might have to try that your zip tie trick if it keeps happening.

I more mad at the shop that told me the clutch needed replaced. I have been going to them for years and my landlords even longer so surprised that they tried to pull this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mtoddm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mtoddm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mtoddm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

they might have meant clutch pedal.
the first time its slipped off my foot, it never stayed on the rob anymore, even with a new pedal and master cylinder, so thats when the zips ties came in lol

if i remember right, theres a tiny section in the pedal, where the rod rests, that is removable if its damaged. there should also be a white clip on the outside of the pedal thats supposed to help the pedal grip the rod. make sure thats pushed in all the way.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote